General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Super Hawk as my only bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Squid

5891jonathan is on a distinguished road
Super Hawk as my only bike?

I tried to search for threads that answer my question, but I didn't find any. My question is whether the Super Hawk is a sensible bike for all-around riding - little bit of freeway, little bit of open road, some twisties, lots of commuting, some long-range riding (2000 mile trips). I like twin power delivery and I am trying to choose between a used Super Hawk and a used Ducati Monster or an ST2/ST4. Cost and ease of maintenance are factors. Whaddya think?

Oh, right now I am riding a really great 1984 VF750F Interceptor. I am used to riding and maintaining Hondas (last three out of five bikes were Hondas), but any of these bikes is a quantum leap forward technologically ffrom what I have been riding.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:18 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
The superhawk is a great bike and a very good all-rounder: you will be amazed at the improved all-around performance from even a great bike like the 84 interceptor. Reliability and maintenance would be miles easier/better than the ducs and a good deal cheaper.

Sport riding and commuting - great. The sport touring category is very subjective. Everyone is different in what they can tolerate/enjoy on long trips. I'm a wimp and over 40, so keep that perspective in mind. I don't find touring on a sports bike that enjoyable - and I don't find the SH to be an exception - sure you can do it but if you are putting in 500+ miles days you'll be more tired than a true sports-tourer like the ST3 in particular. I have friends that can tour on RR bikes, if you are one of them than the Superhawk would be very comfortable. Also, consider how much time you'll be carrying a passenger - while the subframe isn't canted as high as race-replicas, its still a pretty tenous place to expect a passenger sit for very extended trips. Again, the ST3/4 have a pretty good passenger provision. Even the updated interceptors aren't bad. Also, how much luggage are you going to take? the low pipes make soft-luggage saddlebags possible and the metal tanks is nice for a large magnetic bag.

thats my opinion - you'll get plenty more I'm sure. Depends on where you put your emphasis. Good luck

bill
Old 01-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
The Super Hawk was built for "all-around riding - little bit of freeway, little bit of open road, some twisties, lots of commuting, some long-range riding (2000 mile trips)." As far as cost and ease of maintenance..... it's a Honda! I think you will be very happy on a Super Hawk.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
For what you're looking for my opinion is a superhawk is definitely going to give you the most bang for your buck. I've not ridden any of those Ducati's but I've read that while it doesn't have the top end power of the ST4, the ST2 have more torque down low. I have ridden a 916 though and while dead even in a top end roll on with a superhawk, it also feels fairly weak down low compared to the superhawk. On the other hand the Ducati suspension and brakes did make the superhawk feel like an old bike, but I only noticed this after going straight from one to the other. I would imagine the Monster is big fun everywhere but on the open highway for any period. I'm sure they're all good choices though, just more maintenance and higher prices both for purchase and maintenance. Keep in mind superhawk parts must be much easier and cheaper to come by (if you end up needing them at all). Other good choices would have to include the VFR750/800's and definitely bikes like the Bandit 1200 and FZ1. But for the price superhawks are selling for I simply don't feel you can get much like it for the money. Happy hunting and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk has a pitiful range, so long-distance commuting/traveling requires careful planning of gas-stops. That's from my experience; others say their SHawks are capable of 130+ miles on a tank, but I never got past 100.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I commute every day the weather permits in DC, and it's great. It's a 40 mile round trip for me, which means I fill up every 2 1/2 days (then a couple of times each weekend!) The 100 mile tank is only a problem if you're out on 'unscheduled wanderings' but any ride with a modicum of planning isn't a problem. I had the VFR tank mod done for a while, and will again as soon as I can get the VFR tank fixed. It's definetly very capable as an 'all around' bike.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Vfr
Old 01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I have done everything from going down the road to get beer to a 9 day camping trip to the Honda Hoot with this bike. I've done trackdays. I did 985 miles in 13 hours (with a Sargent seat). I've ridden backroads and canyons. I've gone to work. With a few select upgrades this bike is a great jack-of-all-trades. Though it is a master at none. I've never really been bothered by the lack of fuel range, as I prefer to take breaks more often anyway. Good tires, good suspension, a real seat, and maybe some slip-ons and a little tuning are all you need.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I agree with Hawkrider! I think the VTR is the best bike every built. With a few mods you can have a bike that will do better at what it does than any bike manufactured. Now this doesn't mean that I'm going to sell my VFR or that I won't own additional bikes other than these two. The VTR is almost always the first bike I pull out of the garage.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I did 985 miles in 13 hours (with a Sargent seat).
Assume stopping every 100 miles to fill up= 985/100= 9.8 stop= 10 stops

10 mins per stop (optimistic) at 10 stops= 100 minutes= 1 and 1/2+ hours

add another 30 minutes for eating the entire day (very optimistic)= 2 hours of stops

13 hours-2 hours stops =11 hrs

985miles/11 hrs=89.5mph avg

90mph avg. steady throttle on a VTR won't net 100/tank but if you did for 11 hours straight, well you rock dude!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nuhawk
The VTR is almost always the first bike I pull out of the garage.
Except when it has no forks attached to it.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by superbling
Assume stopping every 100 miles to fill up= 985/100= 9.8 stop= 10 stops

10 mins per stop (optimistic) at 10 stops= 100 minutes= 1 and 1/2+ hours

add another 30 minutes for eating the entire day (very optimistic)= 2 hours of stops

