Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Police Officer Shoots Unarmed 24 Year Old Motorcycle Rider In The Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Police Officer Shoots Unarmed 24 Year Old Motorcycle Rider In The Back

And paralyzes him, for nothing... video is dashcam from 1 year ago.

Warning, video is graphic in the sense that you see him get shot and instantly paralyzed.

Officer jumps out of car and immediately shoots him, found guilty yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfV1s...layer_embedded
Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
thats really a shame
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Glad he was found guilty. I respect the police, but that doesn't make them gods..
Old 05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Squid

rackovanz is on a distinguished road
I can no longer post on this matter, it does no good.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
That guy never should of made the police force! What is Ottawa's police officer prerequisite... a pulse? What an idiot.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rackovanz
Some people are not made for this job. Some people also make mistakes, this one could have cost a life.
It did cost the man his "life". Life in a wheelchair is not my idea of living. I have lots of friends that are LEO and i respect the job but i hope this guy gets everything he deserves in the pen.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83
It did cost the man his "life". Life in a wheelchair is not my idea of living. I have lots of friends that are LEO and i respect the job but i hope this guy gets everything he deserves in the pen.
I agree 200%. That really pisses me off, I understand doing your job but drawing a gun is completely uncalled for let alone shooting.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
The officer made the wrong decision. He should have stayed calm there were no threat. Yes he have the ability to draw a gun and the opportunity to shoot but there is no jeopardy to the officer's life as there were no gun present and was not even pointed at him. One cop can make the whole force look bad. Always bugged me on that. Good cops always get the bad end of the stick when bad officers made bad decision. A badge is a badge its not a shield it wont protect you forever. People are shooting good cops now and ambushing them because of bad cops. They are there to serve us not harass us. Sorry guys this **** annoy me hell out of me.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Superstock

Hell I hope the family turn around and sue the dam department for all they are worth. We all are riders if someone would have taken the ride away from you how would that feel. Family activities also. The kid didn't deserve that, hate to say this but if i was that guy that got shot i rather die then lay in bed for the rest of my life thinking about what i could be doing right now if i can move.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
I agree 200%. That really pisses me off, I understand doing your job but drawing a gun is completely uncalled for let alone shooting.

There is no doubt that he screwed up, BIG. But having friends that are LEO's and doing this job are two different things. And as for the gun not supposed to have been drawn???? Are you Serious, can you make that call from the "excerpts" of camera footage that was recorded off a shitty projector screen? Do this job long enough and someone will try to get the upper hand on you and either hurt you or worse. I am not saying that the guy was justified at all, but it is easy to play Monday morning QB and dissect his actions.

But one fact remains, I go home to my family no matter what. I have split seconds to make life and death choices, everyone else has days to decide what it took me seconds to do.

I should know better then to voice my opinions because it is always met with hostility.

Carry on, that's the last you will have to hear from me on this subject. Sorry for the rant.

Zachary
I know people on the police force and I understand that when you don't know what is going on or the situation you become defensive, but it was handled very poorly. It also makes me nervous because I am a 20 year old college student that has a lot ahead of me, and for it all to be taken away from me before I even get settled into a good job and life it could all be gone; sorry but that scares the **** out of me. To top it off the cops around here are absolutely rude and inappropriate, because they treat every student like crap. This article really hits home to me and makes me nervous sorry to rant back Zach.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Superstock

I didn't say he was in the right.

What I did say is it is easy for a bunch of people to make comments on a situation that they had a year to figure out.

If you were in that officer's same situation can you say that you would have made different choices? Do you think he said screw it I am going to cap this guy? No, he got scared thought he perceived a threat and took an action, albeit proven a year later to have been wrong. I am not trying to justify his actions, just call to point the fact that it is a tough job. You all should try it sometime, the pay is outstanding and the public admiration is top notch... oh wait that is firemen.
I didn't mean anything against you rack.. .. Like I say he didn't have AOJ to use deadly force Ability Opportunity Jeopardy.. He only have A and O his life was not in jeopardy, If iwas in the officer shoe I know I fucked up. he just open the department on a million dollar law suit.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Superstock

If i ever got in a wreck and became a veggie. you guys are welcome to come pull the plug
Old 05-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Superstock

Understandable rackovanz but its still not good enough you have to give the guy a chance to draw the gun not with his hand in the pocket.. I don't know sad story but human are not perfect.. people make mistake but we just have to take responsebility for our mistake.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 AM
Squid

johnclopp85 is on a distinguished road
That cop was 100% in the wrong. I understand having your gun out in that situation, but thats why we are trained to take cover and have your firearm at the ready. From my experiences people pulling out any kind of weapon usually do it in one sudden motion, not turning around slowly.

