Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

The Last Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
The Last Pontiac

This Soltace is a nice looking car, but it got a terrible review by the Times tester, maybe others. Too bad, seems sketchy that GM is actually turning the corner.

Anyone have a late model GM passenger car? Is it at all competitive in design, performance, reliability? Is their poor quality a leftover from years gone by, or are they still short of the grade?
Attached Thumbnails The Last Pontiac-soltice-side.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I bought a new Malibu in 98 and had problems with front brake rotors wearing out at a record pace. I wrote GM three letters in an attempt to get financial assistance with the replacement costs and was basically to told to get lost. Seems I was not alone in being treated this way. Now, unsurprisingly, it seems their arrogance and aloofness has come back to haunt them. Looks good on them I say. How the mighty have fallen. Maybe the "new GM" will realize that they are not "too big to fail" and will start to build decent cars and take care of their customers. Let`s just say they have a lot of catching up to do (I am certainly in no rush to give them another chance, not when the competition is so fierce for my money.....) Also, the old argument about buying domestic is largely irrelevant as (in Canada anyhow) the Japanese manufacturers all build cars here anyhow, so you can buy "foreign" and still keep your fellow countryman working.

Last edited by mikstr; 07-15-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I know a lot about the motors in those solstices the LNF they're great can hold a lot of power, strong blocks, heads, forged internals etc and can be quite simply and safely upgraded. other than that I don't know a lot about the actual construction of the car
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Alot has changed in quality in the last 5-6 years. GM has several vehicles at the top of reliabity surveys. Check JD power ratings. The Solstice platform is a great set up. Rhys Millen Set a Pikes peak Record with a Solstice GXP a few years back. Stock engine block tweaked to just over 500 hp. I have owned several GM vehicles, including a 2005 GMC Envoy( bought new in November 2004) and a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan (bought new July of 2008) Both have been great vehicles. No issues at all, not a one. Check out the reviews on the Pontiac G8. One of the best road cars I have ever driven...
But, I agree past history make it hard to change popular opinion. I can only ask that people check the new GM's out for themselves before they pass judgement...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 AM
MotoGP

Good points Kris.

I must say I kind of want to see the bastards sweat and beg a bit after what they put me (and thousands, if not millions of others) through. Revenge can be a tasty dish....
Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Superstock

kmm996
True... Point taken. I'm not saying they aren't without their faults in the past. Not trying to deny the issues you had. But, that was more than a decade ago. alot has changed. If you had one bad experience with a restaurant would you never try another?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

If I was an isolated case it would be different but I spoke with many, many people who relayed similar stories. Their mindset was one of arrogance and almost disdain for their customer (was, at the time, my first new car purchase, and I expected some level of understanding and support for what was an obvious design flaw). To be treated in such a way after taking a vote of confidence in them with my heard-earned money has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. I am not saying I will never buy another GM, I am saying not yet. I need to see more pain..... teach them a lesson once and for all! In the meantime, I will spend my money where my clientele is valued and I am respected as a customer.

I am a firm beleiver in karma and like to see people get back what they give out. I like to see people who are honest and work hard succeed. By the same token, I like to see arrogant a**holes, crooks and dishonest types fail and be punished. GM, for me, falls into the latter category.

Last edited by mikstr; 07-15-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Good point. Unfortunately, my livelyhood depends on them succeeding. I'm in sales at a GM dealer. So I hope people will atleast give us a look.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

I sincerely wish you the best.

cheers
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
GM and the "NEW GM" (Government Motors) deserve to go under without any more F'n assistance.
If they couldn't make money when times were good how can anyone think they can make money and payoff the billions they owe US already?
They blame the unions who are only the ones putting all the cheap *** parts upper management is purchasing from 3rd world countries on their branded automobiles.
If they don't succeed this time why not put them on trial like all the other corporate crooks.

I am a Pontiac enthusiast and in fact own a few GTO's from the early 70's - but my last 2 purchases of a GM vehicle ('98 Yukon & '02 Grand Prix) have been a mistake. They don't build them to last much past a 3year lease rate, cheap plastic interiors, faulty brakes, poor mileage, non graded bolts, subpar weatherstripping, etc..

