General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Checking out a superhawk today 12/5/10

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
Checking out a superhawk today 12/5/10

Okay, In an few hours or so i am checking out a 98 superhawk. It has 12k ish miles and is fairly clean condition. I know it is the zero hour- but what is a fair price (let's assuming cosmetically- very good condition) also assuming the CCT and R/R have not been replaced.

What should i look for, what should I offer ($$), any other things i should check out- I have an 89 hawk gt right now- so... this is a tad more bike than that- but atleast i can compare it to something.

Thanks in advance

Craig
Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Based on what's been selling/ what's been offered here, my guess is that a clean '98 is worth about 2500 give or take based on condition and the seller's need to get rid of it. Some people on here have asked up to 4500 for a bike with a similar description but they don't seem to be getting rid of those... and some have been picking up bikes for 1800 or 1900.

I paid 3K for mine with twice the miles and in worse condition but that's because I was blinded by the gloriousness of that which is Superhawk... or I am a moron...

Either way, I'd check for general care/abuse indicators such as chain slack, fluid levels (and colors), and brake pad wear...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=24269
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Good luck. Remember its now 12 years old. 1 or maybe 2 owners with good records would be the most important factors. Look for evidence of good maintenance - a good check of the chain condition/adjustment, the tires, the color of the oil, the radiator fluid condition are all good indicators of care.

Check for regular maintenance items you'll need to do - the RR and CCT you know about - neither being replaced at 12K miles is not unusual and not a problem. Fork seals are a good indicator of care also. The engine should start easily and idle smooth - its a twin so a bit lump very low with some carb slider noise. Otherwise smooth and no obvious valve or chain clatter. You probably can't ride it in philly today, but once warm should rev cleanly.

Check the condition of bolts and screws - is this someone who strips everything and has had it apart many times? Ask about filter and jetting changes - not bad if done right but you should know about it. All stock is best except for key upgrades - nice exhaust, aftermarket shock, front suspension upgrades (springs, valving). Look in the tank with a flashlight for rust.

Yellow obviously worth more due to the excess HP these have. but any color is good

If one or 2 owners with regular service then 3500 might be worth spending. You get a lot of bike that can last a long time. With many owners or poor maintenance a LOT lower or IMO just keep looking there are a lot of low mileage ones out there and the economy/season make them relatively cheap.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
look for signs of crash damage. oil leaks, sprocket and chain wear, condition of tires, fluid levels, and anything aftermarket doesnt make the bike worth anymore IMO.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
If it has a claimed 12k then there should be very little wear on the footpeg rubbers + little to no marks on tire rims. If it is truly that milage then check wear & condition of chain & sprockets as they might be still original. Inspect plastics (and as best you can on the inside) for any repairs. Marks on bar ends, indicators and mirrors could show if it has ever taken a fall.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Back Marker

Checked it out- rode it- idled smooth, fluids looked like the fluid they were meant to lOok like, tires good, minor chips and scratches, however it backfired in 1- 2 gear when I let oFf the has and I am almost positive it has something to do with the carbon exhaust it has- I would put the stockers back on as it was kinda obnoxious- also if u can tell me another reason it might be backfiring- let me know-

Thnx
Old 12-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Back Marker

Ps. This forum needs a chat/ in section like Hawkgtforum.com
Old 12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Back Marker

The reason I think it is the exhaust is because the A hole that had my Hawk gt before me gutted the exhaust and it did the same backfiring that this superhawk did- until I put a stock baffled exhaust back on
Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
could be lots of reasons, mostly minor. a lot of people here have disabled the PAIR system with aftermarket slipons to get rid of some of the backfire. ask if it was rejetted with the slipons or if the PAIR system has been removed. I'd worry more about how it ran vs. the backfire as that is easy to dial out.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
On carbureted engines you get a rich mixture on deceleration caused by high vacuum (up to 25" Hg) when the throttle plates close suddenly. That causes unburned gas to exit the straight through exhaust, burning when it hits air containing oxygen. The stock exhaust has baffles, so exhaust backfire isn't common.

On fuel injected engines the injectors are shut off on deceleration, so you wouldn't have that problem.

Mine backfires on decel with the Yoshimura street baffles removed, but not near as much with the baffles installed. And I've removed the PAIR, mainly for easier access to the carbs. The decel backfire (popping) doesn't bother me.

It's also possible the jetting is a bit too rich, and that's easy to fix if you have mechanical skills. Your main concern should be that it accelerates smoothly throughout the rev range.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum! There's nothing like a SuperHawk.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cyfac0183
The reason I think it is the exhaust is because the A hole that had my Hawk gt before me gutted the exhaust and it did the same backfiring that this superhawk did- until I put a stock baffled exhaust back on
I don't know a lot (mechanically) about this bike but I do know that backfiring on decell is either aif/fuel/jet issue and/or pair related. It's not a big deal and is easily remedied.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by cliby
could be lots of reasons, mostly minor. a lot of people here have disabled the PAIR system with aftermarket slipons to get rid of some of the backfire. ask if it was rejetted with the slipons or if the PAIR system has been removed. I'd worry more about how it ran vs. the backfire as that is easy to dial out.
+5
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
SuperSport

Did you buy it?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Back Marker

I am waiting to hear back from him- I just had someone check out my hawk GT so- that is good news-

but I hope I get the SH or I Will have an empty garage for the winter-
Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I believe the addition of aftermarket items-if items I like-are done that it increases the value of it to me, it played a large role in the bike I recently decided to purchase and I couldn't be happier. I am a hotrod guy so the rumble and slight backfiring that I get downshifting or letting it roll downhill is right up my alley and I love it.