13 hours-2 hours stops =11 hrs

985miles/11 hrs=89.5mph avg

90mph avg. steady throttle on a VTR won't net 100/tank but if you did for 11 hours straight, well you rock dude!
Yeah, I was actually doing about 95 avg. I stopped for a haircut along the way too. It was all highway. Straight through from St. Louis, MO to Charleston, SC. I should've done the extra 15 miles by riding around the block or something but I was straight pooped! I actually averaged about 130 miles per tank, IIRC.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Except when it has no forks attached to it.
Well it's got even less on it now. The stock exhaust came off today along with the chain guard.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Squid

Yeah, a VFR is really the most sensible bike for me. I love my old V-4, but I have a hankering for a big V-twin. The Suzuki seems a bit porky and the styling turns me off. Therefore, it's the VTR or a Ducati, I guess. If I could afford a Multistrada I would probably buy one, but my wife would go beserk! You guys have given me some things to think about, especially the 100-mile tanks. Any other big problems or annoyances? I am sure I would be thrilled with the VTR's suspension and brakes coming from the 1984 Interceptor. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
We whine about the range 5891jonathan, but its really not a problem. Just about everyone i know likes to take regular breaks every 60 to 90 minutes, at least the stretch, if nothing else.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
jonathan, I also rode a 916 and don't think its got anything on the Hawk. Its the bike I ride most and I have six. I was thinking on a Aprila Futura which my brother had for a short while and I liked. Might be the better long distance bike with hard bags included. You can't beat a Honda!

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Lefin102
jonathan, I also rode a 916 and don't think its got anything on the Hawk. Its the bike I ride most and I have six. I was thinking on a Aprila Futura which my brother had for a short while and I liked. Might be the better long distance bike with hard bags included. You can't beat a Honda!

Good luck.
The Aprilia Futura is on my list, too, but it's more difficult to find a used one. I don't know that the Futura has a very long range, either and the styling is polarizing - although I like the way it looks. But I am probably no judge because I really like Terblanche's Ducatis and prefer the looks of the 999 over the new 1098!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
when I was looking for something all arounder the FZ1 caught my eye - particularly the early ones without the fuel injection complaints. I finally just decided to use my superhawk for everything but long trips and keep my old
81 CBX for long trips and two-up riding. Its at least cool (or I think so). The v-strom is a very good bike (not very pretty) - a cheaper multistrada - and also a nice V-twin engine though not as smooth as the SH
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Squid

One bike only . . . .

Yes, the Suzuki V-Strom is really an option, but it looks big, ungainly and . . . well, really ugly to me. I could never own one. The Siper Hawk is pretty and the sportier position doesn't bother me, but I am having second thoughts about the range. It just won't do for me up here in Alaska. I need a 150+ mile tank. So, I guess it's a different V-Twin for me. Unless the bigger tank conversion is an option. Why can't Honda make a V-Twin Sport Tourer?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

The bigger tank conversion can be done. I believe there are a few owners of Superhawks with big tanks now.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

Marm is right and it's not just the VFR tank mod - there are aftermarket tanks available too but they are spendy. In your situation where range is a requirement and you want the best in a twin - the tank mod is the only way to go.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
I would check with a Honda dealer in the UK. There were a couple of years where the European Firestorm came with a larger tank (19l I think). Or tab into the UK Superhawk forum...maybe you can pick up a used one? The tanks are interchangeable.

They were available thru DynamoHumm in Cowansville PQ, but I'm not sure if Brian can still get them.

Or keep an eye on flea bay....

Good Luck

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR
Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Squid

Thanks, everyone! I am researching the Firestorm tank. Maybe I can find one from a parted out bike, I'll be checking back with you guys from time to time.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 5891jonathan
Thanks, everyone! I am researching the Firestorm tank. Maybe I can find one from a parted out bike, I'll be checking back with you guys from time to time.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...0&postcount=23
Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Squid

speedfreek is on a distinguished road
'Hawk

IMO the Superhawk is really best as a commuter.
The fuel range really limits it as a long range tourer.
It's very snappy in traffic, but too buzzy for long
high-speed rides too.

I ride my 'Hawk to work and on errands -- it's truly
a workhorse. But when I'm itchin' for the open road,
I hop on my Blackbird.

Go with a two-bike attack, you'll find it a better solution
I believe.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbling
Vfr
Ditto!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Squid

GrayHawk is on a distinguished road
Just to note, Honda does make a V-Twin Sport Tourer. The Veradero is not available in the U.S., however. If you visit the Honda Europe web site, it'll probably just **** you off. From my perspective, it seems Honda favors introductions across the pond, and sends much of the more conservative styles to the U.S. Wish they'd be more open minded. Just my two cents. See the Veradero under the "On/Off" link on the site below. Also notice their cool 650 V-Twin - The Transalp.

Honda Europe Link: http://www.mc.honda-eu.com/uk/en/mc/index.jsp
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The VTR is my jack-of-all-trades bikes and, with a few mods (Sargent seat, Heli-bars, taller windshield), is quite capable at doing it all. The tank range could ideally be better but as we live in a world where gas stations are typically quite close to each other (I know, there are exceptions) this usually doesn't pose too much of a problem. I have a biased opinion but I say go for it.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Squid

Autarkic is on a distinguished road
As far as the Monster is concerned, it's at a little bit higher a price point with maintenance/repairs, but is just a bit more fun and maneuverable so long as you stay inner-city. If you're taller than 5'9" you'll probably find it even less comfortable than a Hawk on the long treks. Since you're looking specifically for an all-around bike, the SHawk is the obvious choice with its one real caveat of less-than-stellar gas mileage which might be a concern in your case.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Squid

Daywalker
In a word yes! As has been stated the range is funky I'm lucky to get 120ish per tank.

Quick Reply: Super Hawk as my only bike?