General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What exactly does the impending CCT failure sound like.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
What exactly does the impending CCT failure sound like.

What does it actually sound like. I've heard its a knocking sound. But, is it pretty obvious sounding? Or do you actually have to pay attention. I've seen threads on this and it's making me paranoid!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Most people don't hear anything.. no warning at all, just sudden death.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
What does it actually sound like. I've heard its a knocking sound. But, is it pretty obvious sounding? Or do you actually have to pay attention. I've seen threads on this and it's making me paranoid!!!!
It's that sound at 16k miles that you wake up to at night.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I thought it was supposed to sound like a aerosol paint can rattle. So then I heard a rattle just like it a week ago and got really scared. Afterwards I questioned whether I heard it but I wasn't about to risk it, my bike has 44k miles and I don't know if they have ever been replaced so I got myself the ape cct and now no more worries. I could have sworn I heard it rattle, but since nothing blew up I can't confirm for sure. Although it turned out being a blessing ripping into my valve cover considering the reason my bike had a stumble was that the shop was a tooth off on my cams...damn them I was wondering "what the hell?" all summer.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
The dreaded paint can rattle sound. It is usually only heard on deceleration.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
I heard a noise yesterday in 2nd when I released the clutch to decel without breaking. It was kinda loud. I don't know if it sounded like a rattle can or not though. It only happened in 2nd gear decel, not any others. So what do you guys think? Bike only has about 2800 miles on it. Is the cct failure time dependent, miles dependent, or a freak of nature and happens whenever the heck it wants?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
I heard a noise yesterday in 2nd when I released the clutch to decel without breaking. It was kinda loud. I don't know if it sounded like a rattle can or not though. It only happened in 2nd gear decel, not any others. So what do you guys think? Bike only has about 2800 miles on it. Is the cct failure time dependent, miles dependent, or a freak of nature and happens whenever the heck it wants?
picked up my SH with 2400 miles on her, I now have about 4500 and my CCT is fine for now.

I love to hear these guys with 40,000+ miles on their SH. It reminds me of how much life my Hawk has in it

Last edited by cal2az; 10-03-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
Mine just sounded like chain slapping, which got louder and more persistant with higher rpms. It did not only happen on deceleration in my case. It was in neutral with changing rpms and acceleratinig in gear. After I changed the CCTs to the APE manual CCTs the noise was still there until I tightened them another turn. I've had my bike for 10K miles and I could here the difference in the engine as the tensioners were giving up. You can also see that the bike starts to drop idle when the cam chain starts getting loose. I was wondering why I had to keep turning up the idle screw and know I know why. The more you tension the cam chain the higher the idle will go (at least back to where it should be).

FYI my bike has 27K on it.