General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Finally Done with the rebuild!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally Done with the rebuild!!!

Well after about 4 months of work, I am finally done with the rebuild... Fresh engine, new wave rotors front and rear, braced and polished swingarm, new Sportec tires, powder coated wheels, Penske double adjustable shock, Vortex 520 chain w/ 15/43 sprockets, Moriwaki rear sets, ZeroGravity factory wind screen, and ceramic coated exhaust. I did all the teardown and re-assembly of the bike, some of the engine teardown.

Kiyo Wantanabe (www.kiyowatanbe.com) did all the machine work and rebuild of the engine and carbs. He also did the 900rr brace/polishing to my swingarm, as well as welding up a custom rear brake caliper bracket. For the engine, he did major port work, new factory valves with competition valve job, same factory cams, 11.5 comp J&E pistons, lightweight Carrillo rods, balanced everything, with a few of pounds of weight savings from rotating assy, and a few more from the flywheel. Also, the engine is now totally California SMOG free, with APE ctt's, and a Factory Pro Transmission shifter assembly.

I have almost 200 pics of the entire project, from bike teardown, to all engine work, to the rebuild of the entire bike.... So, I will try to get more posted up later, and if anyone is looking for a pic of something specific etc, I may be able to help out....

Old 08-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Sounds fantastic !! - try posting some more photos, the above images didn't quite make it.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
the engine is now totally California SMOG free
Doesn't CA have emissions testing for bikes? If so, any concerns about passing?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
no they don't. they only have a rule where you can't bring in a 49 state smog legal bike unless it has 6000 miles on it. Other then that you're fine
Old 08-18-2006, 07:47 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
sounds awesome!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Squid

blackboyonhawk is on a distinguished road
cost on a project like this????
Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The mods sound awesome and must have cost some bucks. Let us know how it all works and how much power it has. I'm in the finishing stages of a much more modest hop-up, entailing JE pistons and ported heads, but no balancing, blueprinting or weight reduction measures, and I can't wait to get back on the road.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Back Marker

It is anticipated after break-in that it dyno's btwn 130 and 140 hp... With such a big weight savings from the down-sized flywheel, when I get off the gas (only seen 5,000 rpm so far a couple of times for break-in) there is not a lot of engine roll-off.... will have to get used to that..... However, even with break-in low rpms, it spins up really really quicker than when it was stock, and the pull is really noticable from 2000 rpm and up..... Though it won't have the top speed of any new race replica.... I can't wait to feel the low end grunt not to mention the wheelies....

I bought the SH used April 2005 for $4000, and the cost of all the mods since then, has been a bit more than the purchase price, but I figure that now I got a totally brand new cycle, that is cheap to insure compared to a new(er) race replica, and for me, probably performs just as well... I have all my receipts, so if anyone wants, I'll share all the exact details of any of the mods (from who and how much)....

I posted a couple of pics in the member's section, but still haven't figured out how to post up pics in a thread so they aren't thumbnails.....
Old 08-18-2006, 02:40 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Are you sure that you'll be getting that kind of power with stock cams? The port work and the pistons will make a difference, that's for sure. I've only seen claimed gains of 10hp or so with pistons. I'm guessing another 5hp (additional, remember there is diminishing returns here) with porting. It sounds to me like the combination would not be 'right' without higher lift cams. Just wondering...
Old 08-18-2006, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Are you sure that you'll be getting that kind of power with stock cams? The port work and the pistons will make a difference, that's for sure. I've only seen claimed gains of 10hp or so with pistons. I'm guessing another 5hp (additional, remember there is diminishing returns here) with porting. It sounds to me like the combination would not be 'right' without higher lift cams. Just wondering...
Well, his is totally blueprinted, but I agree with you that his estimation seems high, especially with the stock cams. I considered cams for mine, but right now the budget doesn't allow it. I'll see how I like it and then add cams later if I feel the need.
I also have a 954 front end on the way. The fun never stops.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Remember that without extra bracing, the VTR cases will only handle about 120hp before bad things start happening. There may be some more info on this in the archives, but I do remember this from back in the runlevelzero email list times.

Oh, and 2Phast, the reason the pics are so small is because you formatted them that way. They are only 19kb. You need to reformat and enlarge them, but keep them under 97.7kb to upload them. I fixed your original post to link the pics from your gallery.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:39 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
There's no way your gonna get those hp numbers with just port work and JE's. Thats said, VERY nice!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Squid

Motohead
Beautiful bike! I don't think you'll see more than 115, which was enough to break the 17k mile crank in mine (113hp/ 78 ft/lbs. stock cams, ported heads JE 11.5:1). Can't really compare the two though, my crank may have just been (un)luck of the draw. Maybe the lighter rotating assembly will take more though, too. I've read (from Big Valley Honda, Moriwaki distributor) the do not exceed mark for hp on a stock crank is 130 - not sure how accurate that is though.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Superstock

denmah
looks great!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You're not going to leave those wuss-*** forks on there are ya? :-)
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Back Marker

Now I'm on the hunt for a donor RC51 so I can swap forks and tail/seat section.... Perhaps a trip to Manny Moe and Jacks for some silver paint is in order until then....
Old 08-22-2006, 12:33 AM
SuperBike

I'm anxious to see what your results are. I started mine tonight for the first time with the pistons and head work. Started right up, but every little noise had me paranoid that I'd forgotten something or put something back together incorrectly. So far, so good.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll break her in good.