General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Honda Superhawk VS Pontiac GTO 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Honda Superhawk VS Pontiac GTO 5.7

I have this guy that drives his dads pontiac gto he got for his 16th bday wanting to race me on my bike. He has cams,cat converter removed,and moaybe a couple of other small things. He claims he is pushing 390 at the rear wheel. But letting a guy tell you how much HP his car has is like hearing a fisherman tell you how big the fish was that he caught, it keeps getting bigger and bigger. Anways he says that he has spanked Mustang GT's, Z28's, and kept up with a Cobra. I was riding home one day and he was trying to race this guy on a harley and a guy on gixxer 750 but he had his GF on the back so he didnt do anything. So me and my brother (he has a Z1000 and I was on my concours) roll past him and he revs it up. I was on my concours with no helemt on so i didnt really want to race him up to a fast speed. So once we cleared traffic he was a car length behind us and i saw the bacK end squat so i knew he was on it. I guess he thought he was going to take us by surprise. So i reluctantly downshifted the connie and got up to about 110 and he never passed me but if we would have gone another 50 yards he would have been beside me. So after that happened my brother said that he then pulled up beside him and they both got on it at the same time. He said he walked away from the gto a good bit which is good. Anyways all that to say he wants to meet me somewhere and race me on my hawk. I know i can take him but i just wanted to see what you guys think and see if any of you have raced any cars like this or gt's,or vetts. Man i would have paid money if i could have paused time and switch bikes right then and there because i had been looking for that punk for weeks and then he tries to race me and i was on my councours.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I would say the gas, tires and time are better spent in the twisties!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Squid

Are you trying to make me feel bad that i live in florida where there are no damn twisties. Well you succeeded and now i am going to go and lay on my hawk and sobb for a while. No i agree but this kid needs to be put in his place.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Race him from a standing start. Bikes have much better acceleration than cars. They just don't have the rubber. That said, lemme give you some background on the GTO...since I have one.

-Stock rubber is 245 series. Max without rolling rear fenders is 265. Still lame compared to a Vette.
-Stock LS2 1/4 mile times with drag radials are generally in the low 13's. I have only a tune and a drop in filter and would probably get that on street tires. I'm putting 352hp/360tq to the rears.
-Car has independent rear suspension which means that the car can/will get severe wheel hop if he spins, so he'll have to get out of it or ride it out which is really hard on the drivetrain.
-Stock LS1 is 350hp at the crank, so call it 290 at the rear wheels. Cam+exhaust+intake+tune might get him up to 360 or so at the wheels. If he wants any more than that he'll have to go with heads and/or a supercharger which could take it up to 500hp.
-You will win this race. I don't care how good a driver he is. A crappy rider can get a 12 second 1/4 on the VTR pretty easily.
-Take it to the track. Risk outweighs benefit on the street.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Oh, one more thing...with that much hp the car will have a better top end. Do not race from rolling or 50-whatever.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vtrlvr
Are you trying to make me feel bad that i live in florida where there are no damn twisties. Well you succeeded and now i am going to go and lay on my hawk and sobb for a while. No i agree but this kid needs to be put in his place.
Sorry man, didn't know you were in Flatrida....that's my made up word...lol...

Ok, so take that fool to the kleeners!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Hawkrider...take it to a drag track and do it in front of others so he can't use weak excuses when you blow the doors off of him.....and the others watching will LOL as you wheelie off the line and hit the traps before him.

