Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Matt_Hawk is on a distinguished road
2004 VTR & 2005 FZ1 ride impression

Nice to day for a ride again today-

67 degrees
Clear

I bumped into a rider who recently purchased a Yamaha FZ1. It's the last of the Gen 1 Carbed bikes.
We switched for a while through the Coast Range Hills.

Engines are the same size but the bikes are Completely different:

There are Pros/Cons to each one. We both agreed on the following:

Power:
The Yamaha is faster overall- given the whole power band to play in...however-

FZ1- All the power is up top. I could pin the throttle and would have to wait for the RPM's to increase before it hits. Then it takes off hard and things pass by quickly.

VTR- Power everywhere in a linear fashion. No big hit up top. If you pin the throttle off idle it takes off faster initially than the FZ1 and goes airborne in 1st and 2nd. Felt raw and less polished.

Ride Quality:
FZ1- It's very "cruiser-esque" for lack of a better word when compared to the Hawk. The wheelbase is long and the suspension is good with a soft seat. It really absorbs all the bumps and the motor is quiet and sewing machine SMOOTH...very smooth carbs. The feedback from the road is very muted. Position is really upright compared to the VTR. Handles well.

VTR- Feels closer to a sport bike. More leaned forward and short wheelbase make it feel more sporty. You feel more bumps. Sound and engine vibration with road texture is there all the time. Handles well.

Cornering:
FZ1- Takes some nudging and feels a tad more top heavy. Less corner feedback. Less agility. More stable through corners more noticeable on faster ones. Front end feels "longer". I wanted to suck my body down over the wheel more. Bike is less upset than VTR when things get rough.

VTR- Feels like it's smaller. Tip in is great. Corner speed is higher at times. Suspension IS harsher over bumps mid corner. Less forgiving if you make errors. More sensitive to inputs.

Conclusion:
We both agreed that-

On a longer trip the FZ1 is way better. It's like sewing machine smooth with the I4 motor and long wheelbase upright posture and soft seat. I could have ridden that bike all day long.

On a shorter ride, the VTR won it. The short wheels, vibration and bike character has a tremendous amount of soul that's fun. The bike "hits" right off idle which was a real gas to him.

I should note that while I was behind my VTR, I watched him slide the back end twice on downhill corner entries from straights. I thought he was too hard on the rear brake. Nope. He had been downshifting from high rpm with a closed throttle. The back torque stepped the rear end. I do that sometimes too and remain in total control just as he did... but- it sure looks hairball from a spectators point of view. The FZ1 brakes were better.

FZ1- 40 mpg
VTR- 35 mpg

If you are looking for SMOOTH comfort and more practicality get an FZ1.
If you are looking for more SOUL go with the VTR.

Both bikes were good in different ways.
We agreed that it's best to have a quiver of motorcycles to choose from.

As for me, I will never get an I4 motor unless I am into cross country stuff as I love power down low below jail speeds.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 VTR & 2005 FZ1 ride impression-buddies.jpg   2004 VTR & 2005 FZ1 ride impression-avila_pier.jpg  

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 12-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Nice write up and comparison. I switched with a friend who has the Kawasaki Z1, very similar to the FZ1, we found the same thing you did.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I had the pleasure of riding a FZ1 for about a half a day around town. To the bank, out to a customer's to look things over, some freeway, some in towns.

I think it was a 08 or so because it was fi. It will be the bike that I ride after I hang it up on the VTR. It's hugely agile, hugely powerful and yes, down low - digs out of a corner just like our bikes. The suspension for a stock bike is awesome. Great balance, great cornering, very smooth power band makes for comfortable but aggressive handling. Stance is a little taller than my Superhawk with Heli's but the lack of vibration is very noticable. This bike runs like a sewing machine.

