General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

does this sound like its running rich?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
Ok. So here's what I discovered. Now its been cool on every ride I've been on so the bike hasn't gotten past 80 degrees. 104 its as hot as it'll get. So usually its around 96 or 97...
Are you saying that your engine temp does not get past 104 C (celsius)? That would be 219 F which is about right. Just checking.

I am thinking about this, it must be those drilled out pilots. A 48 pilot jet has an opening of .48mm, correspondingly. a 45 pilot jet has an opening of .45mm. Unless your buddy has a machine shop with micro precision equipment, I would bet that those drilled jets are WAY too large - hense a rich condition down low. This may not show up on a plug reading, which IMHO are useless anyway.

It is also possible that you have some clogged passageways elsewhere in those carbs. Clean them up real good and go back to stock settings so you can properly diagnose the problem. There are too many variables now. JB

Last edited by residentg; 05-01-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
Are you saying that your engine temp does not get past 104 C (celsius)? That would be 219 F which is about right. Just checking.

I am thinking about this, it must be those drilled out pilots. A 48 pilot jet has an opening of .48mm, correspondingly. a 45 pilot jet has an opening of .45mm. Unless your buddy has a machine shop with micro precision equipment, I would bet that those drilled jets are WAY too large - hense a rich condition down low. This may not show up on a plug reading, which IMHO are useless anyway.

It is also possible that you have some clogged passageways elsewhere in those carbs. Clean them up real good and go back to stock settings so you can properly diagnose the problem. There are too many variables now. JB
yeha i know, just too many damn things that could be off. he has a set of 48's for me at his place i just need tog et over there so we can put them in but this weekend isnt looking good for him so hopefully the weekend after i can swing by and we'll get them in. the bike ran perfect last year before the modding and carb work so hopefully the carbs didnt get gummed up from sitting over the winter.

thanks for the pics, ill print those out and the instructions and when the carbs come off ill make sure the tubes are on the correct carbs. hopefully the next time we get in there we can resolve the issues

thanks for the info and help guys. ill keep you posted as we make progress
Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg

oh, and yeah 104 is where they sit, ive seen it get to about 105 or 106 when its really hot out and im stuck in traffic, but were talking days that are filthy hot, she usually sits below 104 and while moving its in the 90's
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
Wow that's confusing. Haha. I know that temp and atmospheric pressure have a profound effect on vacuum snd carb operation, but if I tried to explain how, I'd be taking a shot in the dark.

Last edited by steve29; 05-01-2010 at 08:32 AM.