Nice thing about the hawk it's a sleeper....but with some pipes and a twist of the wrist....all eyes are on you!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Watch out for him when you slow down that he doesn't run over you. At 16-17 he probably doesn't have the experience to handle that car at high speed.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
senecagreen,

What part of Oklahoma are you at?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Squid

Yea i i would take him to a track but there isnt one really near by. There is a newly 4 lane road connecting to sides of town together with no intersecting roads and and about 1 mile long. In about an hour probably 10 cars drive by so... and no cops i will try it there. I told my brother about it and he want to try him on his 2003 Goldwing 1800 i will tell you how that goes. I looked up the specs a gl1800 can do 1/4 in 12.7 and a drag time that i saw for a gto with some different heads and crap like that got a 12.98. I will let you know how it goes.http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO-Timeslip-5441.html
Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
At 16, he doesn't have the skills or experience to handle a car at ANY speed. What's with people giving a 16-yr-old kid a car like this anyway? He should be driving a slant-6 Dart Swinger.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
regardless of what he drives, he doesnt have experience behind the wheel. You could probably beat him with a GeO
Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Squid

Dont get me started again. When i was growing up you were lucky to even be driving a car of your own at 16 now for graduation and birthdays you have these big ole trucks and sports cars given to these kids. A kid has a lot more less respect for a vehicle if it is a given to him than if he bought it with his hrad earned money.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Squid

Ogre8472 is on a distinguished road
I will say that it will be very funny if he is embarresed in front of all his little friends. Then if his father finds out that he is trashing the car...by oh i dont know a video made by one of your friends...he just might be using the local bus route for some time...at least that what mine would have made me do AFTER selling my car.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Just remember that 16 year old is in a cage and is behind you. I would dare say his braking skills are even worse than his acceleration skills. besides its a car vs bike. The VTR would eat its lunch in the curves or straights. My VTR did a roll on in third with a RX8 next to me and it just walked away from it but that being said my 2005 Tacoma w/ V6, double cab 4x4 with camper top got a fender on an RX8 and I let him get the jump. Kid was so embarressed he pulled in a drug store instead of meeting me at the light.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
those Tacomas with the 4.0 V6 and 6-speed are pretty damn fast aren't they... I heard 0-60 in under 7 sec. Pretty good for a stock pickup.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Yes they are. She has shown the tail lights to a many o car I wouldnt have thought that she could. Been a Ford man all my life but I knew I was going to keep my next truck at least 10 years so I bit the bullett and went with toyota been happy so far with it.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
+1 on kids being given cars these days. I found a 1981 Pontiac Firebird T/A Turbo in a junkyard with 8 inches of water in the floor and a front end that pointed somewhat into the sky and had it rebuilt within a year, which happened to be just short of my 16th b'day. I didn't have a problem telling my spoiled classmates with their new Accords where to go.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I have this guy that drives his dads pontiac gto he got for his 16th bday wanting to race me on my bike.
If the dad is only 16, how can this be? If you race his son who has to be a fetus and win, will you gain respect? A fetus can't legally drive in Florida can they?

Oh wait, I see now. The DAD got the car for HIS 16th birthday so that makes the GTO a 60's muscle car, right? But you can't chip them and they certainly didn't come stock with 245 rear rubber. I'm so confused.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Bling,

Take your meds, dude.

The GTO is a 2004 with the 5.7 LS1. The words admittedly are a little confusing, but translated the dad gave his kid the car for his (the kid's) 16th birthday.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Squid

wtxrider is on a distinguished road
you are confused, his dad has got a gto, the new ones, and gave it to his son on his sons 16th birthday
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Squid

Yea i know it is hard to read but i just got done talking to the kid and he had my blood running so i couldnt type.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Squid

Yea i know it is hard to read but i just got done talking to the kid and he had my blood running so i couldnt type.
AND????????
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Squid

AND what?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
When's the race?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Squid

Hopefully this weekend.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Squid

gnapoleone is an unknown quantity at this point
MAke sure you wave as you blow by, I always do.......
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Squid

make sure you get a pic of his face when you win....I amagine it will look something like this
Old 04-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
I was going to give a GTO to my kids kid when that kid turned 16 the day after his nieghbors kid me his girlfriends 16 year old kid...kid... I wanna know how it ends up
Old 04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
kid

Quick Reply: Honda Superhawk VS Pontiac GTO 5.7