General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

dump arrs question.(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
dump arrs question.(s)

so here we go!

why modify the superhawk so much that it would seem that if you went out and bought a good used rc-51 with good mods it would be cheaper and probably out perform the SH....??? what am i missing other than gear head like to modify..(i am one too)

i found a picture, but did not save it, of a bloke that took a damaged RC and clothed it in SH attire. so in a sense he had a race prep. SH.

i was looking at the RCs the other day, my wife has her eye on my SH as her next sport bike. i found a RC with 9k on it with all the normal farkles from a 65 year old man for 4500$ has the HRC paint which i like. there was one at the insurance auction that had been laid down that went for 500$
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Buy it now. How can you go wrong at $4500. You can still use the VTR when your wife lets you
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by D VTR RIDER
Buy it now. How can you go wrong at $4500. You can still use the VTR when your wife lets you

gotta move a 78 bmw r100rs euro spec first.... then??
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Ive thought many times about ditching the hawk for an rc. Mostly when im surrounded by parts in my garage with half a motorcycle wondering what the hell am i doing, I could be out riding. There is something about the bike that I just want it to the best at what it could be. My biggest thing is having something that you dont see everyday. I have 8 different people that I ride with that have rc's and they all look almost exactly the same and 3 of them had superhawks before their rc's. I think its a shame. They probably asked their selves exactly what you asked. I personally love to ride something unique and something I can be proud of...
Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It all comes down to what you want to do with it.
In simple terms, the SuperHawk is a better street bike and the RC is a better track bike.

So what do you plan on doing with the bike?

Mostly street riding? Get a SH
If you will spend most of your time at the track, get an RC
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Squid

the question is not which is a better bike, the question is why take a good street bike and put a different swing arm and suspension on it, then put a different front end on it, rig the motor to run different, put different brakes & wheels on, for better or worse.

that was my intent for the first question, was not comparing.. does doing all the said "upgrade" still make it a superhawk??

to me all this takes the SH bike out of the bike and turns it in to a track bike which one can buy already, rc51. i looked for a SH on purpose, i think it is best of both world, can ride it aggressive but yet relax and get a good ride out of it. it is not great at either, it is in the middle. confortable for touring and racy enough for turning some turns.

just idle chatter.. not chastising for mods, as i often get cought it the mod wheel my self. i struggle with this.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
I think it's mostly about comfort.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I've got my 929 for track days. Had that thing for 6 years, it owes me nothing.

If I want a bike with a 929 front end, 320mm discs, swapped swingarm, worked suspension, etc. I'll ride that.

I have the Hawk because it's more comfortable as a streetbike. I'm doing little modifications when a good deal comes up, but these mods will be to turn it into a better streetbike, not turn an excellent streetbike into a mediocre trackbike.

I'm putting a GIVI case on the back, and picked up an F4i front end to mess around with; probably drill it and put a 7/8" superbike bar on that.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by matt365
I'm doing little modifications when a good deal comes up, but these mods will be to turn it into a better streetbike, not turn an excellent streetbike into a mediocre trackbike.
You guys are damn funny...... who said anything about turning it into a track bike.

Then again, if you ride your 929 at more than a walking pace you might be able to understand how changing out the flexy flier front end, adding bigger brakes and stiffening the limp noodle swingarm might just make a SuperHawk a much better street bike.

So run your bike anyway you want but to degrade others because they want to make their SH the best bike it can be is pretty low class and shows where you guys heads are at......
Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by r80gsman
the question is not which is a better bike, the question is why take a good street bike and put a different swing arm and suspension on it, then put a different front end on it, rig the motor to run different, put different brakes & wheels on, for better or worse.
Because a competent rider can take a SH to its limits quite easily even on a rather sedate paced street ride.

So actually you are taking an OK street bike and turning it into a good street bike.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You guys are damn funny...... who said anything about turning it into a track bike.

Then again, if you ride your 929 at more than a walking pace you might be able to understand how changing out the flexy flier front end, adding bigger brakes and stiffening the limp noodle swingarm might just make a SuperHawk a much better street bike.

So run your bike anyway you want but to degrade others because they want to make their SH the best bike it can be is pretty low class and shows where you guys heads are at......

I only walk my bikes at a snails pace.

