General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

For all the guys who love oil threads.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
For all the guys who love oil threads.....

....or just like to **** with the newbies. I won't point any fingers, but.....I'm tempted.

A little story. My wife's Trailblazer has about 75k miles. A few weeks ago her water pump failed. In the process it also threw the belt. My wife (typical girl) drove it an additional 10 miles (!!!) to my daughter's school. Keep in mind there is only one serpentine belt. So she had no cooling, no alternator, no power steering, and a couple of pretty big hills to climb on the way there. When she called me from the school she said the truck was whistling and was not running right. She thought there may have been something wrong with the right front tire because it was whistling (no, she's not blonde but sometimes it ******* blows my mind). She explained that it didn't steer correctly and that it was running a little hot, and the "Check Gauges" light was on. So I got in my car and hopped over to the school to check it out. I arrived 25 minutes later and when I turned the key to ignition the temperature was STILL maxed out in the red. Needless to say there was very little coolant left. The pump was shot and I had worries of the motor being dead, or at the very least having a warped head.

After changing out the pump (in the school parking lot - yeah) the truck started right up and sounded okay. No loss of power. No odd noises. Phew!!!! Got super lucky that day.

Fast forward 2000 miles and about a month. When the water pump failed the oil had 3000 miles on it. I should have changed the oil right after that but it slipped my mind. Today I go to change the oil. 5305 miles. I notice the oil is pretty black. Go to take off the oil filter and I find that the paint on the oil filter is bubbled up and flaking off. Holy crap! This ****** was HOT!!!

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in the wife's Trailblazer. Testament to Mobil 1. I'm writing them a thank you letter.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
We had an independent motor/oil tester on the vfr boards. He could back his results up to say the least. The oil he used and his recommendation: Mobil1 syn 15-50w.

Since he worked for an independent testing lab facility that did research for all the major manufactures of engines and oil, he's been "silenced" on the net about such things since then.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I don't use Mobil 1 in my cages...yet. But I also don't drive American.

Just messin' Greg. Sorry your wife isn't too good at diagnosing car trouble.

But I got one better - my wife used to think that all-wheel-drive means four wheels turn.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
But I got one better - my wife used to think that all-wheel-drive means four wheels turn.
They do. They turn 'round and 'round, all four of 'em.

Newbie.

p.s. - yeah, Mobil 1 is good chit, but i'm a Ford guy, so I buy the Ford stuff and save a buck/liter. Same stuff, same manufacturer and specs. Gotta convert the bikes now.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Funny guy, eh!

I should have said steer the car. =P
Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
That what I run in the SH $20 a gal at good old Wal-mart.....
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
That is one hilarious story. Ten miles without a water pump and it is running a "little hot"! A 4500 lb. truck with no power steering "didn't steer correctly"! No kiddin'? Whatever could it be? The front tire?

I love women, just don't give them the keys to any of my vehicles.

Greg, I think Exxon-Mobil rates a letter of appreciation. Maybe General Motors/Chevrolet Division as well. Which engine in the Trailblazer, 4.2 or 5.3?

And since this is an oil thread, which M1 15w50? old Red Cap. EP, or the new "non-EP"?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
1995 Chevy S-10 W/ 4.3L V6 - 180K miles on the clock (so far) - Mobil 1 oil everytime

Mobil 1 is a god-like product.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
I'm currently running Rotella in my hawk, next change i'm gonna try out Mobil 1 15w-50.

I just changed from 0w-30 German Castrol in my 240sx to M1 5w-30 EP.
Should be good for more than 8k miles.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
4.2l. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the EP. I don't think it's worth the extra $1 per quart.

Anto, I wouldn't wait 8k miles before a change. I was pushing it at 5k on the truck. The limiting factor is not viscosity breakdown, it's the amount of crap built up in the oil.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
At the first sound of trouble, my sister turns the radio up.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
#1... Hell yeah some of us take jabs at the n00bs.. Joke 'em, if they cant take a ****.. lol.. (i dont see anything wrong with a couple friendly jokes)

#2... Glad to hear you didnt have to buy a new car cause of the incident..
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Had to chime in with my own wife's powers of car trouble recognition:

It's about 1:30 in the morning and we're driving thru Arizona...my wife is asleep in the front seat next to me. I start to notice the headlights are dimming....I look at the voltage meter ('81 280ZX) and sure enough, it's falling. I wake up the wife and tell her I think the alternator went out....she says:
"We've been driving a long time....maybe it's just tired"

I think I was still laughing when we pulled off the highway and the car died in Seligman, AZ.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I like synthetic oils and use them in the bikes - truck is a lease so the regular oil for it - usually at the dealership.

Some of the new GM engines, the 5.3 V8 in my Avalanche is one of them they claim can run up to 50 miles without coolant - don't know if the 4.2 is or not but its good to hear that it survived! I guess they can control the firing order to kill spark a cylinder at a time to alow it to cool...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
4.2l. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the EP. I don't think it's worth the extra $1 per quart.

