General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

98 Super Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 98 Super Hawk

I finally achieved one of my dreams by unloading a "new to me" Super Hawk on Sunday. It's wonderfully maintained and has under 15K. I haven't been on two wheels in a long time so I have many questions. I still have to do the rider edu and get the insurance stuff in place. It appears that the last owner hadn't had the bike inspected since 04. I'm in Texas - what's this inspection all about? Thanks!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
PICTURES!!!

Congrats on the pickup.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 PM
MotoGP

Definitely Pix!

Before I did this job I was a pro photographer did some cinema too. I'm definitely going to get her in a sweet spot someplace with the sun just right and take a lot of shots.:grin:
Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

I can't wait! I could use some pointers on shooting angles and the like. Most of my bike pictures are shot from straight on...usually even directly into the light.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
MotoGP

Lighting

Try shooting some pix on a bright but overcast day. Digital cams have a bad habit of being too contrasty - the shadows go to black and the highlights flare out. Try it - you might like the results.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

I plan on picking up a DSLR soon, but I'd still just be using it like a point and shoot. Need to learn how to play with the settings.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
The inspection in texas basicly cheaks that all the major stuff is working. brakes, lights, horn, mirror(you only have to have one), and tires are all in good shape. you have to have insurance before you get it inspected. cost 12.95 everywhere might be a dollor more since it's been so long but thats the state mandated price

Welcome to austin
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Will have to make note of this, New York actually has a cheap price for something, its only $6 for a cycle inspection... They make up for it in registration fees, license fees, taxes, etc though

Originally Posted by gssbmm
The inspection in texas basicly cheaks that all the major stuff is working. brakes, lights, horn, mirror(you only have to have one), and tires are all in good shape. you have to have insurance before you get it inspected. cost 12.95 everywhere might be a dollor more since it's been so long but thats the state mandated price

Welcome to austin
Old 09-12-2006, 08:42 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gssbmm

Welcome to austin
Inspection?? Insurance??? Who needs it, move to Floriduh.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
MotoGP

Inspection

Thanks for the input, gssbmm! I wasn't quite sure of what this entailed. Thanks, again!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind you have to get the inspection before the state (the county actually) will issue a plate. Luckily the inspection doesn't entail emissions.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Get it inspected and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Do they give you a temporary "plate" to use so you can ride to the inspection station? In NY you can register your bike with just a permit and an insurance card - they issue a plate right away and a 10 day temporary inspection sticker. Sounds like every state does thing differently...

Originally Posted by 3D02
Keep in mind you have to get the inspection before the state (the county actually) will issue a plate. Luckily the inspection doesn't entail emissions.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
no they expect you to telaport the bike to the inspection station with you space ship. don't you have one, I thought everybody got those? lol
Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
MotoGP

gssbmm!

ROFLMAO - telaport - that's great! I can trailer it up and take to the guys that do the rest of my stuff. They're real close by so no big. I just wanted to make sure some moron was not going to be driving my bike around like they do the cars and trucks. And BTW, I would like to thank all of you for the warm welcome!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
For the inspection, you can just take it to a Jiffy Lube. They will check the lights, slap on a new sticker and charge you 12.50
Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
MotoGP

Thanks, Tim! I'm going to call the insurance co yet tonight to get those ducks in order. Then I will haul it over and have them do their thing. I can't wait to ride but I really want to do the driving course just to brush up a bit. I lost two friends on the road in the same summer several years ago and sold my street bike right after. I rode dirt and trials until I was almost thirty then I broke my ankle in a construction accident and didn't walk for a year. I sold my last bike while I was still in a cast. Haven't been on two wheels since but I really can't wait. I polished it's wheel today. Lots of brake dust. While I'm waiting on all this paper bull I'm going to really get her cleaned up to best possible condition. The bike is almost completely stock except for a jet kit.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

Hit & Run for Free!

The insurance stuff is in place. Neat thing is that if somebody mows her over in a parking lot and runs she'll be covered for up to $4200 and it didn't cost me a dime extra. Way coool!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Austin huh.. Well I'm just up here in Killeen, so once you get road ready, give a yell we'll go ride the Super Chickens someplace
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 AM
MotoGP

Cool Super! I have had my Prelude up through that area and there's some nice riding around Killeen. I definitely give you a holler! Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Do they give you a temporary "plate" to use so you can ride to the inspection station?
I don't know what TX does for temp. plates. I went to Arizona for my SH. They issued me a 90 day temp tag and converted the title into my name. The cost was minimal and I was able to ride there and was able to ride it to get the worthless TX inspection.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 PM
MotoGP

Plates

I have to get it inspected first before I can get plates. I'll tow it over to the inspection station and then all I have to do is show up at the tax office with my paper doc's and they issue the new plate. Something that is rather peculiar in Texas is that they don't ask for any documentation as to the sales price when collecting the applicable sales tax. Therefore everybody that shows up after buying a $10k vehicle claims that the vehicle was wrecked and will require extensive repairs and is only worth $750. The clerks know that everybody is lying but they could give a **** as long as their dental insurance is still good. So they rubber stamp the forms collect the sales tax on the amount claimed and everybody goes to the house happy. Go figure!