Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Ural motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Ural motorcycles

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever owned one. Saw a real clean low mile bike near me, for really cheap too. Sorry I love wierd stuff. It's just the bike itself, no sidecar. Are they fun, reliable, are parts impossible to get, etc? I'm not looking to compare it to a new R1...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Ran across a guy riding one yesterday while out in Congress AZ. Nice guy but didn't want to stop talking, lol.

Anyways, he had to remove the driveshaft for the 2wd once a u-joint went out and he couldn't get parts. (sidecar is 2nd wheel drive)

They are Russian copies of late ~1930's BMWs so with that in mind they are not bad.. Just not up to modern standards. What was considered awesome reliability back then wouldn't pass snuff for a current Korean bike. (better than Chinese though probably)
Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah so I'm thinking it's like buying a royal enfield. Basically like buying a new old bike...Just caught my eye, only has a few thousand miles and he's selling it for almost 1k under it's trade in value. I love the red star on the side of it too haha. One of the first things I usually do whenever I get interested in a used bike, especially a wierd/rare one is look up how many pages of parts there are for it on ebay. When there's not much it usually takes alot of that initial excitement away-I'm not one to spend alot of time buying parts in a dealer or ordering them at retail prices from god knows where. It's alot easier/cheaper sometimes to stick to bikes that have long model runs relatively unchanged. Ease and cost of parts & knowledge/forums certainly makes owning them easier. Maybe I'll buy it anyway
Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 AM
MotoGP

long model runs relatively unchanged...

Ural sure wins for that one.. Millions of them for decades in Russia. It's merely location (USA) that is the problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually lazn, you are only half right... They are an old design... And they don't compare to modern bikes in comfort or performance...

The part where you are wrong is their reliability... These bikes was made to be serviced by an drunk russian using a toolchest comprised or hammer, prybar and gaffa tape/steel wire... And have you seen the things they call roads?

In all seriousness though... The bike is neigh on indestructible... Make sure it has oil in it and all the bolts are tightened up and it will live longer than you... As for getting parts... Well, if you manage to break something it can usally be repaired, unusual to need a replacement part... If you do however, let me know and I'll get you all the parts you could ever want... My father owns a couple of these old beasts... Picked them up for beer money a while back...
Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Go for it. Nothing puts you in touch with your mortality like cable drum front brakes! My BMW is ultramodern comparatively and it's still a total tractor. Doesn't break and can be fixed with pieces of roadside litter. Forums give you hints like using GM a/c relays ($5) instead of Beemer $80 parts, but you can't beat a parts bike economically. Good test for the woman in your life too..."didn't you already by one last month?" ...."yeah babe, but this one doesn't run!"
Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

Just relating what the guy I was talking to said. He had ridden his down to AZ from Oregon. lol, So he must have still trusted it somewhat.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
i went for a ride on one not to long ago, was very odd to ride, then i was in the side car, and well that was an odd feeling