General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Does your wife/GF ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
Does your wife/GF ride?

My wife has expressed interest in learing how to ride. Would allow more time for me to ride, but with two kids at home doubt we would get much time to ride together. What are your thoughts on the subject? Trying to decide if she got her license what the right kind of bike would be. Her friend rides a Harley and franky we can't afford one of those and not my style. Another Hawk?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I don't have an other, but I know a few that do have wives that ride. Ninja 250's and suzuki gv250's or whatever that little 250 cruiser is.

The ninjets are a fun 2nd bike for you when she's not riding the cruiser is a great bike though too if she goes that route. The ninjettes are a lot nicer then they get credit for "its a girls bike" because of this they can be had for cheap used and are an awful lot of fun. They are such a popular track bike wera has a seperate class for racing them. I almost got one for a race bike till I stumbled on my 600
Old 02-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by insulinboy
I don't have an other, but I know a few that do have wives that ride. Ninja 250's and suzuki gv250's or whatever that little 250 cruiser is.

The ninjets are a fun 2nd bike for you when she's not riding the cruiser is a great bike though too if she goes that route. The ninjettes are a lot nicer then they get credit for "its a girls bike" because of this they can be had for cheap used and are an awful lot of fun. They are such a popular track bike wera has a seperate class for racing them. I almost got one for a race bike till I stumbled on my 600
My buddies daughter has a Ninja 250 that she did some track days with last year and now purchased race plastics for. She actually works for Jason Ferrel if anyone has heard of him and he took it for a spin at Black Hawk Farms. Watching a semi-pro racer on a 250 is really something to watch!! Almost high sided it in turn one, but with his talent saved it and carried on like it was nothing! I heard CCS is starting a class for the 250's?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
after watching some videos on youtube ive been mulling over investing in a ninja 250 as a race bike. the speeds arnt to crazy, people arnt trying to kill u to get a trophy, and it seems like a good ol time. people looking to have fun more than try to get noticed as a racer. 110 on the straights isnt slow either so it seems like fun. lite too so easy to work on getting form, technique, and lines.

i think your maybe talking about the honda rebel, the 250 cruiser. i use to have one. great bike. but id go the ninja route. the rebel i think makes like 14 ponnies. at least shed have some fun in the canyons on a ninja
Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by jscobey

i think your maybe talking about the honda rebel, the 250 cruiser. i use to have one. great bike. but id go the ninja route. the rebel i think makes like 14 ponnies. at least shed have some fun in the canyons on a ninja
Nope, my 2nd street bike was a honda rebel though, 82 model CM250C, little different style wise but same engine. Great little bike IMHO (first bike was a 75 RD125 two stroke street bike)

I was talking about the Suzuki GZ250, little more pull than the rebel, and a great machine

And the new GW250 looks **** as well

Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Back Marker

Thats kinda what Jason said after riding the Ninja 250 on the track. He said it was almost more fun than the 600 or 1000 class which he currently rides in because you can wind the thing out and throw it around with ease in the corners.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Taught my girl a few years back. It was an excuse to buy another bike (or three ). It started with a couple rides on my neighbors TW200 in exchange for fixing a few things on it. Then we started with a Rebel 250 (super fun bike to ride), then a 750 Vulcan, then a Shadow 1100, then onto her dad's Heritage Softail and one of my Superhawks. Flipped each one them by the way for a few extra bucks too. Unfortunately neither of us gets to ride much lately but we're planning to go soon.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
My wife went through these in this order, Yamaha Vino 125 scoot, Buell Blast (total pos) and ended up on an SV650. It can be very rewarding for her to get licensed. But when all is said and done, I ended up worrying more than I ever have. The SV ended up sitting in the garage collecting dust. It was ridden twice one season so she decided to sell. Maybe someday again, but for now it just isn't practical (not enough trunk space and helmet hair were the killers).
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
You were lucky. At least you got her out ON the bike.

My wife is a beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed chick with a rack that won't quit, and she seriously has the hand eye coordination to be able to ride a bike, but instead just wants to "look pretty" on the back of one. And even that comes with standards (hers of course). She doesn't like to be on the back of the Superhawk, something about the perception of her ***. So, I am seriously making an entirely new bike for the two of us to ride on. I have everything collected for that project so far, except the front wheel.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
My wife has expressed interest in learing how to ride. Would allow more time for me to ride, but with two kids at home doubt we would get much time to ride together. What are your thoughts on the subject? Trying to decide if she got her license what the right kind of bike would be. Her friend rides a Harley and franky we can't afford one of those and not my style. Another Hawk?
Yes she does and has for years.. Off road first.. then wanted a street bike, several later she has a Ninja 650R.

