Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

High idle after TPS change & aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Squid

collectiv
High idle after TPS change & aftermarket exhaust

Hey all,

I have a few questions,
I put back together my bike along with a set of high mount devil racers but for some reason, the bike is ideling higher than normal and is making a backfire kinda sound. You can actually feel it when you get behind the bike and hold your hand close to the exhaust exit.

Initially, when I put back together my bike i broke the choke cable. Right now, she is only operating on 1 choke cable and the other is closed off with tape, would you think that might be causing the problem? Or would it possibly be the throttle cable and having it to be adjusted?

Any suggestions would be great.

Oh yeah, I was able to adjust the TPS to 500 ohms on the dot.

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 AM
SuperSport

Loco
The choke cables work backward. The needles stay in the choke-hole until you retract them by "engaging" your choke ****. This means that even though you put tape over that hole, you are still on half a choke cycle. There's your problem.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Squid

collectiv
Re: High idle after TPS change & aftermarket exhaust

THANK GOD, ahahaha. I really wouldn't in the mood to start troubleshooting something this time of the year. ahaah.

You know something, I couldn't believe how much more power was gained just by installing the devil highmounts, WOAH!!!.

I took her out last night for a spin, she came up so much easier it kinda caught me off guard. Wicked man, wicked. LOL.

The hardest thing with the reassembling part was the airbox. Trying to allign all of the hoses was a nightmare. Holy Moly.

Just thinking that i'm going to have to remove it again next week to reinstall the choke cable makes me wanna puke, LOL.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh yeah, 1 more thing. I was kinda P.O'd when I was installing my pipes, they didn't supply any gaskets where the stock pipe connects to the aftermarket pipe. There are quite a few leaks around it so I should get some.

That is all,

Cheers,

Eddie
Old 04-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Squid

collectiv
Re: High idle after TPS change & aftermarket exhaust

Just some more information, the bike idles @ about 1200 RPM but when she warms up, it goes to about 1700 RPM and when you blip the throttle, it comes down slow once below 2000 RPM. Would this still be symptoms of a half a choke?

Acceleration is still excellent all the way through so I thought that it wouldn't be the TPS change.

Eddie