Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

tapping noise after ignition pulse generator install

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Squid

peterdamian2000 is on a distinguished road
tapping noise after ignition pulse generator install

Hey there guys...

Can anyone help me with this? I had installed a 4 degree advance ignition advancer back in 2001 on my 2000 hawk. I recently wanted to change back to the factory ign pulse generator and attempted the replacement. Did the 4 degree one myself, so felt confident doing this one. Got it all back together and on start up, there is a slight tapping noise I know wasn't there previous. Confirmed with a friend's hawk.
Anyway, is there anyone out there in the forum that has encountered this problem after an ign pulse generator install and what it may be? Obviously I'm gonna take back apart and see what the deal is and even change back to the 4 degree generator.

I was changing it because I contributed the idle quality and backfiring through carbs & stalling out condition I've had (since i put the 4 degree one in) to that advancer. Bought a new one through ebay and said it was for a vtr and stock timing. In fact, it came in a package with Honda part number on it. Looked official. Seems to me that i got a wrong one, although it looked pretty similar.

Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced this.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Never encountered this problem myself, but it may be beneficial to cross check the part # to verify you have the correct one.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Squid

peterdamian2000 is on a distinguished road
hey there poppazuti...

sorry for the late response and thank you. i did some searchin around in here and came across some posted videos with sound that i'm hearing and yea...it's my paranoia. and just so you know, i DID already go back to the 4 degree generator and the noise was still there. why the hell do these things have to be so damn clunky and noisey. oh well. i will attempt the pair system removal now with the 4 degree advance generator and see if the idle improves. my main issue with even attempting this in the first place was to stop it from popping through the carbs and stalling the bike on decell or at traffic light.

thanks again, man.