General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR mods and dieting 101

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
VTR mods and dieting 101

Well, another summer coming around, another round of mods on the VTR. Nothing too insane this year but I have invested in a few items to shave weight, including:
- race-style fuel cap (-0.5 lb)
- Turntech battery (- 6lbs)
- carbon fibre front fender
- aluminum fairing bolts
- aluminum fairing stay
- Ontario Moto Tech triple clamps (aluminum lower clamp and stem)
- aluminum steering stem bolt

I also removed the rear inner panels in the fairing.

All told, these should help me shed close to 10 lbs, much of it placed fairly high up. I will also be replacing and re-locating my oil cooler. While there will be a very minor weight loss here (lines will be much shorter), the new cooler will be mounted much lower on the bike (small change, but it all adds up).

Other mods done or coming include:
- BMC air filter (thanks to Markus, aka Tweety)
- ceramic coating of Akra exhaust
- one new fork leg (to replace the right one which is perpetually blowing seals)
- new fork slider for left side (current one has slight chip in the chrome; no leaks, but it bugs me)
- new bushings and seals in both legs
- ceramic bearings in wheels
- 190/55 BT-016 rear tire
- aluminum valve stems
- new (used) front rotors (current ones have over 80K miles on them...)
- LED (smoke)taillight with integrated signals
- painted chin fairing (blue to match bike)
- new handlebar grips (black with red accents)
- Hella 100/55W bulb

Looking forward to getting it out

Last edited by mikstr; 03-26-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Well, another summer coming around, another round of mods on the VTR. Nothing too insane this year but I have invested in a few items to shave weight, including:
- race-style fuel cap (-0.5 lb)
- Turntech battery (- 6lbs)
- carbon fibre front fender
- aluminum fairing bolts
- aluminum fairing stay
- Ontario Moto Tech triple clamps (aluminum lower clamp and stem)
- aluminum steering stem bolt

I also removed the rear inner panels in the fairing.

All told, these should help me shed close to 10 lbs, much of it placed fairly high up. I will also be replacing and re-locating my oil cooler. While there will be a very minor weight loss here (lines will be much shorter), the new cooler will be mounted much lower on the bike (small change, but it all adds up).

Other mods done or coming include:
- BMC air filter (thanks to Markus, aka Tweety)
- ceramic coating of Akra exhaust
- one new fork leg (to replace the right one which is perpetually blowing seals)
- new fork slider for left side (current one has slight chip in the chrome; no leaks, but it bugs me)
- new bushings and seals in both legs
- ceramic bearings in wheels
- 190/55 BT-016 rear tire
- aluminum valve stems
- new (used) front rotors (current ones have over 80K miles on them...)
- LED (smoke)taillight with integrated signals
- painted chin fairing (blue to match bike)
- new handlebar grips (black with red accents)
- Hella 100/55W bulb

Looking forward to getting it out
Hmm... 190/55 sounds right... But mine is sitting on a CBR 1000RR wheel, and it's a Power Pure... The ceramic bearibgs will have to wait, as I'm contemplating a set of Carrozzeria V-Tracks...

Aluminium fairing stay... Already have that, plus an aluminium seatframe... And even though the lower triple of a CBR 1000RR is aluminium I kind of doubt it's weight saving... It's effin beefy...

Also done this winter is a little massage on the heads... Around 116 at the wheel... But with a big beefy mountain of torque thanks to the stacks...

Oh and for the Turntech, $199 plus shipping is a bit steep... I got 100 A123 cells for a bit over $400 with shipping... And that makes packs for more than one bike, plus a few for RC planes... And I got lots of soldering equipment... Damn those cells are powerful... 4 of them cranks the VTR as long as a 1y old Yuasa on a fresh charge... I didn't try 8 of them yet, but I doubt I'll ever need it even though I'm going to make an 8 cell pack like yours...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM
MotoGP

OCMD all the way brother, lol
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
MotoGP

OCMD all the way brother, lol
Oh, it's worse this winter than normal... My season last year was cut short by my little biking accident, so I have had plenty of time on my hands...

BTW I think I'm running out of things to modify... All the rest of my ideas cost to much money to be really fun...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I need to ask, what does "OCMD" mean?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

Obsessive Compulsive Modification Disorder...