I switched to a Ford truck in 2000 after trading the Yukon and my spouse is trading the GrandPrix for a new Taurus SHO she just ordered.
Due respect for the new Camaro, I really don't think GM will last if they keep the trend of POOR Customer service and long term reliability issues handled.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

I want to add that the one truly positive aspect of my Malibu experience was my local dealer (at the time), who was absolutely stellar in going to bat for me. Buying a vehicle, as we know, is about more than just the machine, it is also about establishing a relationship with your dealer. In my case, my desire to see good people rewarded (in this case the dealer) could be made to outweigh my desire to see the ****** at GM punished. If you work for a good dealership that supports customers and appreciates their business, I am convinced you will succeed, at least I hope you do, for you (and the people you work with) deserve it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by harlangto
GM and the "NEW GM" (Government Motors) ....
hahaha
Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Indeed I have been calling GM Government Motors since the first big "loan" (it will never get paid back).

There isn't a vehicle made by GM in the last 20 years that has both caught my interest and been in my price range. They make some nice expensive cars, and boring crap for the common people. Heck, a $19,000 Toyota Camry is more exciting than any GM car priced under 40 grand.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Good points Kris.

Revenge can be a tasty dish....
And should always be served cold.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I suggest now there has been another evolutionary step. First we had proud names that became General Motors. Then the government steps in and tells them how and when to comply to pollution controls, allows unions to extract billions of company cash value annually, and ultimately has to be sold with the government buying a $28 billion company for $89 billion. Thus, becoming Government Motors.

The biggest tragedy is nothing in the failed model of business has been eliminated in the new model of business.

So I suggest that the new GM stand for Gremlin Motors. If you think it didn't work a while ago. If you think it was ugly before Just wait. The end is near.

For you guys that work there be heartened by the fact that in the splintering of giants many successful companies are spun off. Imagine Corvette as its own publicly traded stock. Hell, even I would own some of that!

Imagine that you would have enough money to buy the plant that builds the two-seater for Saturn. There's enough money all over this planet for moneyed enthusiasts to go into the mainstream car business.

For the billions poured into the system none of it is about cars. Or trucks, or customers. The drought in employment, wages, foreclosures cast a big shadow on our current leaders.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 PM
CMCC
Squid

cmcconkey is on a distinguished road
lovin my honda cars

After 20 years of owning nothing but GM's (well used ones) ,I was finally in a position to buy an almost new one (with hard earned money). It was not even a year old and almost no miles on it. Turned out to be the worst car I ever owned. Every trip to dealer was a fight . They just didn't want to fix the car. I felt like a sap for being somewhat loyal to them over the years. Then I bought the car I said I'd never own, a Honda. Six years later and problem free. GM you had your chance and blew it. Thanks to the internet cosumers can research products in minutes.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
I work for the biggest used car dealership chain in the world. We sell more trailblazers than i think just about anything else. And almost everyone comes back to haunt us. Every single time a trailblazer comes in the door i already know we are gonna spend over $600 on shitty cheaply designed overpriced interior parts that are broken (not by abuse) . Then an hour repainting the stupid radio buttons. Then another hour cutting all 4 rotors which inevitably will be replaced to to delamination. Then im gonna replace the rear parking shoe because its fallen apart and i noticed it when the rotor was off. I work with over 30 techs and EVERY LAST ONE groans when a Gm pulls into there bay. Because they know they are in for a fight. Tell me why a company would build a car for 10+ years with a known defect in the intake gasket design costing consumers millions? (yah im talking to you poor malibu, impala and everything with that peice of **** 3.1 or any variation there of). Because they are shady, They will always be shady. And to go back to what this thread was actually started about, the solstice is a **** box. No matter how great the motor is. The transmission is the widest band thing ive ever driven. By the time your shifting at redline, the car is 1000rpm below horsepower curve and STARVING to accelerate. they are also SUPER plasticy on the inside. Next time your in one grab the trim around the Ebrake handle and pull forward gently. It falls right off, there is nothing that retains it. Ive worked on 3 in the past year and everyone has gone to the front lot and come back after a couple test drives needing over a thousand in body work because the trunk opens on the highway because the roof wasnt closed properly (partly operator error but come on, put in a warning light or at least make it user friendly). This is a line i use constantly at work "seriously the only thing thats gonna save GM is if they buy all the tooling and rights for a 92 honda civic from honda and start making it again" but realisticly they would screw that up
Old 07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I had a 99 Malibu, since I luckly inherited with still 3 yrs of payments. Yeah the one with the shitty 3.1 engine. I had to replace brakes every other month. Experienced all sorts of electrical problems. For the last 2 yrs of college I rode it with always a few gallons of water in the trunk since after replacing the head gasket twice, I said **** it. In the end I donated it. Never ever ever....ever ever ever GM again.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
The G8 is supposed to be rebranded as the Chevy Caprice since sales have risen in the past six months. We'll see...
http://jalopnik.com/5312496/pontiac-...-chevy-caprice

Now if they could learn how to give it some decent styling instead of making it look like every other car they make.