Anto, I wouldn't wait 8k miles before a change. I was pushing it at 5k on the truck. The limiting factor is not viscosity breakdown, it's the amount of crap built up in the oil.
Greg,
I sent a sample of my oil in for analysis. After 8k, the numbers still look good!

German Castrol was bringing in some good results, but I can't get it locally anymore .
Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Okay...I was once taking a 4 hr or so drive when I was younger with my girlfriend of the time and we were following a map. Asked her how we were going to get home and she said (true story, and she was serious...) "just turn the map upside down."
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
One lesson I learned early with my significant other... Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT let her be the mapreader.... She has absolutely no sense of directions whatever...

She has managed to get lost on her way to my parents house... (This is a true story!) We had at the time been dating about half a year or a bit more and she had been there countless times with me driving and perhaps a dosen times on her own...

This time I get there directly from work, she's supposed to show up coming from work in the opposite direction about the same time... Half an hour later she calls on the cellphone and she's completely lost... As in: "Ok, where are you now....?" "Um... In a small village?!"
There are several "small villages" in about a 20 min radious... and all look somewhat similar...

It took me about an hour to find her (On the bike, not poking around...) as her descriptions could just as easily be any of some three places... and then had her follow me there...

And giving her a map only compounds the problem... Then she will get lost for sure...

In all honesty thoo... If her car has any mechanical problems... She migth not know how to fix them... but she's very good at spotting a problem and getting me to check it instead of driving on...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
oh yeah? Two incidents...same car

Back in 1999 I was about to go oversea and have just sold all my modes of transportation. 750 GSX-r, Acura Integra, 19something firefly (that was one of the best car I ever owned - bought it for $500, did one oil change, $50000 kms later, sold it for $500) and my beloved red Nissan Z32TT. I so missed that car and the easy secks it initiated.

Back to the story. So here I was with no car for the next 2 months so I looked into the trader and found a 199 something hot burgandy dodge shadow coupe. It had two doors, four wheels and the colour was close to red...hey pretty close to my TT. Unfortunately, not even charactered skanks would give me the time of day in that thing. Brought it home for$500 and had it safety. $400 later (oil change, new windshield, 2 tires) I had it running. One day, the oil light come on. I do my typical standard peek and the whole engine bay was full of oil. I ignored it. drove 50 kms home and the next morning to check the oil and none was in it. Obviously. Had to go to Toronto for a bit and so I figure just pour in a gal and way I go. comes back and the oil is gone. WTF? who cares. I am just going to use it till it breaks.

No problems, I drove it for weeks. I even drove it for 250 kms to a friends house where I decided to give him the car since I was going to leave shortly. So I am gone for about 8 months and I come back and the buddy still had the car. I needed a car so I took a train and got to his place and take the car for about a week. The first question to him about the car was did he ever fix the oil issue?

Him: "yeah"
Me: "was it serious?"
Him: "Yeah it cost me $29.95"
Me: "Get the **** out"
Him: "yeah I had an oil change and apparently the oil filter blew up"
Me: "woah"

Then I changed the subject. **** me, I had pored at least $100 of oil in that thing.

So I take the car and on my way back, the temp gauge start climbing. Again, I ignored it until it went passed the red zone. So I turned the thermostat to 'high' and the fan to 'max' to blow the heat out. Nothing but cold air. **** it. I am still pissed from the $70.05 this thing cost me, so I continued all the way home. 250 kms away. Next day out of curiosity I pop the hood and check around. Oil is okay. steering fluid, black..it's okay...brake fluid. I couldn't find that, it must be okay. Then I look at the rad and it's empty. WTF? So I went and got a jug of water and poured it in and the thing just leaked like shitting diarrhea. All these yellow **** flowed out at the bottom. Apparently the plastic drain plug broke. WTF? how does a drain plug break?

I ignored it and 4 days later returned the car to my buddy. I did tell him that on my way back the temperature started to climb. I am not sure why though.
About a year later the thing finally quit on him. He sold it for $50 buck at the scrap yard. I demand that he give me back $20.05. He laughed.

Last edited by calitoz; 11-05-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Squid

Aaron_D is on a distinguished road
I don't think you really need to send Exxon-Mobil a thank you letter. Every time you fill up is thank you enough.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
You know what they say "If it's got **** or Tires it's gonna give you trouble"
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
RK1
MotoGP

No jokes about Mazola, Aunt Jemima Syrup or vaginal lubricants?

What the hell kind of oil thread is this?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I prefer to run straight KY in my new bike, it is smooth as silk!!!

LOL...

Wonder how the Mobil 1 would do in the KLR?? I ran it in the Hawk no questions....
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
RK1
MotoGP

"If it's got **** or tires. it's gonna give you trouble."

I'm not sure if that is a quote from Aristotle or Socrates, but it is the damn truth.

But here's what I want to know;

If kickinchicken is putting the K-Y Jelly in the bike, where the hell is he putting the Mobil 1 15w50?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
We don't want to know I'm sure...