160 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 160 mph?

My bike when it was stock had a top speed of 135mph. I did a 45 minuite commute every morning at 5am. I would shift into 6th and just hold it. 135 and it would hold. This was verified day after day for months on my commute to work. 130mph if I had my backpack on. This was on a huge flat stretch called floridas expressways.
Again this was with stock everything.

Another point with carbs they cant do a fuel cut off - not the way these are set up. However they can retard the ignition or advance it. That would be easy to do the way the bike is set up.

I am amazed at the amount of people that have had there bike into red line. D you understand what the red line is there for? Its a warning sign, there is a safety margine put in, but it is only a few hundred rpm's.

At redline the motor is starting to pull itself apart, because of the forces that it is put under. For the simple fokes here - If you go into redline, you help the motor destroy it'sself. Think about it.

My last comment
Originally Posted by bryantmvtr";p=&quot
156 is pretty damn slow... especially when the analog speedo goes to 180!
You do realize that if the speedo on a bike says 250mph that doesnt mean that the bike can go that fast. There are factors that come into play - power - weight - drag- gearing - physics etc...
Old 08-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Man.. this thread brought some varying stories....

Again.. the other day... crusing the opern freeway....

hit 150 with throttle left and only around 8500 on the tach.... lots of pulls left.... hmmmm

16/41 is what Im running...

This is a flat stretch... no incline/decline and im tucked...

Im not trying to start arguments here... but its interesting to see the varying tales of the tape from all here....

Keep them coming....

no fuel shut off... cant with carbs... only FI can do that....

rev limiter just cuts off the voltage to fire the plugs...hence wont let you progress ... thats the way I remember things.. could be different on the SH's... havent really dove into that....yet
Old 08-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Squid

bryantmvtr

god damn it. i'm not an idiot, divingindaytona. dont try to act like your a damn physics major or some ****. all i was saying is why does the speedo go up to 180, when honda knew the bike only did 156 (apparantly). why cant they get a speedo that goes to 160, and accurately tells you your speed?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

bryantmvtr
- looks like you missed the sarcasm in the comment I made.

I never clamed to be a physics major, or wanted to be one. I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up.

Disclamer - this applys to cars -
There isnt a speedo standard, there is no goverment body telling the car manufactures what 60mph is or what 80mph is. They leave it up to the manufactures. So there are a few variations.

One manufacturer may set the speedo to be dead on at 60mph others at 65mph. As speed goes up the error in analog speedos goes up. That may be why they dont
Originally Posted by bryantmvtr";p=&quot
get a speedo that goes to 160, and accurately tells you your speed?
Car manufacturers spedos are optomistic because they know that is how some people guage the car. Wow your camaro says it goes to 160mph - that is so cool........ They generaly put in speedos that are 20mph over what the vehicle will do.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike

That's a cheer greybeard! I havn't checked my speedo but it does seem to read high or all the cages speed up everytime I'm on my SH.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Squid

AbeFM
So then could we get, make, or have made a replacement guage face that properly reflects the speed of the bike? It'd seem an easy way to calibrate it!

My buddy strapped a quality bicycle speedometer on his Bandit1200 and said it was just great, even gave him back top speed and such. I'd hate to have to resort to THAT though.

So, are there any aftermarket, 160 mph guages that have a corrected sweep?
________
******* AMATEUR

Last edited by AbeFM; 03-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

All analog gages will be off at XXX speed. As the speed goes up so does the error (speaking generaly here) That is the nature of the beast.

Digital gages are much more accurate. You could use GPS or AbeFM elluded to using a bike computer, sigmas seem to be farily popular. Other than that I am out of ideas.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Squid

AbeFM
Seriously? They just can't make a good guage? I so don't buy it - though I might buy that they don't want to. :-)

The guage is a pulse counter, right? Not like the old style twisting cables or anything?

I should just get some digital ones, my guages are a little scratched anyways.
________
Mercury Voyager

Last edited by AbeFM; 03-17-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Squid

Mithrandir
GPS's are good for watching mostly average speeds (typically running 3 second average). Just got back from my last trip and the GPS reads a max speed of 143 mph. NFI where I did it either! Normally I know when I'm speeding that fast. Must have been one of those hored hard accelerations out of one of the I-5 rest areas :P