Can't remember who said it first on the forum, but it kind of stuck... And yeah, I have ALL the symptoms... As does mikstr...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
BTW I think I'm running out of things to modify... All the rest of my ideas cost to much money to be really fun...
I can really and truly relate I am doing my damndest to put off my rebuild and get those stinkin' JE pistons in there (with a crank balancing of course, lol)......
Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys and all your mods...

It's getting kind of ridiculous, I'd say!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
keep it up and eventually only the VIN plate remains stock
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
MotoGP

Heh... You two should really be the one's to talk... Your bikes aren't that stock either are they...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
You guys and all your mods...

It's getting kind of ridiculous, I'd say!
Oh no, I think my gf hacked into RCVTR`s account!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Heh... You two should really be the one's to talk... Your bikes aren't that stock either are they...
I meant that as a goal! not a criticism
Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

BTW mikstr... I weighted the stock rims vs the new CBR one's when I swapped rubber... I'm not posting numbers, it's embarrasing for Honda... But the CBR rear wheel with the cush drive and rotor in place is lighter than the stock front... The stock rear is ridiculous... I had to use two hands for the bare rim and cushdrive, and the CBR with tire was still lighter...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:33 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
I meant that as a goal! not a criticism
Ah...Ok then... I never saw a reason to modify the VIN...

My father actually tried listing untouched parts on my bike a while back... He gave up after getting stuck at less than 10 pieces...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

BTW mikstr... I weighted the stock rims vs the new CBR one's when I swapped rubber... I'm not posting numbers, it's embarrasing for Honda... But the CBR rear wheel with the cush drive and rotor in place is lighter than the stock front... The stock rear is ridiculous... I had to use two hands for the bare rim and cushdrive, and the CBR with tire was still lighter...
I know, that is why I am anxiously awaiting my PVMs......
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

Actually looking at the figures, the stock cush drive weights as much as the whole CBR wheel sans tire... That's stupid... There is no other word for it...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
1st your nuts and must not have a family to support or at least spend quality time with. LOL

next, what year cbr1000rr and what did you have to do to fit it with axle, spacers, caliper, rotor, etc?

Hmm... 190/55 sounds right... But mine is sitting on a CBR 1000RR wheel, and it's a Power Pure... The ceramic bearibgs will have to wait, as I'm contemplating a set of Carrozzeria V-Tracks...

Aluminium fairing stay... Already have that, plus an aluminium seatframe... And even though the lower triple of a CBR 1000RR is aluminium I kind of doubt it's weight saving... It's effin beefy...

Also done this winter is a little massage on the heads... Around 116 at the wheel... But with a big beefy mountain of torque thanks to the stacks...

Oh and for the Turntech, $199 plus shipping is a bit steep... I got 100 A123 cells for a bit over $400 with shipping... And that makes packs for more than one bike, plus a few for RC planes... And I got lots of soldering equipment... Damn those cells are powerful... 4 of them cranks the VTR as long as a 1y old Yuasa on a fresh charge... I didn't try 8 of them yet, but I doubt I'll ever need it even though I'm going to make an 8 cell pack like yours...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Fairing Stay

MKSTR,

What is the brand name of the fairing stay and where did you get.
I will naturally assume the $$ was way out there!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
MotoGP

I picked it up from a fellow forum member who was selling it for $40 (was listed here for a long time but no one stepped up to buy it....). He also bought it used and is not 100% what brand it is but there is one on eBay by Graves that he says looks identical and it is selling for $160.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
1st your nuts and must not have a family to support or at least spend quality time with. LOL

next, what year cbr1000rr and what did you have to do to fit it with axle, spacers, caliper, rotor, etc?
Heh... My significant other usually orders me out of the house and into the garage when I start pacing to much... She says I'm a lot more enjoyable to be around if she lets me play a bit now and then...

It's a wheel from an 05 i believe, and the solution to all the other questions is an swingarm from an RC51 SP2...

