General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Adding a link to a 530 chain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Squid
Squid

superman22x is on a distinguished road
Adding a link to a 530 chain?

Picked up my Superhawk recently. Previous owner bought new front and rear sprockets, and a new chain. However, he bought a 43 tooth sprocket, and the chain isn't long enough to accommodate the added tooth. I'm not sure of the brand of the chain though... Can I just added in any brand master links? Or would that not be a good idea? I don't have a problem running stock size sprockets, I'm new to the whole bike, so I don't need any extra acceleration just yet. I'm just looking for the cheaper yet still safe solution.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
A master link is just the exterior link.. not sure if thats the best way to explain it... a chain has interior links and exterior links alternating...

If you just need the master link, any brand will do as long as its the same size(obviously) and it uses x rings or o rings... i have tried to buy a master link in a pinch from a local harley/cruiser bike shop but most of those bikes dont run any type of rubber o rings therefore the pins are too short...

So if you just need a master link theres what to look for... but if you need more then that, as far as i know, you need to buy a longer chain
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I would never use two master links on one chain on a Superhawk. The monster of torque is just too big for me to feel safe with that. Others may differ and they will chime in if I'm being overly cautious. I would buy a smaller (15) front sprocket and use the chain as it is. I actually did this mod on my bike, cut the new chain one tooth short and instead of buying a new chain I went back to my original gearing (15/41) and have never regretted my decision. Things have changed a lot over the years and a 530 chain is now very safe for a Superhawk because smaller bikes are making such huge power now days. Power is one thing, torque is another. I don't want a questionable link coming apart under my legs. Buy a 15 tooth sprocket for the front or a 42 for the rear and you should be fine.

Last edited by nuhawk; 03-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Good advice from Nuhawk.

I have heard of half links you can use to make a chain 1 tooth longer. Personally I wouldn't be worried about using two links if they were both rivet links.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
You never want to add 2 chains together . If you are replacing a master link that's OK as long as there is only 1 master link.
I have a 9 in stretch on my hawk , it is pretty cheap just to buy a new chain
Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
I have seen multiple master links on drag bikes where they joined two chains to get the needed length. Technically 2 master links are not any weaker than having only one master link. What you are introducing here is doubling the probability of improper master link installation.

Basically custom very short length chain can be purchased for some brands and make, bit you may have to contact the manufacturer directly or go with a non-convetional part supplier like z1 enterprises. Make sure you don't mix and match brands and models of the chain.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Squid
Squid

Looking closer at the back end of the bike, the chain indicator is right on the border of the "new" adjustment range. So I can loosen it up a bit. Maybe the chain stretched just enough in the 200 miles the previous owner put on it that the 43 tooth will fit now. It should be a stock length chain. But I am unsure of the brand, that's why I wasn't sure about adding links.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superman22x
Looking closer at the back end of the bike, the chain indicator is right on the border of the "new" adjustment range. So I can loosen it up a bit. Maybe the chain stretched just enough in the 200 miles the previous owner put on it that the 43 tooth will fit now. It should be a stock length chain. But I am unsure of the brand, that's why I wasn't sure about adding links.
I agree with rick that two master links are no weaker if installed properly.

Are there no markings on the side links of the chain? you may have to look around the entire chain. Usually they will have the brand and the model, if not just the model you can use to look up the brand.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Squid
Squid

I'll take a look at that then. Because as someone mentioned, I will need the inner link to connect an additional link.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
I understand people can do pretty much whatever they put their minds to. ( piecing a chain together)but my guy that has over 25 years experience being a drag bike racer and bike builder says that's a big no no. You can order chain in any amount of link that you need. Just my own opinion.

Here's his website. http://www.mtperformance.net/
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
You could make an entire chain out of master links if you wanted to...

If they were weaker, then they wouldn't be used. Riveted vs clip is just an install type, and doesn't have anything to do with stretch strength. Stretch strength comes from pin and link strength, all of which are the same on a master link as on a standard link.

Most master links fail because of improper installation, or using one that doesn't match/fit the chain properly.

Basically it boils down to this: You can't be right or wrong on the internet. Any 12 year old with no motorcycle can post whatever they want about a motorcycle. My advice would be to go out and try it, because for any given subject you will get at least 2 different opinions, so you have to pick one and try it.

James