Old 12-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Squid

Motoboy is on a distinguished road
CBR 1000 triple fork swap

04-05 CBR 1000 front end SwapHello,

i have a new to new to me 99 vtr1000

i am about to pull the trigger on a
04-05 CBR 1000 front end from a local buyer

From the research I have done on this site this is a direct swap ie steering stem triple T.
correct me if I am wrong.

My question is this, is this a good swap,
is it worth it?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:28 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
The steering head bearings and races will need to be replace. All ***** has what you will need.
As far as "is it worth it", that's going to be a tough call for someone else to make. The general consensus here is yes. I've done it and if I had to do ti over I would get the forks revalved, new springs for my weight, and a fork brace and call it good enough. The money went into where I am now I feel would have been better spent on light weight wheels.
That said fixing the stock componets leaves out the tremendous upgrade in brakes that a fork swap like your are considering will give.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Squid

Motoboy is on a distinguished road
Ok

well the front end triple - forks - brake lever and front master for 150.00
i will have to find brakes and rim-rotors
Old 12-17-2017, 06:00 PM
SuperBike

At that price it's a no brainer. Do it!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Squid

Bngt is on a distinguished road
CBR 1000 RR front end

I have done it too. The fork is massively better and so are the brakes. I also have the wheels from the same CBR 1000 RR which are lighter than stock in spite of a wider rear. You have to move the radiators a bit for clearance and I found that clip-ons from a 929 which are higher had a better fit.

Unfortunately it changes the steering geometry to create slower steering. VTR like older bikes have more rake at 24.9 degrees. CBR is at 23.75 degrees. Both have the same trail of 3.8inches/97mm. To get the same trail the triple tree offset is different. This means that when you put the CBR fork on a VTR it will lean back more and the trail will increase.

You get great high speed stability but you have to lean a bit more for a certain turning radius. That is at least how I experience the difference.
If you haven't changed stock damper yet, you should. I have a Honda CBR 600 F4i which works much better.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Absolutely worth it, especially at 150!? Did I read that right?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:20 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
One would think that if you add a 6mm spacer on the top of the rear shock, between the clevis and the frame, the Rake would be brought inline with the stock rake configuration. I took this suggestion from this forum and it gave a little more "snap" to the stock steering. You might have to go up 7mm to gain the same advantage with you set up. If you go this route you may want to use "U" shaped auto body shims as they can be installed and/or changed without removing the shock mount.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Bngt
I have done it too. The fork is massively better and so are the brakes. I also have the wheels from the same CBR 1000 RR which are lighter than stock in spite of a wider rear. You have to move the radiators a bit for clearance and I found that clip-ons from a 929 which are higher had a better fit.

Unfortunately it changes the steering geometry to create slower steering. VTR like older bikes have more rake at 24.9 degrees. CBR is at 23.75 degrees. Both have the same trail of 3.8inches/97mm. To get the same trail the triple tree offset is different. This means that when you put the CBR fork on a VTR it will lean back more and the trail will increase.

You get great high speed stability but you have to lean a bit more for a certain turning radius. That is at least how I experience the difference.
If you haven't changed stock damper yet, you should. I have a Honda CBR 600 F4i which works much better.
Any explanation on the rear wheel swap would be interesting.