Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Stellar Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Stellar Performance

I apologize to you guys for my posts the other night. I wished not to offend anyone. No doubt the clouds got low that night.

It has been brutally hot here (records every day) and Im not used to riding the bikes in the heat of summer. Typically this is an off time for me. Conditions are further complicated by the fact that we are in a drought that sets records back to the mid 1950's. It's dusty!

After forcing Chrysler into repurchasing my o7 Dodge Diesel pickup just before their financial fiasco, I was unsure of what to buy. The economy and all, GM on the brink, and Ford - well it's Ford. I decided I would rely on the bikes for my main transportation.

I used the truck as a cooler between appointments and now, instead of a cooler, I sit on a furnace between appointments.

I try to be done by early afternoon but lately it's near a hundred degrees by then and the humidity runs about 40%. It's real hot on the Superhawk. With underarmor and mesh riding between lights is great - stopping is like being a sponge with nobody squeezing.

Long story short after pounding waters all day on the bike, I get back and instead of pounding more water I crack a couple cans. By the third can I decide I'm realllllyyyy hungry as I haven't eaten all day.

I stand to go to the kitchen and get the twirlies. I decide food can wait so I crawl to bed just hot as hell - could not cool off. By 2AM, I'm freezing and grabbing for covers. By 4AM I'm heading for the fridge for water and did so every 30 minutes until I had to get up.

I only remind you that heat stress is very real and like hypothermia will make your brain a little more than rocky. The next morning I changed the crews hours to have them out of the heat much earlier than their regular times.

It's been 116F in Phoenix lately and my Mom says the mowing crews are starting at 4AM.

I want you to know that when I sky one of these out (never happened before) everyone is appreciated.

Last edited by nuhawk; 07-17-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Doug;

Like probably 99+% of forum members I guess I missed it 'cause I don't know what you're talking about.

Like anybody who has hung around here for a while I see you're always ready with helpful info and advice for anybody who needs it. You're a credit to the forum, a good guy with a good heart. Over and out.

PS. If I had five bucks for every time I offended somebody, I could probably add another bike or two to my collection.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:06 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
RK1, i think the beer messed with Doug the other day. See this post and start on post #40. I ride with Doug every chance we get and he is a really good friend and would do anything to help someone out. But sometimes you just got to pick on him.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...379#post227379
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by k-d-williams
RK1, i think the beer messed with Doug the other day. See this post and start on post #40. I ride with Doug every chance we get and he is a really good friend and would do anything to help someone out. But sometimes you just got to pick on him.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...379#post227379
That's it? I went and read from your link. I not only enjoyed nuhawk's prose, It made perfect sense to me. I guess that says something about me and my life experience. I think the man is a bit of a wordsmith in the Hunter Thompson tradition.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I think I am more likely to raise people's ire than nuhawk is.. I don't know what he's worried about.

(and yes it is HOT in Phx.. went on a long ride yesterday and we all soaked our shirts every stop)
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I was watching Sport Science on Fox. They did a study on clothing, and how it affects body temperature. Underarmor and it's wicking qualities actually decrease the bodies ability to stay cool.

They featured this stuff and scientifically proved that it helped cool the body.
http://www.shopx-bionic.com
Might be worth looking at if you are in 116 degree weather.

Had to do with our sweat actually working to keep us cool, and if we move it away from our body, it makes us hotter. This clothing has these "channels" (best word I could come up with) that keep the sweat near our bodies, and allow air to circulate, thus cool the sweat and cooling the skin and reducing our body temp.

This one says that the hotter is gets the cooler it keeps you, and when the temp drops, it traps air to keep you warm. It's $130 dollars, but if it works, it might be money well spent.
http://www.shopx-bionic.com/shop-the...category_id=24

Last edited by Erik S.; 07-19-2009 at 02:08 PM.