Who said anything about degrading others? I think the main purpose of this thread is "RC-51 makes a great track bike, VTR makes a great street bike".

To each their own, mod as much as you like. I personally think it's a great platform the way it is (minus the lackluster suspension).

Mine's got an Ohlins shock, and .85 springs, which is well set up for my body weight.

I'm about sensible mods on my VTR, I'm trying to make it a better streetbike, not throw tons of cash at it to make it a true supersport.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Technical stuff aside, I'm not really into motorcycles for the "sensibleness" of it all.

They are a terrible investment monetarily, so spending time/money on them by that token is pointless. Upgrading anything yourself is sometimes suspect when a team of engineers designed the bike to fit a specific purpose. So from that train of thought, instead of modding yours, just buy a different bike that was set up for your purpose.

I like getting my hands dirty. I like taking the pieces apart and seeing how it works. I like confirming my understanding by changing it. For me, part of what I was paying for in, say, a $450 upgraded front end, was entertainment in the build. I'm wouldn't be necessarily trying to make 13 year old technology compete with today's sports bikes. I guess all that it comes down to when asked, "why mod when there are better bikes out there?" is: Why not? I can do whatever I want!

Riding something unique and that you have modded has a certain appeal. Downside to this is that you may not ride as often due to the bike being out of service. And from a financial standpoint it's not necessarily practical. Resale value won't increase much. Warranties are usually voided. Things may not work sometimes.

Why put a Porsche motor in a VW bettle? The frame wasn't meant for it. The resale value isn't that good, and it won't handle like a Porsche. But people still do it. You could argue that it's a sh*tty Porsche, or a really unique and cool Beetle. It just depends on who you are and what you want out of your vehicle.

Just my $.02- and with inflation and all that won't buy a can of beans!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Squid

that is exactly the point, why do people do it?, not to degrade anyone for modding there SH, this is a discussion of why they/you do it. for what ever reason post it no one here is stepping on anyone's pride, some leave it mostly stock and ride it. others spend money making it something else or better or what ever... why? legitimate question.

my answer for myself is: i am not going to mod a my SH, if i want a ***** to the wall street bike, i will buy a RC-51. i think the combined money and time spent on modifying a SH could land me a real nice RC-51 which has all the chassis bracing, bigger brakes, better suspension better cornering characteristics.. ect...

this is no way meant to prove folly, one way or the other. my head is not stuck anywere... for some one to get offended at a question, that anyone would ask concerning knowledge shows the true nature of himself..

as fare as riding a SH to the limits, no one should be doing that on the public roads. with that said, i live in one of the best sport riding areas in the nation and some say in the world,, i can ride the hawk fast enough with ease to keep up with everyone and in some cases leave most in the wake, with stock suspension(not even set for my weight) and sport touring tires... hell I've kept up with a 83 r80 g/s, a dual-sport with 50hp. no need to take turns faster than 60mph.

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-15-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Who said anything about degrading others? I think the main purpose of this thread is "RC-51 makes a great track bike, VTR makes a great street bike"..
Well if you can't see how this next statement might just be taken as a bit of a put down, then there is no point is saying anymore

I have the Hawk because it's more comfortable as a streetbike. I'm doing little modifications when a good deal comes up, but these mods will be to turn it into a better streetbike, not turn an excellent streetbike into a mediocre trackbike..
See it's a matter of opinion, a SH is not an excellent bike in stock form. This is what most of the modders are addressing. Not just making mediocre track bikes....

I'm about sensible mods on my VTR, I'm trying to make it a better streetbike, not throw tons of cash at it to make it a true supersport.
See another put down..... anyone that makes mods you don't approve of is just not sensible....... Guess you do know better than any of the folks here.

