Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

ultimate Christmas present?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
ultimate Christmas present?

So I have been racking my brain to figure out the ultimate Christmas present for my parents/family. just thought i would post it up to see what you guys think.

A full expense paid trip for us all to ride from San Jose Ca. to Yosemite park were we will stay in a cabin on the KOA camp just off of the park thinking leave on like a thursday and come back on a monday. My mom has told me my dads dream is to get all of us that ride together and make a nice trip somewhere together.

What you all think? if I do this it will probably get planned for the spring so after the snow melt and it will be a bit warmer.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I'm doing something similar for my parents this year. they pretty much have everything they need, so coming up with a "thing" is hard to do. My mom is a big fan of Paula Dean, the chef on TV. She has a restaurant in Savannah GA that I've eaten at before. it's VERY good. I'm going to get them a night at a B&B and dinner at the restaurant.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I figured out what to get my dad. He's been in the garage a lot lately, so safety is a concern. I found some safety glasses with built in generic bifocals. The other cool part is, they make some for people with big heads.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by toy4xchris
So I have been racking my brain to figure out the ultimate Christmas present for my parents/family. just thought i would post it up to see what you guys think.

A full expense paid trip for us all to ride from San Jose Ca. to Yosemite park were we will stay in a cabin on the KOA camp just off of the park thinking leave on like a thursday and come back on a monday. My mom has told me my dads dream is to get all of us that ride together and make a nice trip somewhere together.

What you all think? if I do this it will probably get planned for the spring so after the snow melt and it will be a bit warmer.
for most adults there is very little 'material' you can buy them that is going to mean much. For parents, for the most part, there is NOTHING material you can buy them that will mean anything. Its the time wtih you and your family that will count the most. Do it. you won't regret it. and when they are gone you will only wish you did it much much more often. and then its too late. I'd give anything to take another trip with my parents or have them be able to spend more time with their grandkids, but those days are gone.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great idea. What route would you take? The ride from San Jose to Hwy 49/41 can be pretty boring unless your going to go up over Mt. Hamilton on 130.

Last edited by Moto Man; 12-01-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
I have a 1983 Honda Magna 750 that I am restoring to show. I had thought about giving it to my father for his birthday next July.

He has his license and has not had a bike for years. This way he could have something nice to ride, and I can keep it in the family until I want it back in 5 years or so.

Without 2 bikes, I can get another one to fix up, maybe the Magna 1100 and make them a set.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Moto Man
Sounds like a great idea. What route would you take? The ride from San Jose to Hwy 49/41 can be pretty boring unless your going to go up over Mt. Hamilton on 130.

Not sure which route yet still in the thought and planning phase as of right now. can't do too many crazy roads because mom isn't the biggest fan of super curvy roads but i will figure something out. I have plenty of time to plan the route just gotta set some dates and make reservations for everything.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Not sure which route yet still in the thought and planning phase as of right now. can't do too many crazy roads because mom isn't the biggest fan of super curvy roads but i will figure something out. I have plenty of time to plan the route just gotta set some dates and make reservations for everything.
Well then stay away from Mt Ham. If you need any ideas for a route, let me know and I can help you out with it.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Back Marker

Thanks man yea right now working with my brother to try and figure out dates for everything and figure out a small problem. I have 2 sisters and a niece that don't ride and would be ticked if they didn't go. So it is looking like a possible 4 bikes and a car for the trip I have no idea lol.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Rent them a convertible and make them lug all the stuff for the trip as well as backup fuel and tools.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Yosemite Valley really is awesome. Definitely go, if you and your family have not been. I took my mom there for Mother's Day a few years back - Dad won't go there.

If they are in decent hiking shape, I recommend the Mist trail, but it can be pretty crowded down low.

there's a lot to see. Hiking is the best way to see it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Back Marker

yea we went there years ago when I was a little kid. I wish I could go hiking I am probably the only one in the family that can't but even just being there is what matters to me right now.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Moto Man
Rent them a convertible and make them lug all the stuff for the trip as well as backup fuel and tools.
well renting a convertible is out of my price range with everything else but they are free to follow in the car or one of the trucks to haul extra stuff and a bike if one breaks down.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
I'm doing something similar for my parents this year. they pretty much have everything they need, so coming up with a "thing" is hard to do. My mom is a big fan of Paula Dean, the chef on TV. She has a restaurant in Savannah GA that I've eaten at before. it's VERY good. I'm going to get them a night at a B&B and dinner at the restaurant.
Room 319 at the East Bay Inn is awesome for a young couple!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Thanks man yea right now working with my brother to try and figure out dates for everything and figure out a small problem. I have 2 sisters and a niece that don't ride and would be ticked if they didn't go. So it is looking like a possible 4 bikes and a car for the trip I have no idea lol.
No Worries. Also if you ever decide to take a long weekend or something and end up with your bike in the Bay Area, let me know and I'll show you the good roads..... and yes Mt Ham is one of the good ones.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
No Worries. Also if you ever decide to take a long weekend or something and end up with your bike in the Bay Area, let me know and I'll show you the good roads..... and yes Mt Ham is one of the good ones.
I know thanksgiving weekend my brothers and I went and rode 9 and 84 I have yet to ride Mt Ham its funny cuz i grew up out there riding and never really got into the hwy9 and Mt Ham scene
Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well you should have posted it up..... I do tend to stay away from the Santa Cruz Mts most of the time anymore as the squids have really taken over in the last few year which has brought a lot of enforcement with it. I do ride some of the small back roads over there from time to time but spend more time in the East Bay now so Mt Ham is one of my main rides. It is a fun road but it does have a few hairpins that can catch you out and when it turns into San Antonio Valley there are cattle guards and free range cattle you also need to watch out for but if you know the road, there are not many better..... through in Del Puerto Cyn and Mines and you have about 140 miles of good empty roads.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road

Your trip sounds great.. as mentioned elsewhere, time together is what most parents want with kids, grand kids, ect. Pictures and personal items from that same group are a close second best.
The single best present I ever got my mother before she passed away summer of 04,, was Christmas together with
"her boys". My brother and I had not been in the same house with my mom at Christmas time for a lot of years,, like, 20 or so.. I lived in Oregon at the time my mom and brother in CA. I found out my brother and his family were having Christmas eve dinner at his in-laws and they had talked my mom in to joining… A hasty ambush plan was organized.. My two boys were exfiled from other plans, my wife brought in to the operation, we jumped in the truck with the dogs in the back and headed across state lines.. We made it to the house in CA, just at coffee time after dinner, having been on the road for ½ day… I called ahead along the way and kept just my brother in the loop…as we parked and my brother got everyone in the den, around the tree, for the family tradition of exchanging a single gift, while all were in the house to see and enjoy the smiles.. He unlatched the door for us, and my family and I entered the house unnoticed..We were standing in the hall behind the group,, when the lady of the house asked if anyone else would like a second cup of coffee.. I politely said yes please,, and thus announced our arrival.. To say my mom was surprised would be an understatement.
Unknown to us at the time, my mom was dying of brain cancer.. She went from fully functional active and alert young woman of 62, Dec of “03 to succumbing to her illness Jun 28 2004. We never had another Christmas together, but I doubt we could have topped that one anyway. My brother and I gave her what she wanted.. Something that could not be bought, and existed only in memories when the day was done.
Your trip.. sounds like the ultimate Christmas present to me.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 12-05-2009 at 03:02 AM.