General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SH or RSV1000 Mille?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Squid

bammerburn is on a distinguished road
SH or RSV1000 Mille?

Hi everybody. I have a conundrum. I am trying to sell my '07 Z1000 to get a big vtwin bike, because the Z is a bit too sedate for my tastes.

I found a '02 Superhawk on Craigslist, with 14k miles. Everything seems to be in good shape, and the seller's asking $3k flat. We set up plans for me to see the bike tomorrow (which will be my very first time riding a 1000cc v-twin bike).

If I get a Superhawk, then I will have to swap out the suspension to match my 190 lb. weight and install higher clip-ons or even a handlebar, to match my height (6'4'').

Then I got an offer from someone to swap bikes, for a '02 RSV1000 Mille. The bike has 6,500 miles. He sent me pictures - looks pristine, and he says maintenance was done.

I'll be doing research on the quirks of each bike - I'm kinda accustomed to quirks (rectifier failing in my 1st gen SV650, having to do a wiring job for a new one).

So, the question is - being someone with a carport living in a good part of a small city, and someone who wants a reliable, and relatively cheap bike, which is better, the Superhawk or the Mille?

Naturally, this forum is biased. I want to see your opinions anyway.

Last edited by bammerburn; 07-28-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
If I could go even up on a Mille I'd probably do it and if it didn't work out I could always sell it and buy a Superhawk and have money left over!

If you're johnny rocket you'll definitely like the mille.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
If you find the Z is too sedate, I would think you will be of the same opinion of the VTR since it's more an all-rounder than a true sporting mount.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
If I could go even up on a Mille I'd probably do it and if it didn't work out I could always sell it and buy a Superhawk and have money left over!
I'd have to agree w/ HRCA. Better suspenders to start from.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Superhawk is a great UJM. Comfy smooth all rounder like mikstr says.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
The Mille is supposed to be very good for larger people - at least that is what the Brits say in their magazines (A full size sports bike). The suspension and brakes are probably better on the Mille. The motor is also more powerful on the Aprilia stock, something like 117-120 rwhp vs Hawk around 100 or so. I would got for the Aprilia. The rotox engine is great. Electronics may be worse.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Both great bike's

Both choices are great bike's... Each one has it's own little fault's.

I big, fan of both model's. I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Yes the Mille is a full size bike, but saying that the Superhawk is a good size also.

The Mille does have a few plus points over the Superhawk.

1/ bigger gas tank. 4.8 gal's.. slighty better fuel mileage (just!)
2/ better brakes and suspension (way better if you find a "R" model)
3/ A little more leg and arm room.
4/ More power & torque.

Don't be afraid of reliability. The rotax motor is a real peach.

The only downside it that in stock form the Mille has a weak charging/starting system. But the good news is it is a very cheap & easy fix.

They have a really good forum.... Most people tend to think that the 1st Gen models are the best? matter of opinion.

Think of the Aprilia as a Italian Honda?

Bad point's? Most shops will not want to work on them? Not a problem for me as I prefer to do all my own maintenance. They are very slow sellers, and like the Superhawk tend to not sell for much? I personally think they are a very underrated bike just like the Superhawk is. Good luck, lets us know which bike you get.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by mikstr
If you find the Z is too sedate, I would think you will be of the same opinion of the VTR since it's more an all-rounder than a true sporting mount.
Here's more of an explanation as to why I'm looking at going for a VTR. I have a 1st gen SV650, which is geared lower, and I love the machine to death. I love how small and narrow it is, along with the furious v-twin character coupled with the carb'd character.

The Z1000 is big & wide, which gives me a feeling of bulkiness that I dislike. I already have a '04 Ninja 636, also geared low, which is smaller. The Z's engine character feels much of the same as the 636, only with more lower-RPM torque - and it doesn't raise the hairs on my back with the same furious top-end hit as the 636. Sedate, boring, polite.

People say that the SV650 is an "all-rounder," but that's why I like it. If I got a Superhawk, I'd also gear it lower (). I want a liter-bike SV650, and I'm not interested in the SV1000. I keep on reading people saying the same things about the VTR1000 as what others say about the SV650. That's the machine I'm interested in.

However, I do like these Tuonos/Milles, too.

Last edited by bammerburn; 07-28-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Superstock

OK, I understand where you are coming from, I tracked and raced a SV650.. Great bikes. Yes the Superhawk is closer to your SV650 than a Mille will be.. I have also done a lot of trackdays on Superhawk's and you can hustle them pretty quickly. I'm a big fan of the Superhawk... The Aprilia is definitely a bigger bike. If you are after a light-ish feeling, fast wheelie machine, then the Superhawk would fit the mark. Just be aware, like your Sv650. Suspension and brake upgrades are a good way to improve the ride.....