So while you might not have intended to have your comments taken that way, you should be able to see how they can be
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned
MotoGP

that is exactly the point, why do people do it?, not to degrade anyone for modding there SH, this is a discussion of why they/you do it. for what ever reason post it no one here is stepping on anyone's pride, some leave it mostly stock and ride it. others spend money making it something else or better or what ever... why? legitimate question.

my answer for myself is: i am not going to mod a my SH, if i want a ***** to the wall street bike, i will buy a RC-51. i think the combined money and time spent on modifying a SH could land me a real nice RC-51 which has all the chassis bracing, bigger brakes, better suspension better cornering characteristics.. ect...
Have you ever ridden an RC51? If you have, then you wouldn't be asking why you wouldn't want one for a street bike. After a half hour or so it get pretty rough.....that and it wants to be ridden over 80% all the time so your license won't last long either..

this is no way meant to prove folly, one way or the other. my head is not stuck anywere... for some one to get offended at a question, that anyone would ask concerning knowledge shows the true nature of himself..

as fare as riding a SH to the limits, no one should be doing that on the public roads. with that said, i live in one of the best sport riding areas in the nation and some say in the world,, i can ride the hawk fast enough with ease to keep up with everyone and in some cases leave most in the wake, with stock suspension(not even set for my weight) and sport touring tires... hell I've kept up with a 83 r80 g/s, a dual-sport with 50hp. no need to take turns faster than 60mph.
I guess I'm just an *** then..... but i could really show my true nature if you really want.

Now for how you ride..... well I don't think you would be too happy on any of the group rides around here. That I do believe we have better roads here anyways....

That and if you think you are carrying any speed with stock suspension and crap tires, well you have a long way to go grasshopper.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Squid

Have you ever ridden an RC51? If you have, then you wouldn't be asking why you wouldn't want one for a street bike. After a half hour or so it get pretty rough.....that and it wants to be ridden over 80% all the time so your license won't last long either..

I guess I'm just an *** then..... but i could really show my true nature if you really want.

Now for how you ride..... well I don't think you would be too happy on any of the group rides around here. That I do believe we have better roads here anyways....

That and if you think you are carrying any speed with stock suspension and crap tires, well you have a long way to go grasshopper.

everyone can and is an *** at times, some more than others, no worries,

lived in Napa, and sonoma for a while, used to turn laps at sear point and laguna seca . on a ducati 996 and in a few Porsche s.... nothing spectacular. road on occasion though the valley and in the south a bit also... the roads were fast just not very technical as our roads. we have the most turns per mile than anywhere... as fare as speed, i can ride well into the "loose your license" area. and yes i can ride a bike with bad suspension and **** tires very fast(speed is a by-product for smooth percision).. can do it a car also.. when i have good tires and good suspension i can go/ride even faster. i have wore a few sets of dunlop 208 side walls out before the middle ( cbr 600 days).. i've ground pegs and exhaust pipes, had 2cd degree burns from hot leather on my hips and back from a crash on Caesars head. i've run 48 miles of curvy roads in under 30min. to be fair it was on a track prepped bike. one can research track lap records and find that there are quite a few still unbroken from the late 70s into the early 90. think about joey dunlop "king of the road" running IOM on his VF.. in the mid 80's and compare them to speeds of today. not that different and very close lap times. and today the susension and tires run on those bikes are **** to today's technology.. a true rider makes the bike not the 'bike makes the rider", may help though

i have ridden a Rc51. comfort was not too bad, just not on the interstate..

don't make the assumption that some one can not ride fast on a stock bike. granted that they would be faster on a well set up bike... and if you are riding like one should on public road, even over the speed limits, the stock hawk will do 80mph and 60 in open turns, anyone(not meaning you) doing faster than that is foolish.

my topic wasn't about how fast or can the hawk be a better street bike... fact is that it is a fine street bike with in the parameters of legal, and around legal riding speeds. fact is a rc51 is a fine street bike, not that comfortable unless one rides it way faster than it should be on the street. better than the hawk ridden at such limits, yes... but that is not what i am wanting to discuses..

i guess your answer to my question is: you modify for more performance, to make a better "street bike". ok, and fine... you may want to share what those mods have done and whether they made the bike more comfortable or more performance oriented with a compromise on comfort.

for the record i do think that the SH suspension should be set up for the rider, and do not consider this a modification, as i think regardless of what motorbike you ride your suspension should suit you.

