General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

625 mile day: New Personal Best

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
625 mile day: New Personal Best

Although I've racked up slightly more miles than this on a VFR before, today I tallied 625 on my SuperHawk!

It should have been more but I was riding in a group that had several smokers who can make any stop a lot longer. Anyway, we rode up to the Texas Hill country which is a 400 mile round trip in itself and while there put in a couple of hundred more serious twisties but like I said we stopped too much as the total trip took nearly 12 hours.

I recently switched out my VFR bars for a superbike bar setup. Height is a tad more but also more back. Combine those with a db screen, throttle lock, corbin seat, and lowered footpegs to round out the ergos also bicycle shorts and a camel back greatly help out too. It's a great setup with mild buffeting starting after about 110mph or so. Butt burn set in after about 10 1/2 hours with a little knee stiffness too but my upper body and neck feel tired but fine.

My diablo which I installed in April is toast (sigh). Mileage is unkown at the moment as I'll have to dig up my records but I'm pretty sure it's under 4k.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
that's quite a ride. My *** gets sore after about 4 hours (stock seat) if I recall, and that's with padded cycling shorts underneath!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 625 mile day: New Personal Best

my elbows are the first to fall but thats after riding all day
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend

I spent 11 hrs searching for new twisties on Memorial Day - I took two 30 min breaks and didn't feel the pain until after 9 hrs. The knees definitely started to seize up first. Corbin saddle definitely helps. As did the unbelievably empty mountain roads. I'm not sure how many miles somewhere around 400. What a fantastic all around bike!! But you knew that!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Squid

v2weapon

Doug, you're gonna have to switch to sport-touring tires if you plan on doing IronButt runs like that. I'm having Dunlop D220s put on my rims as soon as they come back from the paint shop, for just that reason. The Diablos are great out of the gate, but not much for stamina.

I think what you're doing is slowly transforming your VTR into a Pacific Coast. <wink> Now all you need are some huge hard bags, a six speaker stereo system, and a vanity plate that says "GEEZR"

I've heard that, with a barn-door fairing and some chrome-studded leather saddlebags, a VTX1800 is VERY comfortable for 1000 mile days. The handlebars are already at chest-level, the footpegs are already lowered and moved forward, and it comes stock with a huge fuel tank, no need to change it. And all the VTX riders I know tell me that the thing is WICKED FAST!! Just a thought...maybe save yourself some fabrication time in the future. <jab>

BTW, for anybody who doesn't get sarcasm, I'm joking. Sounds like a good day of riding, Doug. This is why we love the Superhawk.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

I actually considered a PC800 back when I was commuting around 600 miles a week. At least I'd be riding a "motorcycle" right?

Bloke,

400 twisty mountain miles is a RIDE! Good for you! (insert wheelie emoticon here) I've done 350+ like that and I was one tired puppy but no butt burn that way! woo-hoo!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Pirelli now has the Diablo Strada EMS which supposedly has the grip of the old Diablo with better durability and warm up time - check out July's Cycle World.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by v2weapon";p=&quot
Doug, you're gonna have to switch to sport-touring tires if you plan on doing IronButt runs like that. I'm having Dunlop D220s put on my rims as soon as they come back from the paint shop, for just that reason. The Diablos are great out of the gate, but not much for stamina.
Yeah, I've used a 220 before on a VFR and it works well with good traction but it wears incredibly quick after you hit the wear bars. I got about 4500 miles out of a rear 220.

I think I'll try that new strada rear with a corsa front next.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Squid

v2weapon

If you'd stop riding like Gary McCoy they might last longer. :wink:

When I turned 16 my mother made me write "I will not ride sideways on the street." a thousand times. I still can't watch dirt track racing without getting a cramp in my hand. Very strange...