SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Finally, a Judge Stands up to Wall Street | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Can you hear my eyes rolling?

Banks of this size buy policy. It doesn't matter which flavor. How many administrations have come and gone while these guys have continued to print money.

Last edited by davidka; 11-19-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i don't know if the OWS protesters are the 99%, but I believe they're at 75-80% minimum, and I'm including myself in this majority who feel disenfranchised by the overwhelming influence of the special interests who manage political officials who are to be representing those of us who vote them into office. And this is only the tip of the iceberg of my discontent which has be percolating for many years. I definitely am one pissed-off camper.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by davidka
Can you hear my eyes rolling?

Banks of this size buy policy. It doesn't matter which flavor. How many administrations have come and gone while these guys have continued to print money.
Agreed. But shouldn't that be matter of popular discourse, so maybe we could work on that problem???

Last edited by CrankenFine; 11-20-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
Taibbi has been doing a world class job of exposing Goldman-Sachs as the corrupt bastards they are and he deserves props for that. Now what?

Why doesn't he expose the politicians, agency heads and regulators who make Goldbag-Sachs corruption both possible and hugely profitable?

Because that would lead his readers to the inescapable conclusion that Goldbag-Sachs is the Bank of the DNC, the Bank of Obama, the Bank of the Democratic Party USA.

I guess everyone has their sacred cows.
You must have missed the article he wrote exposing how lame the Democrats are. I'll try to find it for you.

The 2 party system does not work. That's why folks are going "outside the system"
Old 11-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
and I'll read it, but even calling the Dems "lame" implies people with pure and honorable motives who just can't seem to get it together. I thinks that's pretty naive.

The left's answer is always bigger, more expensive, more intrusive government.

As if that will work better the 1000th time it's tried than it did the last 999 times. As if that isn't what made this level of corruption possible in the first place.
Look the Dems are as compromised as the GOP. It's all theatre, good cop, bad cop IMHO. In the end corporate money influences both parties to do what's best for corporations and not what's good for voters. You don't think that's worthy of mass outrage and protests???

Last edited by CrankenFine; 11-20-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling error corrected
Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
Well I agree with most all of that. But there was genuine mass outrage and protest in the immediate aftermath of TARP and the phony baloney "stimulus package" two and a half years ago. Where were all these "occupy" people then? Sitting in the peanut gallery, sneering at and slandering their fellow citizens as "teabaggers" and "racists".

When you separate out the grifters and the hippies who missed Woodstock from the "serious" ones, are they demanding the FedGov get back within the constraints placed on it by the Constitution? nope. Upset about the massive tax burden? nope. The massive borrowing? nope.

Are they upset about the massive wasteful spending? Not per se. They're simply upset more isn't being wasted on them.
So to sum it all up, you basically don't mind getting robbed by rich people, but if someone worse off than you get's a buck of your tax dollar, it's an outrage!?!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Still not seeing where the occupy movement is asking for free anything. They are asking for an end to corrupt business practices in the financial sector that has done real damage the economy that we are all feeling.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by RK1
I wish that was true.

Don't see how the demand for a living wage regardless of employment or the demand for an open border/abolition of immigration law squares with your claim.
I have not seen these requests from the OWS movement.

Nobody has forced you to buy anything but the things that you chose to buy (home, stock, even your VTR) are worth far less now. That didn't happen by chance.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Obama Goes All Out For Dirty Banker Deal | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone

My point about the Dems being no better than the GOP and Taibbi's clear exposure of that is well illustrated here.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
I can't say I've ever been robbed by a rich person.

No Wall Street firm has ever forced my to buy stock, Honda didn't force me to buy my VTR, McDonald's doesn't make me buy big macs.

The only entity that demands my money and spends it on **** I don't like, will jail me if I refuse and kill me if I resist, is government.

So who is actually doing the robbing?
You and every other American are getting robbed by the 1% every day.

That happens when government transfers your wealth and mine in form of tax loopholes, industry subsidies and lopsided tax cuts that favor corporations over the middle class to people who are already insanely rich. So you and I pay tremendously more than we should if the tax system wasn't rigged.

