General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just have to say... love my Hawk...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Squid

jshram is on a distinguished road
Just have to say... love my Hawk...

The Hawk is the relatively new addition to a four bike stable. I bought it just to have my own personal transportation while on assignment in Vegas (so I don't have to drive the company rig on my own time, which has restrictions and rules).

Turns out I just love the Hawk and find myself missing it when I go home or when I don't have an opportunity to ride it. Being a bit older (48) I don't need 170hp and my chest on the tank, but having ridden the street since I was 18, I do like a performing bike. The Hawk has all the performance I'll ever need (way more in fact) yet has the lovely, mature growl and even keeled powerband.

Without offending you real performing riders who can wring the best out of the Hawk (where I really don't want to go that far and probably can't anyway), the Hawk just seems like the perfect older-man's superbike. Can't imagine why it didn't do better in the market. Guess others are just missing out.

Happiness in Vegas is getting back on the little red mule.

John

Honda ST1300
Yamaha Road Star Warrior 1700
Honda VFR800 (my boy rides this one)
Honda VTR1000
Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
What? 48 isn't old! But I do agree that the 996 is a mature decision when it comes to an everyday performance bike. I don't want to say sportbike because from my experience it doesn't make a direct hit into that category.

But it is a performance bike, without a doubt. I too think highly of my VTR, the fourth bike in my stable but the one used the most.

Miguel
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Squid

jshram is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Miguel. You're right. 48 is NOT old. )

Drove the ST from Vegas to San Francisco and back a couple weeks ago. Came up through Death Valley and over Sonora Pass. Beautiful trip. The pass was amazing, snow covered and 30 degrees but the road was dry. Loved the trip and would do it again in a second. You got some great roads over there once you pounce out of San Francisco itself. I gotta do more exploring around the Sierra Nevadas next year.

Ride straight!

John
Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Nah....50 is!

if you want to relax a bit more on it, try superbike bars and lower footpegs. I find it FAR better for everyday riding with my old worn-out body.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Ok you youngters, watch out what you're calling old,LOL. I'm 57 yrs young & still have the need to throw my leg over the saddle. It is amazing how the Hawk grabs hold of you & won't let go. Started riding dirt bikes @ 14 & have made several transitions thru the years, the last four bikes being I-4's, but the feel of the Hawk is sooo different. Bought my 01 Hawk new in 02. Everytime I visit the local bike shops & look @ the new bikes I just don't see anything that gets my blood going. Did the Superbike bar mod a little over a year ago & must agree it made a world of difference. Happy two wheeling to all & keep the rubber side down.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Funny, alot of us S-Hawk riders in our young adult age. I'm 52 and find that every time I take my 05' out for a little spin, I get a grin factor of 10 out of 10.
There is something about how that front end has a tendency to get light, amongst all it's other great assets.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
I'm another Mature (56) VTR rider who can't get enough giggle time balancing acceleration and wheel lift.
Probably would have hurt myself if I had this machine when I was teenager or 20 something!
Dam winter coming.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mcg
I'm another Mature (56) VTR rider who can't get enough giggle time balancing acceleration and wheel lift.
Probably would have hurt myself if I had this machine when I was teenager or 20 something!
Dam winter coming.
I hope that isn't true for everyone...lol...I'm 28 and I also love this bike, put 4000 miles on it in about a month of ownership...basically I get out to the canyons or just ride every chance I can.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Back Marker

Not to worry BlameCanada, I don't believe it's always an age thing when riding bikes. Hell I was only 18 when I owned a 71 kawasaki H1 (500 cc 2 cycle). Talking about crazy, that bike wouldn't handle for crap, but sure was fun when you hit the power band.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
What are you youngsters talking about? I'm 65, and I carve the local canyon road once or twice a week, year round...

but then there's nath.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Squid

mopar_man is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I'm 29 I've owned a 900RR, R6, a couple of R1's and a ZX7RR over the years . They were all fun in there own way. I recently picked up my first v twin superbike, a 98 Super Hawk. I've never had so much fun riding! Its so comfortable, torquey and sounds mean! These bike are just an all around blast to drive! This Winter I'm doing the ape manual cct's , stage 1 jet kit and k&n filter should make it a little funner!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
What are you youngsters talking about? I'm 65, and I carve the local canyon road once or twice a week, year round...

but then there's nath.
Wow that is old! I'm only 63. By the way do you have one of them carriers for your walker. lol
Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
Wow that is old! I'm only 63. By the way do you have one of them carriers for your walker. lol
If you mean a beer holder on the walker, yes. And training wheels on my Hawk, which makes it even more challenging riding the canyons.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
If you mean a beer holder on the walker, yes. And training wheels on my Hawk, which makes it even more challenging riding the canyons.
I meant a rack on your bike to hold your walker so when you get to your destination.....well, you know sometimes getting off and walking after a long ride can be a bit of a challenge. I like your rack idea, too. That and some decent sport rubber on my tennis ***** and I should be set. lol
Old 11-04-2011, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

I get it now. Yeah, I tried that, but the walker dragged in the corners.

It does take me a while to walk totally upright after I dismount, but I have the same problem after getting out of my truck.

I guess us Baby Boomers just don't know when to quit.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Back Marker

Well VTRsurfer, you're certently an inspiration to the rest of us "youngsters". Since I'm only 57 now, means I have several more years to look forward to. Just have to keep this ol'vtr a runnin.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MOONSTER
Not to worry BlameCanada, I don't believe it's always an age thing when riding bikes. Hell I was only 18 when I owned a 71 kawasaki H1 (500 cc 2 cycle). Talking about crazy, that bike wouldn't handle for crap, but sure was fun when you hit the power band.
Man o MAN do I wish I was alive back then ... H1's H2's RZV500's Gamma's... The Sound of those two strokers give me a funny feeling in my pants and the smells makes me drool... Im 26 BTW and Love my Hawk, Favorite of all the bikes I have owned, EVEN my RD350.

Last edited by Squid; 11-05-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Addition of info.