Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Why I tend to stay away from Mulholland Hwy

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Why I tend to stay away from Mulholland Hwy

or the Rock Store...... The squids are running hard this year......
The sad part is they make us all look bad.......

Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I saw that on some of the cycling sites... and yes, you nailed it. Does not make it hard for people to jump to conclusions about the motorcycle community in general. If anyone is more defensive and egotistical about their road rights and complain about idiot cagers than motorcyclists, it's bicyclists.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
it's still fun to ride there

poor SV
Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Target Fixation .. Boys and girls just say no to Target Fixation ..mkayyyy
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Back Marker

2whltuner is on a distinguished road
our tv station out here in Phoenix stated this happened on Ortega, when I lived back in Costa Mesa I would ride Ortega most Sat/Sun and always saw and gave respect to the bicyclists (as I was one once a upon a time) sorry to have seen this happen, regardless, Muholland, Ortega or Palomar, I'm sure the CHP are patrolling with vigilance after this event.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Pitiful riding. He wasn't going fast and he wasn't even leaned over.

This could have turned out much worse.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Pitiful riding. He wasn't going fast and he wasn't even leaned over.

This could have turned out much worse.
My reaction exactly... Target fixation aside, there was twice the space needed on either side of the cyclist to veer away, and come to a stop safely... Or just tip it into the corner and pass without incident... Newbie mistake by an obviously inexperienced rider...

If I went around here at 25, possibly 35, hitting every cyclist I came up behind, corner or no corner, I'd be stoned, justifiably so...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
As much as this video makes us look bad, here's one that makes us look smart.....some days that is.

100 %
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Re Mullholland HWY, arrive and leave early to avoid the squids and the cops.
I enjoy riding that stretch, but only early in the morning. I'm usually home by noon, which is when the squids come out.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Both those vids are shocking.

(:-})
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kai ju
Re Mullholland HWY, arrive and leave early to avoid the squids and the cops.
I enjoy riding that stretch, but only early in the morning. I'm usually home by noon, which is when the squids come out.

That's what I try to do when I ride out there

Though I would rather ride Piuma myself
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
If anyone is more defensive and egotistical about their road rights and complain about idiot cagers than motorcyclists, it's bicyclists.
We all have the same rights on the road, beginning with the expectation that everyone else is at least competent enough to not hit large objects with their vehicles. I ride both. The last close call I had with a motorist I was on my motorcycle. I probably ride ~5x the hours on my bicycle that I do on the moto.

Originally Posted by Tweety
Target fixation aside, there was twice the space needed on either side of the cyclist to veer away, and come to a stop safely... Or just tip it into the corner and pass without incident... Newbie mistake by an obviously inexperienced rider...
The cyclist was as far to the right as he could be. There is no shoulder over the white line there. Glad everyone walked away from this. I'm sure the moto rider feels pretty awful about what happened. It was a dumb way to have a crash.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got say that 1st video made me laugh - 2 for 1

LOL

But I hope the biker was ok

asshats in both videos

I've ridden Mulholland & Angeles Crest & yes like most popular riding roads in this country - earlier the better.

I was pulled over on MH by a CHiPs a long time ago @ about 9am on a Sunday morning - I was on a rented HD and he said the pipes are too loud (he pulled me for speeding). I told him its not mine but a rental - he still ranted. I pulled out a LEO badge & DTR I went

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 05-03-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by davidka

The cyclist was as far to the right as he could be. There is no shoulder over the white line there. Glad everyone walked away from this. I'm sure the moto rider feels pretty awful about what happened. It was a dumb way to have a crash.
Looked that way to me too.

Still, there is no excuse for pitiful riding like that that could have gotten someone killed. Now he has a crystal clear, high definition reminder of just how bad a rider he is.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
We all have the same rights on the road, beginning with the expectation that everyone else is at least competent enough to not hit large objects with their vehicles. I ride both. The last close call I had with a motorist I was on my motorcycle. I probably ride ~5x the hours on my bicycle that I do on the moto.
Oh I know, and those cyclists have every right to be very pissed (and lucky to be relatively uninjured). I work in the cycling industry... all I ways saying is that some of the nutcases here are the "angry at the world" types that thinks all cars should burn or be limited to freeways. This incident only supports their case.

I think that's what Tweety is saying... the cyclists are giving the motorcyclist more than enough room to pass... they weren't exactly taking up the whole road.

It seems that there was a second on-the-bike video from the guy following this rider that is not public as it may be used in court. Super reliable (ha!) internet discussions are suggesting that it has video of camera flashes that the motorcyclist might be claiming as a distraction (he turned his head in the direction of the camera). I guess the video was up for a day before it was pulled.

My initial take is to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and he may be using it to limit the potentially huge costs of this incident, depending on if the cyclists sue for more than just physical damages (even then, those bikes are worth more than his moto). Even if he knows he's wrong, the way our court happy culture is set up he'd have to protect himself. But that's just speculation. He could be a genuinely naive rider who thinks that a camera flash is a legitimate reason for crashing.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM
SuperBike

He's a squid.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well as one of the list members that has and does ride that road and that corner, I will say there was no reason for that guy to be anywhere close to those bikes at the speed he was going.

It's not a hard corner but some folks first get freaked out at the view behind the guard rail......just open sky and it's a ways down if you blow it there..... Then they forget to finish the corner....just like this guy.... Watch where he starts to stand the bike up.....if he would have just held his lean angle for a little longer.....no issues.

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 05-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.