Superhawks have come a long way in ten years. This is it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
Matt, Ditto on most all you noted on your bike comparison. I also have a 2002 FZ1 and enjoy the ride much better on the highway especially. Mine has been jetted, has a K&N air filter, D&D pipe and 3 degree timing advance. They are really nice bikes! The brakes are some of the best stock brakes of any bike I've ever ridden. The other bikes in the quiver are a 2004 1200 Sportster (jetted and piped) and currently working on a 1984 Honda VF750 Interceptor project, to be done by springtime. It was 42 degrees and a bit moist out today but was a great afternoon/evening to ride the FZ1, it handles the weather very well with Dunlops on it. Hope you got the air filter by now, let me know if you haven't, Scott
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You and your friend, need to learn to "rev match", before you lose it on one of those downshifts in corners.

And just why was your friend "downshifting from high rpm"?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
You and your friend, need to learn to "rev match", before you lose it on one of those downshifts in corners.

And just why was your friend "downshifting from high rpm"?
Yes really. I usually blip it unless I'm lazy. Never ridden a slipper unit yet.

Another thing I noticed is engine braking on the FZ was very little compared to mine. Goes to figure. No wonder why all these CCT failures happen on these Hawks. What a huge load on them.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Matt_Hawk
Another thing I noticed is engine braking on the FZ was very little compared to mine. Goes to figure. No wonder why all these CCT failures happen on these Hawks. What a huge load on them.
That's where the rev matching comes in. It reduces the load by bring engine speed up to transmission speed.

I can do a whole canyon run without touching the brake, if I know the road well. I like to punch it hard out of corners, but I usually don't take it up to 100 mph in the straights, might be a CHP or Sheriff coming around the corner ahead.

I got nailed that way in Palos Verdes last year, "vehicle to vehicle radar". I punched it in 2nd coming out of a corner, and there he was coming down the hill. 66 in a 35. That cost me $475, and no traffic school allowed, plus insurance went up a notch this year.

Yeah, the engine braking of the Hawk is great.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
One of the things I enjoyed doing was "backing-in" the VTR. Actually, not quite Supermoto style but having the spinning rear wheel leave a nice black strip as I gently dropped it down from 4th to 2nd.

But with the clip on style bars it made it dangerous. Wide dirt-bike style bars would make it so easy. On my current bike, it has the dirt-bike bars and "backing" it in is addicting.

Miguel
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
I had the same oppurtunity a few years back. Good friend on mine who has his own bike shop & I were on a three day bike ride. We traded off for awhile thru the northwest Arkansas mountains. I can sum it up as BORING. The FZ1 was just too smooth. Thru the years I've owned several I-4's, but since buying my 01 SH in 02 I don't think I'll ever be happy with another I-4.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Has there been any timing chains snapped on the VTR's ?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
My brother rides a 1st gen FZ1. It was a good bike until he re-sprung it with correct springs for his weight on both ends, now it is a fantastic bike. After riding it in October I came home and upgraded my brakes and will do fork springs as soon as I can. After the upgrade, there was nothing my SH did as well as his FZ1.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:28 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Has there been any timing chains snapped on the VTR's ?
Not without a major CCT failure to cause it.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nuhawk
after I hang it up on the VTR.
Hold it, STOP the press. Did I read that right???
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Originally Posted by davidka
My brother rides a 1st gen FZ1. It was a good bike until he re-sprung it with correct springs for his weight on both ends, now it is a fantastic bike. After riding it in October I came home and upgraded my brakes and will do fork springs as soon as I can. After the upgrade, there was nothing my SH did as well as his FZ1.
...except for the VTR will out pull the FZ1 all day long from 3k to 7k.

I am shifting about the same time his power is just coming on.

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 12-18-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
...except for the VTR will out pull the FZ1 all day long from 3k to 7k.

I am shifting about the same time his power is just coming on.
What's the point of that statement? You can out pull a 600 in that rev range too, it's not going to prevent you getting pulled by the other bike when it's run in it's correct rev range. Besides, having ridden the FZ a number of times, I doubt the SH has anything on it above 5k. It is a VERY strong engine.

Edit: I'm sorry, this reads more harshly than I intended. I know the FZ1 is faster than my SH and I don't care. I like the character of the SH, just like everyone here.