Honestly you cannot go wrong with either bike...Only way would be to buy a Tuono!!!!! Now your talking!...best yet get one with all the fancy Ohlins & Brembo brakes, carbon fibre, blah, blah ,blah....OK I'm just boasting now. LOL
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Superstock

OK, I see you found the Aprilia forum.... I honestly don't think you will find to many Superhawk fans over there???....Still, they are a good bunch of guy's. Very helpful should you ever have a problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Squid

I'd definitely go for a Tuono if they were easier to find in my area!

The Superhawk isn't well known, so its "thievability" is lower, from my perception (I value this). But an Aprilia Mille? Not so sure.

But the Superhawk being more akin to the SV650 than the Mille is ... that is definitely influencing my decision. I prefer hooning around on a smaller bike, like a bear thrashing a circus ball, than straddling atop a gigantic rocket.

Last edited by bammerburn; 07-28-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bammerburn
I'd definitely go for a Tuono if they were easier to find in my area!

The Superhawk isn't well known, so its "thievability" is lower, from my perception (I value this). But an Aprilia Mille? Not so sure.

But the Superhawk being more akin to the SV650 than the Mille is ... that is definitely influencing my decision. I prefer hooning around on a smaller bike, like a bear thrashing a circus ball, than straddling atop a gigantic rocket.
It's been said before...

Aprilia Mille:
Bigger, slightly bulkier, a bit heaver, but a really, really good fit for my 6 feet 3, 200 pounds...
More omph and top end, but not really a big hit either...
Better suspension, better brakes by far as stock, feels more planted...
Fi, so easier to tune...
Horrible wiring and charging issues, that really needs addressing...

Superhawk:
Nimble, light, feels small... You won't need to change the clip-ons to fit if you are similar to my size, but you will benefit from getting rear sets...
Horrible suspension unless you are a midget (new springs and a modded F4i shock fixes it...)
Brakes are sub par, but a matching set of calipers and master from whatever CBR will just bolt on...
Just as weak wiring/charging... New R/R and a relay harness for the headlight fixes the main issues, along with going over and cleaning/sealing the connectors...
Prone to CCT failures, either swap in new OEM's, or manual, pronto since you never know how the previous owner treated it...
Carbs are finicky, avoid K&N airfilter and you will have an easier time...

All said and done, I have owned a 01 and an 04 Mille, as well as an 04 Touno... I sold them all after a while, and kept the VTR... Just my take on it...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-29-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Squid

Just rode the Superhawk a bit ago. I'm REALLY liking it. It has the same 'body structure' as my SV650 - narrow, easy to straddle and bounce around between my legs.

It needs lower gearing, though! I can also see that new rearsets are needed. The clip-ons seemed to fit my tall stature fine.

The rough-around-the-edge type is what I'm looking for, in city living. It's not a perfect bike, but that's what I want - a bike that comes with flaws on paper, but can be easily modified to become a stupendous performer. Like the SV.

I used to own a titanium silver '05 Ninja ZX-6R that looked strongly like the Mille aforementioned, and I used to worry all the time about it being stolen. I don't think I'll be doing the same worrying with the more-pedestrian-looking Superhawk.

It has Danmoto conicals on, though, which were a bit too loud for my taste. I think I'll slap the same exhaust as my SV on (14 inch Delkevics).

I'm reading that the '01+ models had tweaks to the front forks. What kind of tweaks were they?

Last edited by bammerburn; 07-29-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
The Mille seems heavy and awkward when you first ride it, but once you get used to it it's so much fun.

The Hawk is more comfortable around town and at slow speeds. I think you'll be happy with either bike...I went from my hawk to an 02 Mille, I've put 10k miles on it so far and still quite happy with it.

Mille vs Hawk

Comfort: Hawk
Power: Mille
Gas mileage and range: Mille (but only slightly, you're looking at 35mpg for the hawk vs 40 for the Mille if you're easy on the throttle)
Cost/availability of parts: Hawk
Reliability: I would say it's a tie here, the Mille has some electrical problems but they're all well documented and easy to sort out

If you want to do track days and/or tear posterior through the canyons the Mille is a better choice, it comes stock at "race" ride height with high pegs that you won't ever scrape and has better suspension and brakes as well.

BTW I did track days on the Hawk...but I redid the suspension ($$$$) and you have to hang way way off the bike or the stock rearsets will scrape....but I do miss the hawk for commuting and heavy traffic, it's super comfortable

Last edited by blamecanada; 07-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Squid

Looks like I'm picking the right bike by going for the Hawk... I love riding in heavy traffic (rush hour is my favorite riding time of the day) so the Hawk, as comfortable as it is, fits me better. Nothing a sprocket change can't do for making power output more instantaneous.

Thanks, everybody for your advice. I will be purchasing the Superhawk in the next few weeks - I'm at the front for this seller since nobody else is biting, and we've built up a good seller-buyer camaraderie. I'm looking forward to doing mods on it during the winter months.