General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

cylinder head bolt torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Squid

tommyguns is on a distinguished road
cylinder head bolt torque

Hello All,

I can't download the service manual for some reason. What's the torque for the cylinder head bolts? I torqued them to 39 FT-LB (found the spec on another VTR site). Bolts were clean and well oiled on the threads and under the bolt contact area. They don't seem anywhere near as tight as when I removed them, so I'm just double checking. Replacing the rear cylinder has been a lot of fun but I don't really want to do it again.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Just a FYI... I would never ever torque anything to specs found on any forum... I'd check the service manual and read the actual value there... I suggest you do the same...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Yep, especially since the service manual is available as a download in the KB section here.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Squid

tommyguns is on a distinguished road
Agreed, but I can't download the manual, that's why I asked the question.

Does anyone know what this head bolt torque needs to be? I'm just trying to get my bike back together.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

And the reason for that is? Would another download link help?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
this seems too easy..

So maybe this will make both of you happy.....

o The service manual is now being referenced (which BTW is an inside joke at most shops who know and understand, there are always inconsistencies or out right mistakes in service manuals, so it's just a guide.. Not a bible)

o And the other gets the simple answer to a question asked...
Attached Thumbnails cylinder head bolt torque-engine-tq-values.jpg   cylinder head bolt torque-notes-tq-values.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
MotoGP

Trust me... I know all about the potential problems with a service manual... But the odds of the spec in the manual being wrong vs the odds of a number of a forum with nothing to back it up... Well, I'll put my money on the manual... And while I doubt it was deliberate, but using "shops" as a reference there might be another joke... So far I have found 2 and I mean 2 mechanics that I would trust with my bike... And I still prefer doing things myself... Leaving at a shop for a random wrenchmonkey to work on is not a good idea...

And while you might have a different opinion, I deliberately try to avoid "give a simple answear" in most cases... I happen to think that if you go unbolt stuff on your engine without thinking things through to the point where you put them back together without reading a manual or having prior experience, well... Then you probably shouldn't be doing that, or at least not that way...

One good way of learning the smart way of doing things is to have high blood pressure, head pounding, sweating until you figure things out... It seems to work better than telling people before hand, since that in my experience isn't working... Feel free to have another opinion, it won't change mine much... I wan't people to have to work a little for their answers... If they don't want that, well, they can always ask someone else...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-26-2010 at 11:42 AM.