Love riding with her....and it has not changed my personal individual ride time.

First bike.,
Used
well maintained (nothing worse for a new rider being distracted by a troublesome carb, brakes, starter)
Fits her, even if it is a bike type you are not interested in (TW200, S50, EX500)
light(er) weight
low(er) center of gravity.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
I'm lucky enough to have a wife that rides ,when I met her she had a RD 350LC.We share the bikes around here ,but the Firestorm is "mine" due to its lack of comfort.My 14 year old daughter also rides(her 9th year infact)now on a crf 230, and has even been down my local roads on our GS 750!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife started riding in May '05. First bike was an '05 EX500, then an '07 SV650S, and currently a 2012 GSX-R750. She has over 22,000 miles on her Gixxer and over 78,000 miles overall.

We ride a lot. She loves the canyons.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
My lady just swung her leg over a crf100 this past January and had the clutch shifting and steering down in about an hour. We are thinking about getting some dirt bikes here in the near future and might upgrade her to street but with a 26" inseam lowering link or high heals will be in order or a custom build.

Last edited by Squid; 02-23-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
You were lucky. At least you got her out ON the bike.

My wife is a beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed chick with a rack that won't quit, and she seriously has the hand eye coordination to be able to ride a bike, but instead just wants to "look pretty" on the back of one. And even that comes with standards (hers of course). She doesn't like to be on the back of the Superhawk, something about the perception of her ***. So, I am seriously making an entirely new bike for the two of us to ride on. I have everything collected for that project so far, except the front wheel.
I've seen pics of your bike, so what are you building for her? Pics?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I also have 2 under aged kids, so, we try and split riding time. She rides a Triumph Street Triple.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
I've seen pics of your bike, so what are you building for her? Pics?
No pictures. Just parts laying next to each other. It's going to be my vision of a low, sleek, fully suspended chopper. Black frame/engine and dark blue (almost annodized looking) wheels and accents

VTR1000F 996 V-Twin engine
late model Triumph Daytona rear (swing arm, shock, wheel)
Custom frame for two up

I have everything needed, except the front end. I seriously can't decided on what to use. I have a line on yet another '06 CBR1000RR front end (complete) locally. I might go that route or with a girder. I love the looks of the girder, but the CBR1000 front end would be 10 times faster and easier. I have to decide prett dang quickly. Riding season is aproaching fast.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 02-23-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Splelling
Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Fiancee has a bike license, but shes too timid to ride. I insured the tw200 for her last year. She rode it down the street once. Needless to say I was not impressed... women seem to have more survival instincts than us. Not saying I ride like a maniac or anything, quite the opposite, but she is too concerned with the consequences of riding on the road. She'll ride on the back with me, but doesn't seem to trust herself, and especially doesn't trust other drivers.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hopey
when I met her she had a RD 350LC.
I love your wife.. er wait, that doesn't sound right does it?

I love your wifes choice of motorcycles you're a lucky man, I always loved the Elsies. Wish they were imported to the states so I could pick one up cheap, we only got the air cooled ones and the later power valve models though. I just like the styling of those better. Especialy the silver with the blue stripe. I did wind up picking up an XS750 triple that was that same style and color though. Wish I never got rid of that bike
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
My ex wife rode.
She rode a ZZR600 and her boss it turns out.......
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 2wheelsagain
My ex wife rode.
She rode a ZZR600 and her boss it turns out.......
Haha, sorry to laugh at some heart ache in your life, but that was pretty darn funny.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Squid

thechickenlives98 is on a distinguished road
I ride a 98 superhawk and my girl rides a 08 harley 883. We only got to ride a few times because someone stole my bike! I got it back, but they dropped it and wrecked it! Now I'm looking for parts to rebuild it.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Yep, she rides a 2008 CBR600RR. Of course, it's not the same "riding" as when I'm on it!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Both of my ex's rode. This 1st wife rode OK,she was riding a CB400t twin when we met and moved up to my SC700 backup bike.

My second was actually a pretty good rider just a terrible human being, but she could ride her 1990 CBR600!

Of note is the new generation of 300/350's out there, I think they'll replace most of the 250's which are still too underpowered for freeway type use!

Last edited by HRCA#1; 03-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.