I agree our government is totally screwed up and does not serve the will of the majority. When we fix that problem, we'll go a long way to fixing how much a government should really cost.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 AM
MotoGP

Quite simply, our form of gov't is a representative democracy and as such we elect officials to make decisions on behalf of us, their constituents, i.e., the voters who elected them, effectively the numerical majority of citizenry.

The reality is that our gov't has been undermined by campaign financing, special interests, lobbyists, corporations, and others who pay and are paid to do nothing but shape and control everything that "our" representatives in gov't are doing. These entities are employing people to contrive a gov't favorable to their agendas which most often are contrary to the average American citizenry.

How can people who are busy raising families, working two jobs, fixing their cars and homes, working for charities, barely surviving or helping others to, supposed to compete with people who get paid large salaries to do nothing but exert pressure on lawmakers and other office holders to adhere to their priorities? The vast majority of citizenry cannot micro-manage the lawmakers, we can only vote for candidates who are owned and managed by special interests who determine their elect-ability through alliances built on campaign financing.

the OWS group is taking it to the next level, open and public protestation. What i see around me is a feast or famine situation.

15% of americans are getting foodstamps, double the amt of students, contrasted to a few years ago, are getting their best meals in schools, more people in prisons than any other country, more people with contrived disabilities collecting, many with other jobs or working under the table, more people out of work, many of whom have given up looking, than I've ever witnessed in my lifetime, education system most expensive and poorest ranking of industrialized countries, etc., etc.

I see many people around me who can be immediately be demoted from the middle class to poverty simply by virtue of marital separation. Dual-income married couples are often managing a household with $100,000 plus income and living the middle class lifestyle of vacations, eating out, buying new cars, furnishings, appliances and houses at will; on the other hand in an instant with divorce or separation it's a whole different ballgame. Feast to famine, lose the house, the cars and move into a poverty/survival mode just based on trying to survive on single income per household. Unbelievable!

What I have also seen different in our area is an inordinate amt of chronic drug use and abuse, mostly pharmaceuticals, and the crime that is needed to support this lifestyle. Breaking into homes and removing copper pipes from sometimes occupied houses, stealing cooper wire from operational electrical grids despite risk of electrocution, mugging old people and other vulnerable individuals, and all sorts of bizarre crimes committed by desperate people who have hit bottom both morally and financially.

Basically, people have lost faith in a country that rewards corrupt corporations and other financial organizations who have usurped the power of the people. Even those who are doing well enough to have extra money to invest are reluctant to risk their savings in this country and many are looking abroad or into gold to secure the future.

OWS is little consolation for the ills which plague us, but maybe it's a start and is at least a harbinger of impending serious problems which may ultimately end in collapse, revolution or some combination thereof.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
The linked article was OKay. The headline makes it sound like Tiabbi is ripping Obama a new one but the article itself doesn't. Mostly a rip on Countrywide, BofA and Wall Street. Fine, but Tiabbi's lesser complaint about government is about the Obama "administration", as if that was something Obama has little or no control over!

I'll ask you and other posters here the very, very simple question Tiabbi won't...

Why would rich, greedy, selfish banksters lend money to people who can't pay it back?

Now I'll answer it for you;

Because the Federal Government demanded they do so. To help the "poor and minorities" don't you know?

Threatened to investigate, sanction, and publicly smear if they didn't.

And (and this is a very ******* important "and") promised to guarantee that the banks could keep any profit and fob off any losses on the taxpayer through Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or when the SHTF, TARP.

So let's try buying a freakin' clue. Bankers would never, never, ever lend a freakin' dollar to someone who can't pay it back unless THE ******* FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROMISED TO STEAL YOUR ******* MONEY AND PAY IT BACK FOR THEM. ANY ******* QUESTIONS?
No questions as I think you've pretty much answered everything I've been wondering about.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
If bankers wouldn't lend money to those who can't pay it back, why would mobsters do it? In their illegitimate line of work, mobsters have no laws for retribution and must break the law to get it back and the ridiculous percentages they charge. The one thing that holds true is that they can take what ever they loaned the money for and they get the portion you already payed. The mob takes your life, the banks take everything that was your life. What do you think the profit is on a 10 year default on a 30 year loan? Or is it all losses?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:51 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
And (and this is a very ******* important "and") promised to guarantee that the banks could keep any profit and fob off any losses on the taxpayer through Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or when the SHTF, TARP.

