SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   avoiding johnny law... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/avoiding-johnny-law-6818/)

call me phil 03-30-2005 04:19 PM

avoiding johnny law...

does anyone here have a radar detector on their machine and if so where have you mounted it? was pinched by local constable for "avoiding" the posted speed limit, got warning, my one lucky pass of the season.

99Hawk 03-30-2005 05:34 PM

Re: avoiding johnny law...

Great question, I just barely missed getting nabbed last week. I think this cop setup his trap just to get me after he saw I was going to pull back onto a road where I usually nail it. For some weird reason I had a feeling I should play it safe over a small hill - and there he was holding his ray-gun pointed at the top of the hill..... pure luck.
The trick I guess is being able to tell when the detector goes off. I suppose a dedicated speaker wired inside the helmet?

call me phil 03-30-2005 06:32 PM

i was thinking more of the visual lights on the detector. i had one on my old zx-10 and the lights helped avoid some major fines. i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as to where to place one on the hawk..

cozart02 03-30-2005 07:29 PM

Just my opinion - Don't waste your money. Radar is only one way to get you (not to mention the different types of radar and limitation of detectors); there is also pacing, arial surveillanc, and estimation. Yes, believe it or not you can receive a ticket and be found guilty from an officer's estimation of your speed, based on his / her training and experience. I have seen this happen 1st hand. For what it's worth - here is my two part system. 1: PAY ATTENTION - How many times have you seen the squad car too late and in retrospect realized that you could have seen him at least 1/2 mile sooner if you were paying attention. Pay special attention on curves, hills, and when on the interstate, on ramps and overpasses. 2: GO FAST ENOUGH THEY WON'T CATCH UP - Police will speed through traffic in hopes of coming up on someone they can pace. Since people generally don't check their mirrors like they should it is easy pickins. Most police are willing to go 75 to 80 even 85 in a 65mph zone to do this. Any faster, and people start calling to complain about the crazy police driving too fast while not apparently responding to calls. If you go significanly faster than the speed limit you can keep police from coming up behind you. If you pay attention to what is coming up, you can avoid coming up on them. Just my opinion.

Oh, and by the way - would someone please respond to my tps question besides the only other guy here who is scared to do it. I don't think the two of us are much help to one another :lol:

call me phil 03-30-2005 07:56 PM

the last part of your comment was classic, that was funny.

BooYeah 03-30-2005 08:50 PM

buy a valentine one and a motorcycle kit, you will be able to get the cops before they get you. valentineone.com

faz 03-30-2005 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by cozart02";p=&quot (Post 3821)
Oh, and by the way - would someone please respond to my tps question besides the only other guy here who is scared to do it. I don't think the two of us are much help to one another :lol:

bastid! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oppenheimer 03-31-2005 12:39 PM

I guess I shouldn't lock my bike because there are ways to get around it, or fit an alarm for the same reason?

Just because there may be other ways for an LEO to clock you, doesn't mean that a RD is worthless.

I do however have to agree that paying attention is an absolute must, with a RD or without. The worst thing you could do is have the attitude that a RD is like a bullet-proof vest, and that this makes you Superman, impervious to anything. You still have to pay attention, which you should be doing anyway just trying to notice what is around you, the deer at the side of the road, truck that is going to squash you from behind, the car that is changing lanes right into you, etc. What the RD sees over the hill or around the corner may save you, while the added attention you are paying may save you when its instant-on. The more you have in your arsenal, the better.

As for mounting, the biggest challenge is to find someplace secure, that also gives the unit an unobstructed ‘view’ of the road. For noticing the alarm you could:

- Rig up an earphone
- Rig up an external speaker, such as a small water-proof alarm system horn, with a relay
- Rig up an external bright light that will catch your attention even if you aren’t looking down

cozart02 03-31-2005 06:58 PM

I agree - anything that may help you is a plus, whether it's preventing theft or tickets. The question that arises is how much is the added protection worth? Personally, I would of course lock my bike when I park it - the lock came with the bike and I'd be a fool not to. I might even pay $100.00 for an alarm. I would not however pay $500 for an alarm - to me, the cost / benefit just isn't there. The question is, for a reasonable price, can you get a radar detector that is good enough to provide substantial protection, and also, what percentage of bike tickets are writen based on radar. If an excellent radar detector cost $500, and only 1/10 of bike tickets are written based on radar, I would pass. If the numbers are flipped maybe its a good idea. Also, smart cops don't leave the radar on, because they know detectors pick it up before they can see them. Smart ones see you, decide you're worth a try, and then beam you. Of course, not all are smart.

On another related topic, in Illinois here they decided the're going to put cameras in construction zones to catch speeders. It takes a picture of your vehicle, license plate, and face, and they send you a nice "post card" in the mail. Question is, what do they do when you can't be identified because you have a helmet on? Does anyone have any experience with this? What happened?

BooYeah 03-31-2005 07:02 PM

well if you get a valentine one then you can move it from your car to your bike very easily. Hence it helps you in both places, since you don't need to drive both at once it works.

superbling 04-01-2005 06:48 AM

My very limited experience with radar detectors brings up three points:

1) I end up riding much slower as the damn thing went off all the time (it seemed). New models I'm sure are much better.

2) Get pulled over and the LEO might let you off as I have been many, many times but if they see the detector; BAM!, instant ticket.

3) Thieves love them.

YMMV.

I've read lot's of positives about valentine ones.

divingindaytona 04-01-2005 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cozart02";p=&quot (Post 3821)
Yes, believe it or not you can receive a ticket and be found guilty from an officer's estimation of your speed, based on his / her training and experience.

Ah yes remember the RC51 that was clocked doing 200mph on the expressway this last fall. :wink:

The law enforcer in the plane "clocked" him at this speed.

What a crock

NOrrTH 04-01-2005 10:55 AM

My experience with radar detectors:

- end up riding with a little less caution as I can't help but subconciously rely on it somewhat. Maybe that says something about my maturity or intelligence :roll:

- worry about it getting stolen.

Personally I seem to have better luck not using them. I have a good one right now that I dont use for the above reasons.

call me phil 04-01-2005 02:58 PM

all very good points to think about, i thank you guys for that. its still up in the air as to whether i get one, it just seems every time i get a ticket it is ususally for like 15 miles over the limit through town. i dunno still thinking.

miken996 04-05-2005 02:05 PM

try this link on radar detectors gives all the info you needed to know and more!!! www.speedzones.com/