Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
My money is on the fuel system.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned
Back Marker

SuperBlink is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steener
Pushrod.... You might want to check your acronym directory. FUBAR = F'd Up Beyond All Recognition or F'd Up By Army Regulations. F'd Up But All Right doesn't even make sense.

Tweety.... Thanks for taking the time for helping a forum member out.

Can't even realize i didn't catch that one yesterday that was a mainstay at my house with my dad when i was younger.... This bike really has my head fubar
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned
Back Marker

Originally Posted by happytrack44

Hope your money is right friend....
Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned
Back Marker

Still waiting on a buddy to come help me guys.. This one may take a minute to sort itself out. However, I've located a breathing replacement engine in case (and perhaps even if this one isn't) that I'll pick up when I figure this out better, (i.e. - lift and spin the rear wheel)... Going to paypal the guy the engine money today or early tomorrow and get working on picking it and everything that's coming with it up as it's a good distance away... If I have to put that one in, i think it would be better to do the build up of the 01 engine rather than the 98 donor that I'd be getting... Without trying to get ahead of myself as i don't even know if it's needed at this point, does a 98 swap directly into an 01?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by happytrack44
Yes, make sure the fuel tank is venting. I had a blocked vent tube that caused my bike to misfire, stall out and die just as you described. An easy way to check it is to open the gas cap (allows air into the tank) and try starting the bike.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned
Back Marker

****, i really wish I could get the *** end of the thing in the air on my own so I could spin the wheel... What's wrong with trying to push the bike while in gear? Wouldn't that provide me the same indicators in terms of the noises that would or wouldn't be coming from the engine is something went wrong and it's not the furl system?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
Yes, make sure the fuel tank is venting. I had a blocked vent tube that caused my bike to misfire, stall out and die just as you described. An easy way to check it is to open the gas cap (allows air into the tank) and try starting the bike.
If I remember right, this issue was much more prevalent in full tanks and intermittent weather (correct me if I'm wrong here) and would occur when people filled up, especially if they topped the tank off...

So, if your equation includes having just filled your tank, this may be even more of and indication that it's not venting well.

I'm guessing that your motor is fine if you didn't hear any destructive noises coming from inside when it died...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Just put $5 in a few times, I'd say three times total, but no, never heard any noise I thought to be bad, destructive, or catastrophic. It did feel like I ran out of gas and everything didn't just shut down as what's been described to me happens when an engine seizes... It's the CCT's that worry me but that may be for not? I don't want to take a gamble but I also don't feel like sitting here and doing nothing. if I go up there and roll it forward while it's in first gear or try to get the tire to move forward on my own just lifting the rear and I don't hear any noises am I correct that it's ok to try and start it up. Further, that if it does start up that it probably needs a full tune up before being ridden anywhere...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
[quote=steener;290446 F'd Up But All Right doesn't even make sense.
[/quote]

Yeah that was a new one to me also........ Maybe it's from the "New" army.....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM
MotoGP

CCT's make all kinds of metal noises when they go... when the chain skips timing, the valves start smashing into the heads and destruction ensues... so I'm guessing you're good... there have been one or two cases where the CCT's went and the owner caught it BEFORE the chain skipped, but the chances of that are way small.

Someone may be able to confirm this- it's a total guess on my part- but you may be able to see if the engine will turn over by rotating the crankshaft bolt. This is found on the left side of your engine case... There's a large alan headed plug right in the middle of the casing- you take that out and right inside is the bolt- it's a big one (like 17mm or something... can't remember right now). You crank that counter clockwise slowly and if there's no grinding, friction or really heavy resistance you should be good. There will be some resistance if you don't take your plugs out as the cylinders compress the air in the chambers...

Anyone think this is a bad idea?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Yeah that was a new one to me also........ Maybe it's from the "New" army.....
I was lost there too... excuse my civilian stupEdit: never mind.. I read the whole thread... idity, but it's F*ked Up Beyond All Recognition, yeah?

Edit: never mind.. I read the whole thread...

Last edited by 7moore7; 01-10-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
CCT's make all kinds of metal noises when they go... when the chain skips timing, the valves start smashing into the heads and destruction ensues... so I'm guessing you're good... there have been one or two cases where the CCT's went and the owner caught it BEFORE the chain skipped, but the chances of that are way small.

Someone may be able to confirm this- it's a total guess on my part- but you may be able to see if the engine will turn over by rotating the crankshaft bolt. This is found on the left side of your engine case... There's a large alan headed plug right in the middle of the casing- you take that out and right inside is the bolt- it's a big one (like 17mm or something... can't remember right now). You crank that counter clockwise slowly and if there's no grinding, friction or really heavy resistance you should be good. There will be some resistance if you don't take your plugs out as the cylinders compress the air in the chambers...