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-15-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more spelling
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned
MotoGP

everyone can and is an *** at times, some more than others, no worries,

lived in Napa, and sonoma for a while, used to turn laps at sear point and laguna seca . on a ducati 996 and in a few Porsche s.... nothing spectacular. road on occasion though the valley and in the south a bit also... the roads were fast just not very technical as our roads. we have the most turns per mile than anywhere... as fare as speed, i can ride well into the "loose your license" area. and yes i can ride a bike with bad suspension and **** tires very fast(speed is a by-product for smooth percision).. can do it a car also.. when i have good tires and good suspension i can go/ride even faster. i have wore a few sets of dunlop 208 side walls out before the middle ( cbr 600 days).. i've ground pegs and exhaust pipes, had 2cd degree burns from hot leather on my hips and back from a crash on Caesars head. i've run 48 miles of curvy roads in under 30min. to be fair it was on a track prepped bike. one can research track lap records and find that there are quite a few still unbroken from the late 70s into the early 90. think about joey dunlop "king of the road" running IOM on his VF.. in the mid 80's and compare them to speeds of today. not that different and very close lap times. and today the susension and tires run on those bikes are **** to today's technology.. a true rider makes the bike not the 'bike makes the rider", may help though

i have ridden a Rc51. comfort was not too bad, just not on the interstate..

don't make the assumption that some one can not ride fast on a stock bike. granted that they would be faster on a well set up bike... and if you are riding like one should on public road, even over the speed limits, the stock hawk will do 80mph and 60 in open turns, anyone(not meaning you) doing faster than that is foolish.

my topic wasn't about how fast or can the hawk be a better street bike... fact is that it is a fine street bike with in the parameters of legal, and around legal riding speeds. fact is a rc51 is a fine street bike, not that comfortable unless one rides it way faster than it should be on the street. better than the hawk ridden at such limits, yes... but that is not what i am wanting to discuses..

i guess your answer to my question is: you modify for more performance, to make a better "street bike". ok, and fine... you may want to share what those mods have done and whether they made the bike more comfortable or more performance oriented with a compromise on comfort.

for the record i do think that the SH suspension should be set up for the rider, and do not consider this a modification, as i think regardless of what motorbike you ride your suspension should suit you.
Well with all the experience you have, one would think you would know the answers to the questions you have asked.

Then you talk about roads, well I guess you never found the good roads in this area or at least you failed to mention any of them. Of course you had to throw in "the roads are fast but not as technical as ours". Can't help but put folks or places down huh? Even if you really don't have a clue.

So I will walk away from this non-sense.
Have fun with your sensible mods and playing in the snow. I'm going to get my un-sensibly modified bike ready for a ride tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Squid

Well with all the experience you have, one would think you would know the answers to the questions you have asked.

Then you talk about roads, well I guess you never found the good roads in this area or at least you failed to mention any of them. Of course you had to throw in "the roads are fast but not as technical as ours". Can't help but put folks or places down huh? Even if you really don't have a clue.

So I will walk away from this non-sense.
Have fun with your sensible mods and playing in the snow. I'm going to get my un-sensibly modified bike ready for a ride tomorrow.

the question was not a one answer question, was a discussion. has nothing to do with my experience.. a conversation, talking shop with fellow riders, stories and opinions about there bikes and ideas..

"the roads are fast but not as technical as ours", in no way put anyone or place down in context or intent.. look at all the different tracks there are, some are faster and some are more technical that in no way condemns or put down any of said tracks. i am just comparing the roads i have ridden and i would say we have more technical roads on a grand scale to geography than what i rode in CA, i enjoyed the roads there as i did in GA,CO, PA, WA, OR, SC, TX, VT, ME, NY, VA, WV, MD, KY and so on.. lighten up dude.

why would you say your "un-sensibly" (even though i would say you meant "non-sensibly modified") modded bike? no one here said anything about your bike or your integrity... as fare as "sensible mods". well that is a persons opinion. and you think your modifications are sensible, which is your opinion.. we are allowed to have those, i think.

"Even if you really don't have a clue." why are you attacking me personally, i have not done that to you? you do not know for certain that i have no clue.

have you ridden here? i have ridden there, maybe not your exact road, it would be impossible for some one to ride all roads.

i do have a clue about these facts:
NC has more paved road miles than any other state.. boasting road like the "Dragon" and the "Snake" and those are the commercialized roads not to mention the ones that are not, north georgia, eastern TN, SW VA, SE KY, W NC. see more motorcycle traffic than any other place in the country and ranks in the top 5 of places in the world to travel to, to ride motorcycles.
does this mean that your/CA roads are bad, NO, this just helps my credibility for knowing a bit about riding good roads and in no way diminishes yours

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-15-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

I am slightly confused by the question, methinks. Are you interested in discussing why everyone mods or why you personally would want to put cash into a Superhawk when an RC-51 fits your bill better? 'Cause that may be causing some confusion...