Last edited by davidka; 12-19-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
It is a VERY strong engine.
True Dat. About 40 more HP and with more torque than the VTR.... it's tuned for midrange power and street riding, not high RPM racing like the R1 that it came from...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
One need remember that the first generation FZ1`s (carbureted) engine is derived frm the original "long stroke" 98 R1 engine while the second-gen FZ1`s engine is derived from the short-stroke fuel injected 2004 R1 mill. They are both I4s, have five-valve heads and derived from supersports, but that is where the similarities end. Although my only expsore to an FZ1 was short ride on a Gen II, the tests I read clearly mention that the later edition was peakier while also having higher peak number (hp anyhow, not sure about the torque).
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
hehe yeah I don't think I will be all sour grapes because my bike designed in the 90s doesn't have the power of a bike using a 2004-derived engine with two more cylinders...
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

The point is our Hawks make great torque down low.
We can use the PULL for short bursts during commuting and feel the rush of speed.

I rode the Gen 1 FZ. To have that one pull the same, you need to be at higher speed= ticket time.
Simple.

The Gen 2 may be different. The FZ series does so many things very well and much better than our bikes- which is why it out sold the Hawk a thousand to one when it was released.
However, these old Hawks have a character the FZ can't deliver.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I should note that while I was behind my VTR, I watched him slide the back end twice on downhill corner entries from straights. I thought he was too hard on the rear brake. Nope. He had been downshifting from high rpm with a closed throttle. The back torque stepped the rear end. I do that sometimes too and remain in total control just as he did... but- it sure looks hairball from a spectators point of view. The FZ1 brakes were better.
And folks wonder why they explode CCTs.....

This is also the reason why you need to replace them on any, new to you, SH as the last person who owned might have done this type of thing.

Slamming downshifts, with the throttle closed, is not only bad form it is also very hard on the drive train.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
One need remember that the first generation FZ1`s (carbureted) engine is derived frm the original "long stroke" 98 R1 engine while the second-gen FZ1`s engine is derived from the short-stroke fuel injected 2004 R1 mill. They are both I4s, have five-valve heads and derived from supersports, but that is where the similarities end. Although my only expsore to an FZ1 was short ride on a Gen II, the tests I read clearly mention that the later edition was peakier while also having higher peak number (hp anyhow, not sure about the torque).
Now if they would get around to installing a cross-plane crankshaft, they would have a real winner....
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Slamming downshifts, with the throttle closed, is not only bad form it is also very hard on the drive train.
I'm sure that rev matching is a reason why my OEM chain lasted 41,629 miles, and still wasn't stretched into the "replace" zone on the swingarm.

It certainly wasn't my chain maintenance skills... wipe it off with an old sock, then spray on lube. It had a number of tight links when I replaced it. I'm taking better care of my replacement chain though.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I'm sure that rev matching is a reason why my OEM chain lasted 41,629 miles, and still wasn't stretched into the "replace" zone on the swingarm.

It certainly wasn't my chain maintenance skills... wipe it off with an old sock, then spray on lube. It had a number of tight links when I replaced it. I'm taking better care of my replacement chain though.

Wow....that's a long time on a chain.

My 2008 Triumph Speed Triples 530 chain went 17,000 and I thought that was long. That is an awesome bike by the way....if you get a chance I recommend it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Wow....that's a long time on a chain.

My 2008 Triumph Speed Triples 530 chain went 17,000 and I thought that was long. That is an awesome bike by the way....if you get a chance I recommend it.
Well I normally get around 15K or so out of a 520 w\Al rear sprocket (a good hard anodized one).....

Keep the chain clean, ride smooth and you would be surprised how long the chains and sprockets last on this bike, when normally twins tear them up... Name:  idunno.gif
Views: 514
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Wild Man
Back Marker

It's the ride smooth part that saves it.

I use that Bel Ray chain lube every 300 miles. Takes like 2 minutes.
Then every thousand miles I clean with kerosene.
That stuff works really well and dries in a white film...so you can see where you've put it.