Anyone think this is a bad idea?
Thought Tweetyy said the better option was spinning the rear to hear....idk, the not knowing sucks ***.... I'm gonna see if I can spin the rear on my own... Re-read thread and if i feel like it's ok, try to start it...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned
Back Marker

So I went up there, no noise trying a couple things to get the rear spinning... Anyhow, I stuck the key in, pulled the choke and hit start a couple times... Didn't catch right away but no noises, then it caught and ran for about 10 seconds and died.... I know, download the manual, getting to that point. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the fuel theory is is even more on track now that we know the bike felt like it was running out of gas cause it actually was... So, replace the entire fuel system along with full tune up and keep riding?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SuperBlink
Thought Tweetyy said the better option was spinning the rear to hear....idk, the not knowing sucks ***.... I'm gonna see if I can spin the rear on my own... Re-read thread and if i feel like it's ok, try to start it...
My way takes a few tools- maybe that's why he said it was easier that way?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

Try running it with the filler cap open...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Try running it with the filler cap open...
Yes please.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Yup, turned over a couple times now. As soon as it does it sounds like fuel is being not delivered in sufficient quantity... Then i try to give it gas with the throttle and it dies, did that one twice to confirm it...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned
Back Marker

K, off to run it with the cap open....
Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Slightly more lively, but still dies on it's own and also if i try to give it gas...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Walking the bike in gear will kind of work... It's not going to work in first gear... 6'th is probably the only gear that will let you move the engine even if it's spinning normally... It won't really let you "feel" what's happing near the same though...

But as a logical follow up question... You are supposed to work on that bike, right? no matter if the engine is siezed now or not?

So, get your *** in gear and go pick up a pit-stand... The cheapo kind will do, but the sturdier and easier to work with the better... It's preciuos little you can do without one... So you will need it at one point or another, no matter what facilities you get through school...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Walking the bike in gear will kind of work... It's not going to work in first gear... 6'th is probably the only gear that will let you move the engine even if it's spinning normally...

But as a logica follow up question... You are supposed to work on that bike, right? no matter if the engine is siezed now or not?

So, get your *** in gear and go pick up a pit-stand... The cheapo kind will do, but the sturdier and easier to work with the better... It's preciuos little you can do without one... So you will need it at one point or another, no matter what facilities you get through school...

Hey tweety man... Good to see ya.... As you may have seen it seems to not have blown a motor, seems to be a fuel supply issue as it starts but then dies because of what seems like a lack of fuel. Also, when I give it throttle to prevent it from dying, it dies....

Other than that, yes, i have to get a stand for it, waiting for a mishap to clear up with my cc company as they're holding some funds they shouldn't have due to a wrong adddress on file... Anyhow, as soon as they release the funds back to me, or take the hold off the funds rather, then that's one of the first things I'm going to get in terms of items needed to work on the bike. I assumed at school I'll also be presented with a best case for a starter set of tools, maybe you have some ideas on that one too? Anyhow, at this point it seems to be a fuel issue, really glad the engine didn't seize on me and scared me into doing the cct's as one of the first things I do aside from get it running again...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
MotoGP

So not the CCT's, R/R, or ventilation...

I'm a leave this to those more experienced with fuel/carbs and
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Ok let's look at the petcock/diaphragm next...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Downloading the manual to find out how to do that... Don't even have a screw driver right now... Making a trip to the hardware store to start my tool collection once I get a parts list for the issue at hand and get that (maybe) ordered tonight if possible.... if you guys have suggestions besides ratchets, crescent wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and rear stand in terms of tools to get that will be useful for the task at hand but also in the future as I get into class and the bike...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Here's what the trouble shooting page says for my symptoms.....

Engine stalls, hard start, rough idle-
-Restricted Fuel Line
-Fuel mixture too rich/lean
-Contaminated/deteriorated fuel - This one can be ruled out me thinks?
-Intake Air Leak
-Maladjusted idle Speed
-maladjusted Pilot screw
-restricted breather tube
-Clogged air cleaner
-Clogged slow circuit
-Starting enrichment valve open
-Faulty EVAP control system (CA only, I'm in CA)
-Faulty ignition system
-

Last edited by SuperBlink; 01-10-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Didn't copy and paste too nicely.....
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
MotoGP

Its really handy to have a bit driver with alan bits as well. And I really like the alan wrenches that come in the handle and fold out- you can put a bit more pressure on them and there's less chance of losing individual pieces.

Grab some WD-40 if you don't have any- it's useful to clean/protect/loosen all of your external pieces. Shop rags are nice to have around too (read: old cotton tee shirts if you're into saving money). Blue thread locker too; On these V-twins things like to vibrate loose
Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
MotoGP

You can probably rule out these as well:
-Fuel mixture too rich/lean
...This would have given you problems before
-Maladjusted idle Speed
...wouldn't die on the highway if this was the case
-maladjusted Pilot screw
...again, if it was running before, probably not this
-restricted breather tube
...probably not this, opening the filler cap would have bypassed it
-Clogged air cleaner
...I don't know that this is a common issue with this bike, and it wouldn't happen suddenly
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned
Back Marker

Engine stalls, hard start, rough idle-
-Restricted Fuel Line
-Intake Air Leak
-Clogged slow circuit
-Starting enrichment valve open
-Faulty EVAP control system (CA only, I'm in CA)
-Faulty ignition system

So this is what we're left with... Anyone care to chime in on where to begin?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned
Back Marker

I'm thinking restricted fuel line somewhere, needs a fuel filter/pump (does the bike have a pump?) or something along those lines right now, but then again, I'm not a mechanic, yet....
Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SuperBlink

So this is what we're left with... Anyone care to chime in on where to begin?
See post #53

Quick Reply: BIKE DIED ON FREEWAY!