General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

98 hawk tapping noise-rear cly--cct?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Squid

sunshinehawk74 is on a distinguished road
98 hawk tapping noise-rear cly--cct?

Hello I just purchased a very clean 10k mile hawk and love it.Well love with no performance mods. What has me concerened is a tapping sound comming from the rear cyl at low rpm.This just started to get worse after the last 20miles. The bike runs/ran perfect its just that I have noticed that the last time i had it out it backfired once and stalled when comming to a stop. I suspect the cct has failed. Is the back fire due to the timming being out? The bike started and ran fine after that. I do not believe this bike was ever abused. I do not want to damage it so I am not running it untill my ape manual cct arrive.After reading about hondas and there cct trouble I will replace the cct on principle. Does this sound like my timming is only off a little? How can I tell if major damage has been done?what do you think? thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
If you have cct's on order, wait and when you install them you can visually check cam timing.

Do a little searching, all the answers have been covered numerous times.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sunshinehawk74
Hello I just purchased a very clean 10k mile hawk and love it.Well love with no performance mods. What has me concerened is a tapping sound comming from the rear cyl at low rpm.This just started to get worse after the last 20miles. The bike runs/ran perfect its just that I have noticed that the last time i had it out it backfired once and stalled when comming to a stop. I suspect the cct has failed. Is the back fire due to the timming being out? The bike started and ran fine after that. I do not believe this bike was ever abused. I do not want to damage it so I am not running it untill my ape manual cct arrive.After reading about hondas and there cct trouble I will replace the cct on principle. Does this sound like my timming is only off a little? How can I tell if major damage has been done?what do you think? thanks
It does seem to be the case. I picked up a Hawk couple months ago and immediately ordered Kriegers. Make a few changes and you will love the bike. Comfy, smooth, torqey, decent mpgs, decent range, nimble, narrow, digs like a bat outta hell powering out of corners, middle of the road styling that will look good for years, its a Honda!

Last edited by jerryh; 06-25-2013 at 05:35 PM.