With that in place you just pop the CBR spacers on the wheel and bolt it up with the RC axle... Everything lines up nicely as the rotor and caliper is the same for all the bikes VTR/RC/CBR, the only difference being the mount... The SP wheels and CBR wheels are interchangeable on those bikes with some minimal fussing so it applies here as well...
Old 03-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Back Marker

I picked it up from a fellow forum member who was selling it for $40 (was listed here for a long time but no one stepped up to buy it....). He also bought it used and is not 100% what brand it is but there is one on eBay by Graves that he says looks identical and it is selling for $160.
After 10 years, the passenger seat is getting to my wife. Hence why she isn't complaining about me looking at a sport tourer.
That will now allow me to turn the Firestorm into a track only bike. The front fairing stay is only 1 of many mods that need to be done to lighten the bike. The new race fairing is on the bike and will be going in for painting. I will check out the eBay listing. I've been reading all the front end swaps mods for some time and that will be the next major mod. I trying to determine which mod is the simplest and then start the the acquisition of parts. I read Tweety's thread about the CBR wheel weights .
Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by D VTR RIDER
After 10 years, the passenger seat is getting to my wife. Hence why she isn't complaining about me looking at a sport tourer.
That will now allow me to turn the Firestorm into a track only bike. The front fairing stay is only 1 of many mods that need to be done to lighten the bike. The new race fairing is on the bike and will be going in for painting. I will check out the eBay listing. I've been reading all the front end swaps mods for some time and that will be the next major mod. I trying to determine which mod is the simplest and then start the the acquisition of parts. I read Tweety's thread about the CBR wheel weights .
Basicly the easiest swap would be the RC51(SP1/SP2) as those forks are longer than the rest and hence closer to stock... Also, all of them use the same 929/954 triple setup (unless you cut fairings and use the RC triples)

But if you are going for a trackbike I'd probably choose the CBR 1000RR, cuz it has the heaviest stock springs, and radial brakes...

Then for the wheels... I'm fairly certain a 600RR/1000RR (the difference is 5.5"/6") rear rim can be fitted to the stock swingarm using new bearings and custom turned spacers with rather minimal effort... The alignment is the same, the rotor and caliper/mount is the same (with alignment) so the only real difference is the axle size...

Or just go the whole 9-yard and stick a SP2 swingarm on there... I promise you won't be disappointed by the result...
Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
good list, i found it easier for me to loose weight, cheaper too, 27 pounds in 6 weeks boys. the chickens gonna fly now
Old 03-27-2010, 05:37 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
How did you do that? I could lose 27lbs myslef! JB
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 AM
SuperBike

Its not that's hard. Just tales some dedication. I eat about 1700 calories a day. That includes my fruit and 2 salads. Multil grain cherios for breakfast and some cottage cheese. Skim milk. Have a meal replacment snack bar for brunch. Lean cuisine or other such low cal microwaveable lunch with salad. Apple for snack an then a dinner with salad. Totaling 1700 calories. And for a later snack a handful of the same cherios or usually my protein shake fills me up and that counts towards the calories too. And I hit the gym 4-5 times a week for around 2 hours a night. The protein helps you maintain the muscle you gain otherwise it'll fade with the fat. So far its working. My buddy I work out with on the same plan lost 90 pounds in the last year. My goal is 50 and see how I'm feeling from there
Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 AM
SuperBike

Forgot to meniont. No booze no pop no sugary drinks. Just water. Beer bloats you. I had a few drinks with some beers and put on 10 pounds of water weight. It dehydrates you and your body stores water. After a few days it'll go away but its terrible jumping on the scale a couple days after drinking and seeing that you put on that much weight. Lol
Old 03-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Excellent thread hijack Uchi, but I have to say that is excellent resolve and an even better result.
Mikstr, have you been keeping an eye on the front to rear weight distribution? I know you can move around on the seat to help, but has there been any major change with the mods you have done?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:51 PM
MotoGP

I have not checked the total weight of the bike, nor the distribution, although I must confess I have been wondering about that very point. I will look at getting numbers for both ASAP. An educated guess, I would think I am down over 50 lbs now (or more).
Old 03-27-2010, 05:16 PM
SuperBike

Haha yeah sorry about the threadjack guys. Not my intention
Old 03-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

Tweety

Thanks for your comments regarding possible mods. The front end mod is high on my list and I will need to start looking for the parts.

Quick Reply: VTR mods and dieting 101