General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Another new Superhawk owner (picked over a Mille)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Squid

bammerburn is on a distinguished road
Another new Superhawk owner (picked over a Mille)

I'm the dude who made that Mille thread. I had a Z1000 that I bought with excitement which turned into apathy due to the bike's riding nature. I have a streetfightered Ninja 636 that was too much like the Z1000. Its front forks were terrible, so I installed .95 springs. The bike still unsettled me in corners - no confidence - so I sold it:

Name:  Wb3fBpP.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  625.0 KB

And I ended up getting a red '02 SH with 14.7k miles, for $3,000:

Name:  uslIYgJ.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  333.2 KB

Riding it around feels like riding a speedboat in a laying-down position. The suspension, despite being stock and inadequate for what it is, is still better than the Z1000. The whole package just pushed me through corners better - strange. The torque is AWESOME. It's just like my SV650 - I'm always in the 4-6k RPM range, which is plenty enough for everything. I'm so used to the standard-riding posture - my last, like, five motorcycles were standard posture. My kickboxing classes over the past year has certainly helped me get used to clip-ons again.

The conical exhaust on there is too loud (fun as hell, though). So I ordered a set of 13'' tri-oval stainless Delkevics... should arrive next week. Baffles for the win.

So far I've changed its oil (to Rotella T) and cleared out the chain for fresh lube. Next is flushing the brakes and most likely a SS front brake line - rather weak braking action there.

My plan is to replace the cam chain tensioners with manual ones and the factory R/R with a newer one, but that's during wintertime, likely.

All in all, an AWESOME upgrade from a SV650.

Anyone interested in taking those Danmoto conicals from me?

Last edited by bammerburn; 08-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Nice bike Bammer, I'm envious.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
very nice welcome to the addiction! where are you located? you can add that too your signature if you want

very clean looking hawk there good find
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. Sweet looking bike you got. Congrats.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM
bpw
Back Marker

bpw is on a distinguished road
Good looking hawk, but I gotta say youre bat **** crazy slamming the Z like that. And the stock sticks on the vtr are better than the stockers on the Z? I literally have both bikes in my garage and feel exactly the opposite... strange.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Squid

bammerburn is on a distinguished road
I'm located in Rochester, NY.

Yeah, I found it strange that the Z was still plodding around in corners after I installed stiff Racetech springs. I think it's because... the frame geometry just sucks for that specific year ('07)? I'm used to the low stature of my SV650 (which has Racetech springs), and also used to the beautiful suspension of my Ninja 636 - both happening to be small bikes for me. The Z, being large and heavy, coupled with substandard forks, just didn't work out.

The Z was also like riding a luxury automobile - it increases in speed VERY quickly but doesn't make me feel it much. The Superhawk was what I was looking for - snotty, gnarly engine characteristics - making me FEEL the increase in speed down to the bones. I can feel the V-twin digging its heels through the rear tire in corners, while just going 5k RPM - what a motorcycle just should be like. My girlfriend was actually feeling herself nearly pulled off the bike, which she didn't with the Z .

Last edited by bammerburn; 08-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome bammer. You should do a little searching for info on one of our MVP suspension guys, Jamie Daugherty. Here is a start.