Last edited by johnclopp85; 05-16-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Being in the Military, i understand training, and more training, and training when you're absolutely and exhausted, so that it becomes instinctive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't part of his training.

I watched the video multiple times before responding. When the rider stopped, his right hand was on his thigh, and he was turned to look at the officer. Throughout the entire video, his right hand remains on his thigh. At no point did he move it up. At the time he was shot. He turned to check on his friend, but his hand remained on his thigh.

Under deadly force, he exceeded the force that was being used against him.

Sorry, I understand the split second decisions that have to be made, but his training doesn't require him shooting the guy.

I don't agree with suing the city for everything. He should be taken care of, but do you think that this type of revenge will solve anything, will it make him feel better? Probably not. The city should pay for his medical care for the rest of his life, and compensate him for lost work.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
there is no need to come off as weary that your going to be gunned down by the police. The riders actions set the stage for the officers over reaction.
( attemping to allude & didn't put his hands up when told. )

tim
Old 05-16-2010, 08:52 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
This crap happens all the time and all the officer has to do is claim he felt threatened and he walks. I repeat this is not an isolated event. Also, speeding etc. does not warrant shooting. We recently saw a local officer let off after shooting a drunk in his car 7 times in the back. Even his fellow officer saw no reason to escalate to this level. I think his words before he shot were" It's time to end this". I advise staying away from people with guns is the best way not to be shot!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that its a tough job, but if you can't make quality decisions without killing and or crippling the alleged criminal maybe you should do something like sell shoes. Excessive police violence is on the rise and little in training or officer selection is being done to stem this.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:52 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by trinc
there is no need to come off as weary that your going to be gunned down by the police. The riders actions set the stage for the officers over reaction.
( attemping to allude & didn't put his hands up when told. )

tim
This is crap. His actions? He stopped, it may have been after his buddy lost control, but if you're running (and there is a thread on this BB about running from cops) you keep running, he stopped.

Then he looked to see what was happening with his buddy.

Did you read the article, where it said that he was trying to put the bike in neutral and that he was polite even after being shot? Something to the effect of "Would you please help get the bike off me?" If he was running, would he be polite? I doubt it.

Deadly Force does not authorize this shooting. That was the charge against him, excessive force.

Did you hear audio no the tape? Do you know that officer, in his split second decision, remembered his training and instructed the rider to put his hands in the air? Do you know if the rider could hear and understand the instructions? Do you know if the LEO repeated his instructions in the event that the rider didn't understand the instructions. Lots of unknowns.

The officer had no indication that he was reaching for a weapon? He may not have complied immediately, but that doesn't warrant a shot.

His actions? If his actions warrant being shot, then so do yours and mine. We have used excessive speed, displays of power. That is what I saw in the video. Do you want to be shot Tim?

May your God have mercy on your soul for inferring that he deserved being shot and subsequently paralyzed.

In the end, the justice system and a jury of his peers found him guilty of not following procedure and using excessive force.

It's sad that in a split second, a Law Enforcement Officer lost his job and a 24 year old man lost the use of his lower body.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Never mind

Last edited by Jim TT; 05-16-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

He didn't just speed, he ran. That is what escalated it to the point that it was. Do you think the cop would have shot him if he would have simply pulled over? Again (since no one seems to see my point) I DO NOT feel that the officer was justifed in his actions at all! My point is that we have all had day, weeks , and months to come to that conclusion and not seconds like he did.
Rack, I don't recall seeing any saying that you are justifying his actions. You merely stated, from experience, that there a lot of things to consider in that split second.

You will find that on this BB, people like to state opinions, or just sound off. Some people answer other people, some people just vent. Not everything is pointed at you.

Like my previous post stated, I don't think he was running, I'll watch the tape again. Like I previously stated, if he was running, he would've kept going, and he wouldn't have been polite.

Anyhow, thanks for your insight.

Erik
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33TBaNgwSUw
Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 AM
SuperBike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POWconmYerk
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Squid

Deleted.

Last edited by rackovanz; 05-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Police Officer Shoots Unarmed 24 Year Old Motorcycle Rider In The Back