General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Exhaust change

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
Exhaust change

Hi Gang,

The bike I just bought has D&D on it and I want to go back to the stock. THe PO has jetted the bike. Will I need to re- install the original jets so there are no issues?

Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Most likely yes you should go back to stock or it likely will run too rich... Depending on what jetting is in there now you may be OK - try it and see how it runs... The spark plug color will tell you how its running.

Originally Posted by jserio
Hi Gang,

The bike I just bought has D&D on it and I want to go back to the stock. THe PO has jetted the bike. Will I need to re- install the original jets so there are no issues?

Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
do you already have stock exhaust? if not, ill trade you!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Squid

Laynout is on a distinguished road
Just curious, but why do you want to swap back to a stock exhaust?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
my guess is because d&d are annoying or he wants a quieter ride.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Squid

spencerlvevacque is on a distinguished road
DnD's are one of the best in my opinion. Question tho. if a person chooses to cut their exhaust in half will they have to re-jet? OR what about if they pull the packing out? Will they have to do anything?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spencerlvevacque
DnD's are one of the best in my opinion. Question tho. if a person chooses to cut their exhaust in half will they have to re-jet? OR what about if they pull the packing out? Will they have to do anything?
Jetting is a toss up depending if its been jetted.usually stock jetting with any exhaust other than stock causes a stumble around 3-4 k rpm.

The only thing you will have to do if you pull the packing or cut cans in half is avoid police and your neighboors.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
I've carefully been analyzing the Hawk stumble while riding. I've noticed the power delivery is smooth and predictable regardless of the sound. I expected trouble from the burble powering out of corners or in the wet or other loose conditions. I have found her to be as smooth as my throttle action can make it.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Back Marker

Personally, I love the exhaust. It sounds like my Corvette on anabolic steroids....

I know my neighbors will soon come to hate me even more. I am sure the Vette rattles their china when I come down the street.

NOW, I have another question. What gets better gas mileage? I would figure the open exhaust would get better BUT with bigger jets feeding more fuel..... This is confusing me.

Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Learn to love the rumble!!

Your right hand is going to be the biggest difference in the gas mileage. You also need to see if the stock gearing is on the bike, my bike got much better gas mileage with the stock gearing then with the smaller counter shaft sprocket. I went one tooth smaller than stock. The rideability is so nice with the pipes and a jet kit, so I would not even bother trying to go back to stock.

Dennis
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Joe, if the bike will make more power then it is obviously more efficient. You should get better gas mileage if you compare apples to apples with riding habits. Problem is, once it makes more power then you want to use it and ultimately get worse mileage.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Back Marker

I so feel the love with that one. They are loud though. Man in my townhouse development at 7:30 you can hear the cricket. I just fired the bike up a moment ago and all hell broke loose. My wife hadn't heard the bike yet since I brought it home. I walk in the house and she goes " Was that you? ". I just smiles.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
There are some very creative and pretty smart people on this forum. Why has no one made a set of temporary silencers to put on the end of pipes? You could use said silencers when you are warming up the bike, or pulling out of your neighborhood. They would need to be small so they could fit under the seat after you got down the road. I absolutely know I would buy a set from whoever made them for a fair price. I don't know enough about these things to do it. What do you say people?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 AM
dave
Squid

yellowstorm is on a distinguished road
staintune muffler have removeable baffles to keep the noise down & still have a good power range
Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Jardine QMI2

Originally Posted by lhoward1134
There are some very creative and pretty smart people on this forum. Why has no one made a set of temporary silencers to put on the end of pipes? You could use said silencers when you are warming up the bike, or pulling out of your neighborhood. They would need to be small so they could fit under the seat after you got down the road. I absolutely know I would buy a set from whoever made them for a fair price. I don't know enough about these things to do it. What do you say people?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...&highlight=QMI

it aint a fair price; but they are effective

Part Number: 18-QMI2
Product Name: RT1 QUIET MODULE INSERT FOR 2" TIP

Description:
RT1 QUIET MODULE INSERT FOR 2" TIP

UNIVERSAL

The QMI is a sound attenuation device that installs easily in under a minute. You can now have the best of both worlds. Maximum power from a race core or the neighborhood friendly tones of the QMI unit. Specifically designed for race core equipped modles. The QMI allows you the option of substanially decreasing the sound level of your racing system when you need to. Constructed from aluminum billet and CNC'd to exacting tolerances, the module features a "red" high temperature silicone O-ring to assure proper sealing. Decreases sound levels an average of 6-8 decibels on race core equiped modles. That correlates to an average sound level of 92-95 dbA with the QMI installed. May require jetting change. Our Price: $35.00
Old 05-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
I so feel the love with that one. They are loud though. Man in my townhouse development at 7:30 you can hear the cricket. I just fired the bike up a moment ago and all hell broke loose. My wife hadn't heard the bike yet since I brought it home. I walk in the house and she goes " Was that you? ". I just smiles.
I live at the end of the my road at a cul-de-sac.. 6:30 am every morning if it's not gonna rain, year round... Fire the bike up and **** off the neighbors.. l left the bike running one day and ran back in the house for something... MY dishes were rattling.. Dogs barking across the street.. Yeah, all hell broke loose.. I dont go rolling out at 4k RPM or anything.. mostly idle... but it still thumps hard...