So let's try buying a freakin' clue. Bankers would never, never, ever lend a freakin' dollar to someone who can't pay it back unless THE ******* FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROMISED TO STEAL YOUR ******* MONEY AND PAY IT BACK FOR THEM. ANY ******* QUESTIONS?
You may want to tone it down a tad for your own sanity. It ain't worth getting excited about since there's very little we can do about it, short of revolution, to take back control of our gov't.

with all due respect, your assumption, that the Federal government is somehow separate from bankers, other corporations and special interests, esp in light of campaign financing and revolving door infiltration, is naive to say the least.

It should be obvious to all of us that the gov't and all their friends are having a great big party and we ain't invited. OWSers' are just trying to crash the party.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
It should be obvious to all of us that the gov't and all their friends are having a great big party and we ain't invited. OWSers' are just trying to crash the party.
But Nath,
My news stations I watch tell me they want what I have and I should fight them to the death to stop them.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
I'm just very glad that ucdavis pepper sprayed the dbag occupyers.

may they all figure it out and go the **** home. it's fairly obvious to me.

you failed, go home
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by mertechperformance

you failed, go home
Seriously? This single event has greatly increased the focus on this movement (not to mention seriously damaging US Davis's public image). I can't imagine what else seems "obvious" to you.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by davidka
Seriously? This single event has greatly increased the focus on this movement (not to mention seriously damaging US Davis's public image). I can't imagine what else seems "obvious" to you.
+1, looks like a clear case of assault, no threats from the "crowd" no arrest attempt, why the violence!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mertechperformance

you failed, go home
evidently the OWSers have less brains than you.......... or maybe just bigger ***** and more commitment. Speaking of small brains, that cop is a winner in my book. He's a real role model for what not to do and i'm sure our allies will think more of us when they see that humanitarian display of American democracy in action.

But at least he's a hero to you and some others here.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM
SuperBike

" I have the constitutional right to...but those dbags shouldnt have theirs."

Why is this an ongoing theme?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
" I have the constitutional right to...but those dbags shouldnt have theirs."

Why is this an ongoing theme?
because you're watching too much Fox news and we like to fight over stupid ****. haha
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

You do it with civility. How can you possibly be a "what if" person? How? Christ, what if one of those CCW a-holes pulls a gun and starts shooting protesters? I would guess that showing up to a peaceful protest with gear for a violent one doesn't set the tone that the police are looking for. If you go looking for a fight, you get it. You might suggest that they were being civil by asking them to move, but that civility has to continue throughout. We have started wars and/or regime controls over this same crap in too many different countries for it to happen here. And, for whatever reason that you want me and others to take you seriously, would you suggest that the only option opposite pepper spray is to drag them out by their hair (which they have been doing along with beating them with clubs, shooting them with bean bags, and using flash grenades). I have just about had enough of listening to your stupid ****. I bet you will say something dumber, as you have yet to find bounds to your stupidity. I argue for freedom. I argue for rights. I argue for fair and just. What the hell could you possibly be arguing for? Is that liberal enough for you, or should I tell you that I have 6 guns in my living room that I am currently cleaning.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
What would you recommend? "Protesters" are blocking access to a public building you and I have a right to enter.

The very much leftist. "liberal" political authorities who control UC Davis, Oakland, Ca., Portland Or. or Seattle Wa. order their police to restore access for citizens.

Police arrive on the scene and issue a lawful order that "protesters" get out of the way. Protesters refuse to obey order.

Now what should the cops do? No pepper spray? OKay. Do you want them to wade into the crowd and drag people away by their hair?

What if a protester hits a cop in the face? Whips out a silver colored cellphone and someone yells "gun!" What if a "protester" gets pissed and tries to wrench a pistol from a cops holster?

Imagine you're one of the cops. How do you execute the orders given to you by your "liberal", OWS sympathizing bosses?
accord to one of their professors, UC Davis has a history police brutality and that's the reason he gave for calling for the chancellor to step down.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
"You do it with civility" Hows that work? Cops have been given orders by their Obama voting, OWS sympathizing, Democratic Party political leaders to clear access to a public building. They announce the lawful order issued by the politician you voted for. The order is disobeyed.

