SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Why I tend to stay away from Mulholland Hwy (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/why-i-tend-stay-away-mulholland-hwy-30305/)

8541Hawk 05-01-2013 01:30 PM

Why I tend to stay away from Mulholland Hwy

or the Rock Store...... The squids are running hard this year......
The sad part is they make us all look bad.......

7moore7 05-01-2013 02:29 PM

I saw that on some of the cycling sites... and yes, you nailed it. Does not make it hard for people to jump to conclusions about the motorcycle community in general. If anyone is more defensive and egotistical about their road rights and complain about idiot cagers than motorcyclists, it's bicyclists.

blamecanada 05-01-2013 03:07 PM

it's still fun to ride there :)

poor SV :(

E.Marquez 05-01-2013 05:07 PM

Target Fixation .. Boys and girls just say no to Target Fixation ..mkayyyy

2whltuner 05-01-2013 08:13 PM

our tv station out here in Phoenix stated this happened on Ortega, when I lived back in Costa Mesa I would ride Ortega most Sat/Sun and always saw and gave respect to the bicyclists (as I was one once a upon a time) sorry to have seen this happen, regardless, Muholland, Ortega or Palomar, I'm sure the CHP are patrolling with vigilance after this event.

killer5280 05-02-2013 07:04 AM

Pitiful riding. He wasn't going fast and he wasn't even leaned over.

This could have turned out much worse.

Tweety 05-02-2013 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 354104)
Pitiful riding. He wasn't going fast and he wasn't even leaned over.

This could have turned out much worse.

My reaction exactly... Target fixation aside, there was twice the space needed on either side of the cyclist to veer away, and come to a stop safely... Or just tip it into the corner and pass without incident... Newbie mistake by an obviously inexperienced rider...

If I went around here at 25, possibly 35, hitting every cyclist I came up behind, corner or no corner, I'd be stoned, justifiably so...

Jack Flash 05-02-2013 11:11 AM

As much as this video makes us look bad, here's one that makes us look smart.....some days that is.

100 %

kai ju 05-02-2013 11:36 AM

Re Mullholland HWY, arrive and leave early to avoid the squids and the cops.
I enjoy riding that stretch, but only early in the morning. I'm usually home by noon, which is when the squids come out.

cybercarl 05-02-2013 02:35 PM

Both those vids are shocking. :eek:

(:-})

8541Hawk 05-02-2013 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by kai ju (Post 354118)
Re Mullholland HWY, arrive and leave early to avoid the squids and the cops.
I enjoy riding that stretch, but only early in the morning. I'm usually home by noon, which is when the squids come out.

That's what I try to do when I ride out there :thumbsup:

Though I would rather ride Piuma myself ;)

davidka 05-02-2013 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 354051)
If anyone is more defensive and egotistical about their road rights and complain about idiot cagers than motorcyclists, it's bicyclists.

We all have the same rights on the road, beginning with the expectation that everyone else is at least competent enough to not hit large objects with their vehicles. I ride both. The last close call I had with a motorist I was on my motorcycle. I probably ride ~5x the hours on my bicycle that I do on the moto.

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 354109)
Target fixation aside, there was twice the space needed on either side of the cyclist to veer away, and come to a stop safely... Or just tip it into the corner and pass without incident... Newbie mistake by an obviously inexperienced rider...

The cyclist was as far to the right as he could be. There is no shoulder over the white line there. Glad everyone walked away from this. I'm sure the moto rider feels pretty awful about what happened. It was a dumb way to have a crash.

nnjhawk02 05-03-2013 07:35 AM

I got say that 1st video made me laugh - 2 for 1

LOL

But I hope the biker was ok

asshats in both videos

I've ridden Mulholland & Angeles Crest & yes like most popular riding roads in this country - earlier the better.

I was pulled over on MH by a CHiPs a long time ago @ about 9am on a Sunday morning - I was on a rented HD and he said the pipes are too loud (he pulled me for speeding). I told him its not mine but a rental - he still ranted. I pulled out a LEO badge & DTR I went

killer5280 05-03-2013 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by davidka (Post 354125)

The cyclist was as far to the right as he could be. There is no shoulder over the white line there. Glad everyone walked away from this. I'm sure the moto rider feels pretty awful about what happened. It was a dumb way to have a crash.

Looked that way to me too.

Still, there is no excuse for pitiful riding like that that could have gotten someone killed. Now he has a crystal clear, high definition reminder of just how bad a rider he is.

7moore7 05-03-2013 08:33 AM

We all have the same rights on the road, beginning with the expectation that everyone else is at least competent enough to not hit large objects with their vehicles. I ride both. The last close call I had with a motorist I was on my motorcycle. I probably ride ~5x the hours on my bicycle that I do on the moto.

Oh I know, and those cyclists have every right to be very pissed (and lucky to be relatively uninjured). I work in the cycling industry... all I ways saying is that some of the nutcases here are the "angry at the world" types that thinks all cars should burn or be limited to freeways. This incident only supports their case.

I think that's what Tweety is saying... the cyclists are giving the motorcyclist more than enough room to pass... they weren't exactly taking up the whole road.

It seems that there was a second on-the-bike video from the guy following this rider that is not public as it may be used in court. Super reliable (ha!) internet discussions are suggesting that it has video of camera flashes that the motorcyclist might be claiming as a distraction (he turned his head in the direction of the camera). I guess the video was up for a day before it was pulled.

My initial take is to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and he may be using it to limit the potentially huge costs of this incident, depending on if the cyclists sue for more than just physical damages (even then, those bikes are worth more than his moto). Even if he knows he's wrong, the way our court happy culture is set up he'd have to protect himself. But that's just speculation. He could be a genuinely naive rider who thinks that a camera flash is a legitimate reason for crashing.

killer5280 05-03-2013 12:54 PM

He's a squid.

8541Hawk 05-03-2013 01:39 PM

Well as one of the list members that has and does ride that road and that corner, I will say there was no reason for that guy to be anywhere close to those bikes at the speed he was going.

It's not a hard corner but some folks first get freaked out at the view behind the guard rail......just open sky and it's a ways down if you blow it there..... Then they forget to finish the corner....just like this guy.... :mad: Watch where he starts to stand the bike up.....if he would have just held his lean angle for a little longer.....no issues.