Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Tire Changer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Tire Changer Advice

I've been using a Harbor Freight setup for several years now for changing my tires. As I have several bikes and also change tires frequently due to track days, I'm thinking hard about going to a bigger system. Below is a link to a model I'm considering, and also thinking about going into "business" changing tires for friends for perhaps 10 bucks a tire to keep me in beer money.

I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with this machine or something similar. good, bad or ugly.

thanks.

Atlas TC221 Tire Changer
Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I've always used a Coates tire changer, so does Cycle gear that mounted my last set. Have no idea what they cost these days. The basic Coates setup shoud work fine unless your doing volume business.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
no. don't know nuttin bout atlas.

did you look at this? owned by Hawkrider's brother, and since you're an esteemed member of this elite forum, albeit unofficial, you will receive a 1% discount on shipping and a T-Shirt for only $25. Seriously, I think he was giving some discount to members in good standing, which unfortunately doesn't include old people, esp old yeller people.

No-Mar: Scratch Proof Wheel Locking System, Beats Coats 220 - Safe for Carbon Fiber Wheels.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I'm wanting to go away from the manual system completely. With my new rear I put on my Concours in particular, I have a lot of trouble getting the tire on and want to move to an automated machine. Makes it easier all the way around and it will save my rims from some of my own wear and tear.

The Coats is the idea, but they are more pricey than I'm wanting to buy. the Atlas is probably a cheaper product, but it's only intended for garage use really. it's not like I'm expecting to do 20 tires a week or anything like that. More like 4 or 6 a month.

I'll have to see if the Atlas comes in yellow though.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It's all about technique, boss. Even without the No-Mar, having lube in the right places and making sure the tire is in the relief valley of the wheel on the opposite side is key. Even an "automatic" changer can tear up a tire or wheel. The No-Mar bar, specifically, was designed to prevent damage to the tire and wheel by bending the non-marring tips before the user damages or scratches the wheel. When used correctly, it's super simple, as I demonstrate hundreds of times per day on the same tire/wheel combination. That tire, though well lubed, is perfect even after many changes, and is sold to a customer and used on the road. The steel or kevlar belts in the bead don't stretch. That's a testament to the changer and the techniques used when removing and installing the tire.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
All I heard was..blah blah blah... She a dirty tramp...