Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

VFR fork length

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
VFR fork length

I have a long way to go on my Gold Wing resto project so I need to pick away at it every day. Was trying to research shim stack info on SH stock forks and ended up an a VFR forum reading a thread on a fork/brake mod using SH stanchions grafted to VFR tubes. I think that the guy also used the damper rods from the SH, but that is something I'll work out later.
The question is: can someone with a 5th gen VFR measure from the center of the axle to top of fork length. I don't need perfect accuracy.
From the info on the thread VFR forks are longer than SH forks. The rough plan is to, when I finally finish the fork swap on the SH, is to use SH triples and forks on the GL. The stock GL front wheel is 19" and while the stock GL fork length seems to be the same as the SH, going to a 17" wheel will change the front geometry and ground clearance way too much. The thought is to swap in VFR tubes and use the SH stanchions. That will net much better brakes, better forks, and better tire choices. I realize that there will be some fooling with the steering stem, making sure the geometry is good, etc, but from the info I found on a GL site this is a doable swap.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by xeris; 07-07-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: addition