What should the cops do now? For once you might choose to forgo the gratuitous insults and actually answer a question?
See, you are getting it. You placed Obama at blame for the management of a local's issues to push political agenda. You don't cease to push those boundaries I was talking about.

As for civility and what that means... Show up to the peaceful protest and start by letting the protesters know the law, your agenda, and that you will remove them and that you wish to do it in the safest manner possible. Explain what that is. carryout these actions by letting individual protesters know that you must remove them, that they should comply because, frankly, you understand their opinion but must carry out your job. etc etc etc

Or, you can spray them, grab their hair, beat them with clubs, and try to break their arms while cuffing them and just claim that they were resisting.

Now, you might say that my way doesn't work, but try busting kids at a high school dance for anything (drinking, fighting, etc etc etc). I busted 3 kids for drinking, 2 thanked me within the month for how I handled it and for actually doing my job. Compliance is a manner of convincing them that it is their best option. Escalating a situation is not in the best interest of public safety or the safety of the officers. This is 101 conflict resolution.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
Just trying to have a bit of fun, guy. We all "know" that all of the world's injustice is caused by conservatives, teabaggers and the Koch Bros. Forgive me for pointing out that every OWS pepper spray, arrest and beat down has occurred in a jurisdiction controlled by "liberals".
Oh crap, I am sorry if I said that. Did I say that? I must have said that. I am sure I did, but just to lazy to look for it. Yeah, I said it... unless you can prove otherwise. Right, thats how it works?!

How can anyone interested in constitutional freedoms and justice argue the other side of that fence at any point? I will answer that, it doesn't play into their viewpoint about that topic. So, someone that is anti-republican would be okay with a republican being violated as long as it aids them in their view. A "serves them Right" vengeance concept, which serves no one. But I digress, everyone knows that child molesters are bad people. I am sorry I had to point this fact out to you. (that implies that you were somehow siding with child molesters).
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
I didn't say "your way" doesn't work. And I neither condemned or applauded the UC Davis cops. Because I don't know what all happened before they sprayed people. Go back and check it out. I asked what they should have done, period.

And what if the kids you busted for drinking told you to **** off and mind your own business? Would you have slinked away and pretended you hadn't seen it, or called the cop with the pepper spray?
I would have ordered for the police to shoot them with bean bags

And, when you imply that someone means something, and when called on it, applaud them on their "gold medal", you are merely being childish. I deal with enough aholes all day that pull this crap. Their called kids.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

I'm not saying it was right for the cops to pepper-spray them or that the oppupyers, per se deserved it but ****, i REALLY hope these occupy folks to just leave.

I don't get it, why don't the cities just en masse arrest all of the occupyers for illegal camping and be done with it?
Then MAKE them do LOTS and LOTS of community service.

Those **** head cops are "99%ers" too.

Also for the record I would love to see most things Davis, CA and or UC Davis tarnished and belittled.

BTW if you haven;t seen any of the hilarious Pepper-Spray cop Photoshops google them, HILARIOUS!!!

Last edited by mertechperformance; 11-21-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Originally Posted by autoteach
Now, you might say that my way doesn't work, but try busting kids at a high school dance for anything (drinking, fighting, etc etc etc). I busted 3 kids for drinking, 2 thanked me within the month for how I handled it and for actually doing my job. Compliance is a manner of convincing them that it is their best option. Escalating a situation is not in the best interest of public safety or the safety of the officers. This is 101 conflict resolution.
They were giving you lip service....
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
I hadn't heard that, Nathan. I looked up the UC Davis Chancellor and she's only been there for 2 years so I don't know how much history she should be held responsible for in any case.

I'll tell you something you probably already know, maybe from personal experience (as I do). NYPD, Chicago PD, LAPD etc treat people worse, with less justification, every single day. Why aren't professors demanding the resignation of the mayors of NYC, Chicago and LA?
the prof stated that this chancellor was merely carrying on brutality tradition of the past chancellor.

Not all cops are violent and aggressive, but not uncommon up in this neck of the woods. The modus operandi for unruly local captures is the elevator *** kickin.......two or three cops beating the hell out the detainee in an elevator stopped between the floors.

Quick Reply: OCCUPYFAIL UPDATES