chain and sprocket costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
chain and sprocket costs

After 12K miles on my girl she is in need of a new chain and sprocket. I plan on going -1 in front and +2 in back.

What type of price am I looking at for the chain and 2 sprockets? Where can I get the best deal on this?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
check with lockhart phillips I just did the same conv. with a regina o-ring 530 and got a SWEEET deal . It helps I work parts but the retail is still a sweet deal .
Old 07-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
I picked up a sprocket and chain kit from sum of all parts on ebay for about $130. It was an RK chain and vortex sprockets. They screwed up my order but finally sent me the right sprocket the week after with no hiccups.

Some people swear by DID chains but I don't really have any issues with the RKs. The RKs use a clip instead and not a master link, you can put the clip on the wrong way and risk having the chain pop off, some people probbie wheelie the heck out of their bikes, or don't properly maintain the chains which might also be why you sometimes see on the forums people saying negative things about RK. I've never had any issues with the chain though.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
No offense to anyone with Vortex, but I think they suck. AFAM is the best you can get. Most chains are pretty good nowadays and you really can't go wrong with any of them, especially since our bikes don't make that much power.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Chuey
I picked up a sprocket and chain kit from sum of all parts on ebay for about $130. It was an RK chain and vortex sprockets. They screwed up my order but finally sent me the right sprocket the week after with no hiccups.

Some people swear by DID chains but I don't really have any issues with the RKs. The RKs use a clip instead and not a master link, you can put the clip on the wrong way and risk having the chain pop off, some people probbie wheelie the heck out of their bikes, or don't properly maintain the chains which might also be why you sometimes see on the forums people saying negative things about RK. I've never had any issues with the chain though.
WTF!!!! Dude they really screwed up your order if you got the clip type master!!! Take that off right away and send it back, I bought mine from them and got the rivet type and NO other type should be used on a bike making the HP and torque of these bikes.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
No offense to anyone with Vortex, but I think they suck. AFAM is the best you can get. Most chains are pretty good nowadays and you really can't go wrong with any of them, especially since our bikes don't make that much power.
+1 on the regular Vortex sprockets but the hardened black sprocket isn't too bad.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Squid

TheDarkKnight is on a distinguished road
I need to start looking for a good deal too. At 8200miles, I hope that the chain lasts me the rest of this season.

Just checked on ebay.
The kit mentioned above is now $200.
and if you want the rivet, its an extra $20.

Any other recommended retailers/on-line sites?

tdk.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I've been shopping too. $200 seems to be the kit price at Kirk, Bike Bandit, etc.

One eBay-er has a $140 buy it now price. BUT shipping is $53. Does anyone fall for that ****???

If anyone finds a deal significantly below
$200, please sound off here loud and clear.

Thanks

Tommy
Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Squid

TheDarkKnight is on a distinguished road
Group buys?

Being a noob, not sure how things work here, but...

sounds like time to organize a group buy?
If anyone has a good contact...

Yeah, yeah, I know. I should try to organize it... but I am too damn lazy to start looking for possible suppliers...

I dont need it right away - it will prob be a off-season project for me.

tdk.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Here, again, is the combo I put together from Bike Bandit last year. So far, so good.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...9248#post59248
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Squid

motorhall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
WTF!!!! Dude they really screwed up your order if you got the clip type master!!! Take that off right away and send it back, I bought mine from them and got the rivet type and NO other type should be used on a bike making the HP and torque of these bikes.
I ran clip-type master links on my Suzuki GS1150's and my Kawasaki drag bike making over 140 HP. I've never had a master link failure. Getting the clip on an O-ring chain can be a pain, though. I've always been partial to RK and Tsubaki chains. D.I.D.'s are good as well.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

If you trust it go ahead but for me.....no thanks just my opinion though.

they still have the 520 conversion on ebay for $159 shipped with rivet type master.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
If you do run a clip type master link and not the one with the rivet, try to order an extra clip, I bent the first one trying to get it onto the chain. Also this might not apply to the VTR as the RK sprocket and chain that I ordered was for my old CBR600F4 and they may have a stronger chain recommended for the VTR even though the HP are about the same. Not sure if the additional torque justifies a stronger chain. I just go with what is recommended usually.