Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

It finally happened

Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
It finally happened

Nope, didn't have a get-off. I got tagged by a scorpion. Installing insulation, which is worse than a sting by one of the little *****, and broke my rule of always looking where I put my hands. Thought I got stabbed by a wood splinter, that thought lasted about a nano second as my thumb went all tingly and burning. That was Wednesday, today the tip of my thumb is still numb. Getting better, but will be a couple more days before it's back to normal. About 4 hours after it happened the skin on my wrist and up to the inside of the elbow felt I had been burned. On the bright side I knocked off early and went to my shop and repaired a nice compressor that was given to me because it would trip the breaker on start up. Took about five minuets to pull the unloader valve, spray some brake cleaner through it and back on. Runs perfect now. It's been a strange week. Last week end my dog got tagged by a rattlesnake. Right where dogs usually get it, right in the muzzle. She's fine took a couple of days for the swelling to go down and no narcosis at the point of the bight. I wish I was that tough. Almost forgot, killed a Brown Recluse spider out by the pool and have seem to have lost the only set of keys to the GF's daughters car. The bike is running great, so I'm happy.

Last edited by xeris; 08-14-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add text
Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash
I've noticed over my fifty years of riding and tinkering that there was a calmness in my life through most anything, if the bike was well sorted out. By the way, I repaired oh so many compressors with "bad" unloaders as a repair tech. Still amuses me to make that kind of a repair. That's how I got my current compressor. Mostly, I had to "repair" their attempts before bringing it to me. Lol
Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Ok I am never moving to Arizona.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:43 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CrankenFine View Post
Ok I am never moving to Arizona.
More reasons:
A spotted skunk came into the house through the dryer vent and took up residence in the laundry room, twice! https://vimeo.com/144564644
While I'm sitting in the kitchen listening to a pack rat in the attic I hear a strange buzzing coming from near the stove, I look to see what it could be and there IN THE KITCHEN is a two foot long rattlesnake!
The wildlife in the area are now on notice that I have gone Rambo and will not take any prisoners.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Dude, two months ago I got stung by a stingray... WTF. I'm in the ocean one hour a year and one of these stupid fish got me. Furthering my distrust of the sea. Most painfull thing I've ever experienced. Still have to have an encounter with a scorpion, though.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:07 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris View Post
More reasons:
A spotted skunk came into the house through the dryer vent and took up residence in the laundry room, twice! https://vimeo.com/144564644
While I'm sitting in the kitchen listening to a pack rat in the attic I hear a strange buzzing coming from near the stove, I look to see what it could be and there IN THE KITCHEN is a two foot long rattlesnake!
The wildlife in the area are now on notice that I have gone Rambo and will not take any prisoners.
And I thought I was in the wild in Australia....
Old 11-11-2015, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 7moore7 View Post
Dude, two months ago I got stung by a stingray... WTF. I'm in the ocean one hour a year and one of these stupid fish got me. Furthering my distrust of the sea. Most painfull thing I've ever experienced. Still have to have an encounter with a scorpion, though.
Very, very scary. The ocean has many creatures, big and small that can really f up a human.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
We don't have many scorpions in the section of Oklahoma that I am in and they few and far between but brown recluses are in over abundance. That and we are experiencing an influx of fire ants. I have had to poison 2 hills this year so that my boys don't get bitten.

Last winter I had to chase a possum out of my attic. Them bitches are vicious and this one was the about 15 lbs of furry anger.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
We find one in the house maybe once every three month and it freaks me out a little. I don't mind telling you that I check my bed and blankets for scorpions before I crawl in at night. They like dark hiding places.

On the critter front we have a bobcat problem. All my barn cats have vanished. Then something violently tore a hole in the chicken house wire and killed 6 (all) chickens. All that was left of three of them were wing feathers. I found tracks on the roof of the chicken house. This was in full daylight.

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 11-14-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:27 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
So far at my house I have had 2 snakes, both in the Man Cave, a few foxes in the back yard that killed my daughters rabbits, a couple of wombats, a lot of poisonous spiders, and some possums and marsupials that get angry if you try and interfere with them.

Goes with the territory I guess, growing up here I am always on the lookout for insects , reptiles and animals that can cause harm.

Best to keep your distance and let them pass without disturbing them.

P.S I have been bitten by a wombat and it's not much fun!

Last edited by kenmoore; 11-15-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kenmoore View Post
So far at my house I have had 2 snakes, both in the Man Cave, a few foxes in the back yard that killed my daughters rabbits, a couple of wombats, a lot of poisonous spiders, and some possums and marsupials that get angry if you try and interfere with them.

Goes with the territory I guess, growing up here I am always on the lookout for insects , reptiles and animals that can cause harm.

Best to keep your distance and let them pass without disturbing them.

P.S I have been bitten by a wombat and it's not much fun!
So, I'm guessing that a wombat wouldn't make a good pet.
Australia has some of the deadliest critters on the planet. I feel lucky to only to have to deal with ordinary venomous reptiles and spiders. Thankfully there are no saltwater crocodiles here.