General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Best ride ever !

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Best ride ever !

Well , my intention today as usual was to head up to the mountains . But the guys I was planning on riding with had things come up and couldnt make it and I am not big fan of riding in the mountains solo. So I was sitting there drinking my coffee about 7:30am and my 8 yr old son wakes up and comes wandering in and says so I guess your not riding today. ( He knows on Sundays that I am usually gone by now )This gives me a idea !.. I have been hinting around for a few months now to my wife about letting him ride with me on the VTR , As you can imagine she wasnt really liking the idea ! Well today she said yes ( I think she was still half asleep ) My sons eyes lit up ! He had his leather jacket & helmet on before I could even get the garage door open. We just cruised around some of the back roads with almost no traffic ... no faster than the speed limit ( trust me I was riding like a poster boy for two wheel safety ) . We rode about 80 miles today ( but never got more than 15 minutes from the house )just cruising & taking it easy and making a few stops along the way so his arms wouldnt get tired from holding on ( and to check in with his mom who was a nervous wreck ). When we would stop he would say ( We dont have to go home yet do we ?) This was probably the most tame ride I have ever took on the Hawk and it was worth every mile just to see the excitement and joy on his face . He couldnt wait to tell every kid in the nieghborhood he went riding on the big bike with his dad . So I may have a new weekend riding partner ! ......As long as we dont get more than 15-20 minutes away from the house .
Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Back Marker

steener is on a distinguished road
Smile

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. My 8 year old son doesn't get nearly as excited about riding with dad as his 11 year old sister.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:44 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
WAY COOL!!!!

I'm just not there yet with my 7 year old. This is a pic from this morning of his "Nicky" imitation. He ask me for a set of leathers after I took the picture. Obviously, he's more ready than I am at this point.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I was just asked today, if I were to ever have a little Scooby running around, when would I let him ride on the back. I said he'll be riding on his own dirtbike long before he hops on the back of my sportbike. I'm sure perceptions about life will change when/if I have a kid, but I don't think my opinion on this will need to change much.

But hey, that's cool you got him out there with you. Now he'll really be hooked for life!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
My nine year old has never shown any desire to go for a ride. When he was really little, every time I put him on the bike just for a trip down the street (we live on a very short dead end street) he would try to jump off. I haven't tried to interest him in it since then, but your post makes me think it's time to give it another shot.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
I was just asked today, if I were to ever have a little Scooby running around, when would I let him ride on the back. I said he'll be riding on his own dirtbike long before he hops on the back of my sportbike. I'm sure perceptions about life will change when/if I have a kid, but I don't think my opinion on this will need to change much.

But hey, that's cool you got him out there with you. Now he'll really be hooked for life!
I agree with you 100% ! He's been riding his own bike since he was 4 ( XR50). I think it teaches them not only balance ,but physics and body positioning . He stays in the right position & doesnt wiggle around back there . He does really well . He has ridden just around the neighborhood with me before ( sitting between me and the tank) so he wasnt completely out of his element. So I think that helped too. But no doubt riding his own bike makes him a better passenger.