I still hold that you don't need any more reason than this (at least for me):
what am i missing other than gear head like to modify..(i am one too)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I am slightly confused by the question, methinks. Are you interested in discussing why everyone mods or why you personally would want to put cash into a Superhawk when an RC-51 fits your bill better? 'Cause that may be causing some confusion...

I still hold that you don't need any more reason than this (at least for me):

just why you modded your bike and the reasoning behind doing it instead of buying a bike that already has most of the mods u would do to the superhawk. the RC-51 was the closest example i came up with.. some of the "cash to RC-51 stuff" has more to do with my orientation and rational. to modding the SH.

and the reason could be "be cause i like it", "well i am a gear head and can't leave anything alone", (i fall into that category) or "i wanted to make a road race bike and this is what i had." and so on

example: this is silly but my experience, we all are at a sport-bike rally standing around a fire, drinking some therapy and i turn to you and say. "hey dude what ya riding" you say a "SH" and i say cool same as me... what have u done to her.... you rattle off a dozen mods, from 900 swingarms to rc front ends, to race engines.. i say COOL , why? this is were you answer.

sorry for the confusion guys.. i like to talk shop, to hear what other riders are doing and thinking

the title of this thread was just to get interest and be funny

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So r80gsman, just because you mod a bike doesnt mean you dont love it. For that none of us would want our chicks to wear makeup or dress sexy. Doesnt mean we want to run out & get another girl.
Sometimes you get attached. My modded hawk is way cooler (imho) than an rc. Besides a hawk can still take you cross country better.

I have race production twins class for 11 yrs. There is way more honor in developing skill than just upgrading the bike. Even with the shortcommings you get to know it really well and extract the most from it.

You didnt go on the rc forum & ask anyone why try to make it more comfortable or streetable did you?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

Ahhhh, well the therapy would induce a much more elaborate (albeit less understandable) answer, but my answer would be "to make my brain work". Following through that same train of thought, I have learned a great deal about the Superhawk and bikes in general by modding it. This in itself is a huge entertainment value for me and if you have a bike already set up close to the way you like it, say your RC-51, then you don't get this aspect. It's kinda fun looking down at a piece of work and saying "hey, I did that". Rather than "hey, the guys over in Japan did this and I bought it"

As a bonus, your bike performs better. I'm not even really interested in the part of the discussion on the pros/cons of modded VTR vs. some other bike. That could go on forever and is subjective enough that it probably will.

Saturday night, therapy session started...
Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM
SuperSport

There's no point in becoming so easily irritated over nothing. The OP asked for opinions on modding the superhawk, I gave my opinion...

8541Hawk, I think your reasoning is slightly flawed... Why would I put down a bike I currently own, ride, and quite enjoy. The Hawks street manners are better than a full on supersport. I can rack up the miles on it, and not feel pretzeled up when I get off. I can hit corners at a good clip and the bike is well planted...

This bike wasn't meant to be an RC, if I wanted to bust my back and sit on a piece of plywood for a seat, I would keep riding a supersport.

If I wanted an RC, I would have bought an RC...

See it's a matter of opinion, a SH is not an excellent bike in stock form. This is what most of the modders are addressing. Not just making mediocre track bikes.....
Am I supposed to be offended that you think the SH isn't an excellent bike??? Jeez man, you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am. Why would I dump a couple grand into the hawk to make is similar to an RC-51? Addressing it's shortcomings is fine, but there's a certain point.

See another put down..... anyone that makes mods you don't approve of is just not sensible....... Guess you do know better than any of the folks here.
There ya go putting words in my mouth... when did I say I know better than anyone else. As far as I'm concerned you can do whatever you want with your SH... I gave my opinion, if you don't like it, don't read it?

Funny thing is, as far as mods go, your bike is tastefully done. You've addressed it's shortcomings and tailored it to you.

I think if anyone here is attacking others based on opinion, it's you.

Chill Bud.

