General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

dump arrs question.(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
I think there is always some progression, nobody buy hawk (firestorm) and does all the hard mods like RC51 front and swingarm.

I ride firestorm for four years now, 3 years remains unchanged but last year I´ve started with upgrades. First was steering damper, then I found this forum and did suspension and brakes - Racetech front, JD rear shock, CBR brakes. Thought I am finished and this year will ride only.

Now I am going to buy slipons, FactoryPro carb kit, fork brace, velocity stacks, APE cct, do lighten flywheel.

These changes are not radical and only improve current characteristic, but cannot say I won´t do some more changes further.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by r80gsman
that is the beauty of the SH... i have been cursed with long arms so even on a cbr i can still sit mostly up rite. were i get into trouble is long tank bikes.. the r1150rs we have, is a great bike but the siting position kills me, i can get used to it and ride for some time but kills me. i feel like i am stretch over.

i could get shot for this:
i guess another question is who here that uses there bike for touring(7k+ annually) modify and why?....
Pretty close... I have averaged 6.5k a year over the time i have owned my bike...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I average about 10,000 miles per year with my VTR (used to be more prior to the birth of my daughter). As for the reasons for modding, well, there are many:
i) to overcome the bike's natural shortcomings (suspension, brakes, so/so seat)
ii) to make it a better performer (slip-ons, jet kit,....)
iii) to try new things and make it unique

For me, a lot has to do with an on-going project. I have always dreamt of having a bike (or snowmobile) that I could play on and mod, trying new things, letting my imagination run wild. Now with eBay, I can play without breaking the bank. Also, thanks to site like this (and vtr1000.org), I can get great ideas, ask questions and great meaningful advice to help me along the way.

One ride on my VTR and you easily understand what it's all about. In every possible way it's a better bike, lighter, faster, more reponsive, better handling, more comfortable,.... It is the bike Honda could have (should have?) built, it's unique (in its own way, as are all modded bikes), and, best of all, it's mine. It's also one hell of a sleeper!

FWIW, I had a short stint as editor of a bike mag and got to ride many new bikes (including Duc 1098S, 848, Bandit 1250, Duke, RC8, Versys, R1200, F650GS, R1200GS, Varadero, ....) and while they were all great in their own way, none made me smile the way my VTR does.

Last edited by mikstr; 01-16-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I had a short stint as editor of a bike mag and got to ride many new bikes (including Duc 1098S, 848, Bandit 1250, Duke, RC8, Versys, R1200, F650GS, R1200GS, Varadero, ....) and while they were all great in their own way, none made me smile the way my VTR does.

cheers.

i would like to ride the varadero...
Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I worked as bike mag editor for 18 months but the hours were insane (not all glam like many think, not at this particular mag anyhow, to say we were understaffed would a massive understatement).

One other item I forgot to mention: Here in Quebec, the govt. started pricing the plates on sportbikes so as to basically remove them from the road (ie. $1400/year, albeit with liability insurance, but still insane) but the VTR, luckily, is considered standard so costs only half as much. I look at it as giving me $700/year to spend on mods
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
One other item I forgot to mention: Here in Quebec, the govt. started pricing the plates on sportbikes so as to basically remove them from the road (ie. $1400/year, albeit with liability insurance, but still insane) but the VTR, luckily, is considered standard so costs only half as much. I look at it as giving me $700/year to spend on mods

Quebec is pretty nuts for that plate thing... some Ontario regulations are pretty fruity as well.

Anything branded Salvage can't be put back on the road in Ontario, (sometimes a major problem when buying a bike from Quebec, definitly the place to go when you want a sportbike at a decent price.)

Our insurance costs are insane - Standard $2,000,000.00 liability, 100% surcharge on sportbikes with most insurance companies (Statefarms the exception). Insurance should be government regulated here... way too high.

Mikstr, you're situation makes perfect sense as to why you would heavily mod your Firestorm.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
For me, I am too heavy for the stock suspension and it was cheaper to put a different front end on it than to re spring and revalve the stock front end. (because I got my front already resprung for close to my weight for a steal) The rest of my mods were similarly cheap and or aesthetic changes.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Men modify their toys, and women modify their men.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
Men modify their toys, and women modify their men.
women try to modify their men,