Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Going for knee surgery.. sigh

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Going for knee surgery.. sigh

Well... I jacked my knee up again im May... found out thru the MRI it has torn again... 3rd time...

Im not to happy, but at least Im getting fixed... I'll be off the SH for about 2 weeks if all goes well...

Going in Wed, 24 Aug.... wish me luck
Old 08-20-2005, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Going for knee surgery.. sigh

Damn 3 times, what are you doing to yourself!! I blew my acl, had a dead guys tendon put in athroscopically. I was supposed to stay off the bike for 5months I lasted 3. Good luck man as I told my friends, I thoght the most painful thing I ever did was blow my knee, until I had the surgery, the recovery hurt a hell of a lot more! but I'm sure you know that.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Squid

AbeFM
Yeah - best of luck - I've known a lot of folks who... wouldn't say knee surgery was the highlight of their life.

If you need someone to keep your bike warm for you while you're gone...... :-)
________
Strain Index

Last edited by AbeFM; 03-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Yeah... I hear ya...

I tore my medial meniscus in Aug 02... they didn;t find it and repair it til July 03... 9 perm stitches holding it together. 30 days on my lazy boy, 3 months on crutches then Rehab was a joke and it screwed it up worse.

I went back in for surgery in Sep 04 after several consults with 3 doctors... they found another tear... separate from the original.. and detoriation was escallating at noted by the 'groove' cut into the underside of my knee cap from the tear allowing the bone on bone contact.

Now... sigh... my knee has again shown yet another tear that needs attention... they are not sure how bad this time since the MRI shows the 2 previous tears as well scar tissue galore. They will not know until they are 'inside'

I have been told that I need a full knee replacement last year, but I am too young ( almost 37) to have the procedure done since the life expectancy of the synthetic knees are still at 10-15 years before they are shot.

I am still VERY active have 4 boys, two highschoolers(twins) in football and a 12 year old that is an all-star soccer freak. My little guy is only 15 months old but keeps me going ALOT...

I really hate not being able to get out and 'play ball' with the boys as I used to... saddening...

I just want one pain-free day of normality... is that too much to ask? Apparently so... according to the docs.... being a Marine of 19 years is hard on your knees among other things, but I have to retire at 20 (Aug 06) due to this... oh well life goes on....

thanks for listening....
Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Originally Posted by AbeFM";p=&quot
Yeah - best of luck - I've known a lot of folks who... wouldn't say knee surgery was the highlight of their life.

If you need someone to keep your bike warm for you while you're gone...... :-)
thanks for the support...

hahaha... my 14 year old twins are more than happy to get out and ride around the block... well.. the culdasac is as far as they go... lol
Old 08-24-2005, 05:27 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Re: Going for knee surgery.. sigh

my wife had same kind of surgery just about 6 months ago....mountain skiing ....I had same sh..t some years ago but 2 ligaments was still holding with small bits and it kinda healed completely (thou I feel bad weather coming)
But here they only repair it with your own ligaments, they somehow pull strings from leg muscle through smaaal hole and repair knee through 4 small holes with those muscle strings. My wife had bad one - crucial ligament torn completely, evacuated with helicopter from 2800 meters point
But what I am getting to - fllowing advice of surgeon, she wore sub-zero cool looking (with Carbon bits!) knee fixator (remember MadMax) for about 2 months, slowly altering adjustement for more and more movement. Now - all my fellow skiers (50% had torn ligaments in knees) told her to wear that thing when she skiing - they say it is not only protecting you, but helps to steer skis they all wearing theirs when skiing....
Anyway, I making her wear it any time she doing serious sports except running ...I think you probably need to do same - thou I must say, that thing looks so cool on her and just so bad when I tried it on myself :wink:
In US seem to find some "slick" version that can be worn and slmost invisible, like that
http://www.cramersportsmed.com/servl...&table=product
but she had something like this:
http://www.kneeshop.com/images/genIIspirit.jpg
Most important - you have great attitude about not allowing it to affect your way of life, so it will be OK! Get better quickly!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
thanks.... just an update....

I had to reschedule my surgery... now Im not going in until November some time...

yeah.. it pisses me off, but I didnt want a DIFFERENT surgeon going into my knee... waiting for the SAME DOC to get in there and work his magic.....