-Matt
Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Being that I own both models of the V-twin bikes, and ride those bikes as much as i can afford maintences, tires,etc. I will tell you straight that if you can mod your S-hawk to handle as well as a sportbike. Do The Mods ! The S-hawk is so much more comfortable to ride in any distances.. Then when you go to insure the RC-51 -go ahead and figure double the premium cost.. And i think as soon as you register a RC-51 in W.N.Carolina- You recieve an All Points on your ***. I have been blue lighted for "anything" and never speeding..- no ticket for anything, or nothing yet.
Be sensible ! ! and Honestly were is it truly possible to do 165 + mph, and use that extra 36hp. except on a race track.
I bought my RC-51s for collector principles. at near perfect condition..
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM
SuperSport

Not to mention, The RCs are unique. Except when you set your S-hawk , RC next to each other. The S-hawk is just more elegant, pleasing to look at...
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Squid

You didnt go on the rc forum & ask anyone why try to make it more comfortable or streetable did you?

i didn't but i would. same for a guy that made a rat chopper out of a ducati, i ask him too

My modded hawk is way cooler (imho) than an rc. Besides a hawk can still take you cross country better.

right you are and one reason i bought mine.

just because you mod a bike doesnt mean you dont love it.

didn't say that, but i would agree.

Doesnt mean we want to run out & get another girl.

maybe do tell my Bonnie-Lass

7moore7
I'm not even really interested in the part of the discussion on the pros/cons of modded VTR vs. some other bike.

i am not interested in the pros/cons either... just why.. and you have given that. "It's kinda fun looking down at a piece of work and saying "hey, I did that". Rather than "hey, the guys over in Japan did this and I bought it" the craftsman spirit..

Saturday night, therapy session started...

i drank all my beer and have started a few off the top shelf,, single barrel, Kentucky bourbon whiskey strait. Evin Williams.

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-15-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Squid

I will tell you straight that if you can mod your S-hawk to handle as well as a sportbike. Do The Mods !

i think the SH is a sportbike not a racebike (that are being put on the market now a days)

Be sensible ! ! and Honestly were is it truly possible to do 165 + mph, and use that extra 36hp. except on a race track.

this is one of my personal questions about the need to overly modify the SH. i ask myself, can i achieve sporty speeds and handling with the way i have it set up,, just suspension(front springs) and exhaust. with in the "sensible/legal"(kinda) parameters , it can.

you can modify the SH to handle like a race bike..but the comfort has to be sacrificed or they would make them from the factor that way. in my opinion.

The S-hawk is just more elegant, pleasing to look at...

this is true.

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-15-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM
SuperSport

you can modify the SH to handle like a race bike..but the comfort has to be sacrificed or they would make them from the factory that way. in my opinion.
+1
This is my opinion exactly.

My VTR is alot more comfortable as my daily rider than my CBR is. Last fall, on a 2000km ride to New Hampshire, there were times I wished I hadn't taken the CBR... The same ride on the VTR would have been just as much fun, and not nearly as back breaking...
Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 PM
SuperSport

Riding position can not be changed on either bike, Yeah you can change rear sets, clip-ons, after-market seats, etc. but the stretch across the tank, and the support on you wrists, cramped up knees on the pegs, and your low center of gravity position on the RC-51, UNLESS- jumping from side to side in curves, Ten miles ! ! and you began the changes to your position, to get the feelings back in your ***...
Besides less than $4500 of Mods to S-Hawk, you can get a descent "SPORT-TOUR" with less money invested than buying a new sportbike, or sound to be " A Coveanted RC-51" Ha Ha... Opps just kidding....
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Squid

+1
This is my opinion exactly.

My VTR is alot more comfortable as my daily rider than my CBR is. Last fall, on a 2000km ride to New Hampshire, there were times I wished I hadn't taken the CBR... The same ride on the VTR would have been just as much fun, and not nearly as back breaking...
that is the beauty of the SH... i have been cursed with long arms so even on a cbr i can still sit mostly up rite. were i get into trouble is long tank bikes.. the r1150rs we have, is a great bike but the siting position kills me, i can get used to it and ride for some time but kills me. i feel like i am stretch over.

i could get shot for this:
i guess another question is who here that uses there bike for touring(7k+ annually) modify and why?....

Quick Reply: dump arrs question.(s)