General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What the heck happened to the site?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
What the heck happened to the site?

I haven't been able to access it all day. Server down? Maintenance? I was starting to ungergo superhawkforum withdrawal!

My manual cam chain tensioners came in today, but I'll post my query in the tech section.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Yeah I tried to log many times today and it was down, I started worrying
Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I was getting the shakes. Makes me appreciate all the work greg must put into this site
Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Squid

OrionKeynes is on a distinguished road
Ha! I only joined yesterday and today the site wasn't there. I thought I was crazy for a second, before realising that I actually am!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by OrionKeynes
Ha! I only joined yesterday and today the site wasn't there. I thought I was crazy for a second, before realising that I actually am!!!

what a lucky man; australia, superhawk and insanity! can't beat that!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
It's rare but it does happen. Try going out to talk to your bike until life resumes. :-)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Looks like the site was down for 22 & 1/2 hours from the posts I can see. I wonder with all the activity that has been happening lately if they moved us to a new server. ****, I remember days this winter that new posts were down to 3 or 7 per day. The other day I got on there were a 158 new posts and I had only been off line for maybe 12 hours. I think it's great with all the new guys and all the building of bikes (mine included - my fairing stay arrived today - thanks Wardo!). Lots of good stuff happening here for newcomers and the veterans!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superbling
It's rare but it does happen. Try going out to talk to your bike until life resumes. :-)
I had to talk to my other bike - have to spread the attention around. Tilt and go - easy access.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I had to self medicat for the past 20 hours...I love you guys, I thought all was lost.... and then, I realized that I do have a life outside of this forum, oh yes it is true...ok, not really...but I am on the road to recovery...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Squid

Oh, man! A CBX! I bought a '79 in '82 for $2600, it had a little over 3K on it, red, and perfect. That engine is a work of art. Handling, not so much. They fixed the handling in '81, but they don't showcase that engine as well, IMHO. I almost had a chance to buy a silver '79 a couple of months ago for $1500, but a guy at work snapped it up, spent $2300 at a bike shop on a complete tune-up, carb clean/sync, alternator clutch bandaid repair, fork seals etc, and promptly sold it to my best friend for $3K.

I was bitter about it for days until I found a $250 '76 CB750F Super Sport on craigslist and hauled it home. That eased my pain. Another project.

I would've had that CBX for $1500 and done all the work myself. Those bikes (the first two years, anyway) are getting ridiculously expensive.

For a rider, I'd prefer an '81/'82. To look at, a nice red '79. But I won't have one. They're too rich for my blood.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Syncing six carbs? I had to count the cam lobes - you're right - a work of art!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Squid

Well, I went and spoke to my bike and an argument broke out between my wrists and the Handlbars (lol, I thought I was crazy but this **** takes the cake). Judge Brain has ajudicated the situation and my wrists have lodged a restraining order against the Handlbars until they are evicted and a set of Helibars are installed. So, I'm not as mad as I thought. This site has fixed one thing already... Just need to go find a local distributor of Helibars and we are all set to play happy bikes again...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

Just need to go find a local distributor of Helibars and we are all set to play happy bikes again...
Have the judge set the restitution as a used set of 90-01 VFR bars; same height as heli's for a whole lot less. You might have to grind the locking numbs on some years but typically not.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Squid

Sweet, we are in recess, until further evidence of VFR bars and reading of associated article in website is submitted.

... restraining order abolished, Wrists ordered to toughen the F#$% up until bars replaced... Thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by khanawalt
But I won't have one. They're too rich for my blood.
BTDT. Bought a cheeeeep 79 project off ebay about six years ago. Got it to running status PDQ with little fuss/$ but getting it to look good and ride well was going to cost me an arm, both legs and maybe a nut; watched stock exhausts go for $3500 and NOS tanks reach $4000! So I ended up parting it out to both ebay and an email list for about double what I had in it.

Nothing sounds like a 6-1 on the boil.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

Sweet, we are in recess, until further evidence of VFR bars and reading of associated article in website is submitted.

... restraining order abolished, Wrists ordered to toughen the F#$% up until bars replaced... Thanks for the suggestion
I sentence thee to the knowledge base forum. Don't come out until you have found thy topic. (hammer sound)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by superbling
So I ended up parting it out to both ebay and an email list for about double what I had in it.

Nothing sounds like a 6-1 on the boil.
Oh, I hope there are no CBX purists in here--they would hunt you down and...I don't even want to say it.

I know a guy who did the same thing. That friend of mine who bought the '79 is probably gonna get a set of aftermarket pipes since his stock exhaust is nearly perfect and worth more than he paid for the bike. He's gonna hang 'em in his garage to eliminate the risk of it falling over and reducing his net worth by a couple grand.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
So anyway, regarding the site, sorry about the fact I haven't been on here for most of 3 days. Hey, that's why I have other mods, dammit!!! The server went down. I called Ralph and he had to reset the damned thing 3 times before it came back up. Man, I gotta lot of catching up to do.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
SuperBike

Oh, man! A CBX! I bought a '79 in '82 for $2600, it had a little over 3K on it, red, and perfect. That engine is a work of art. Handling, not so much. They fixed the handling in '81, but they don't showcase that engine as well, IMHO. I almost had a chance to buy a silver '79 a couple of months ago for $1500, but a guy at work snapped it up, spent $2300 at a bike shop on a complete tune-up, carb clean/sync, alternator clutch bandaid repair, fork seals etc, and promptly sold it to my best friend for $3K.

I was bitter about it for days until I found a $250 '76 CB750F Super Sport on craigslist and hauled it home. That eased my pain. Another project.

I would've had that CBX for $1500 and done all the work myself. Those bikes (the first two years, anyway) are getting ridiculously expensive.

For a rider, I'd prefer an '81/'82. To look at, a nice red '79. But I won't have one. They're too rich for my blood.
you are right on all points. I got a nice deal on this, end of summer about 3 years ago - had mostly been a 1 owner in storage a long time with 4K miles on it. Second owner took it out, rebuilt the gaskets in the carbs basically and road it till 12K miles then I bought it for what I thought was fair given its condition (about $3K). He had also taken stock exhaust off and was in mint shape which alone is now worth 1500-2000 so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I had a 79 way back when and really like them. This one handles better and is much more practical but there is no denying the fairing doesn't make it better looking. Fortunately that keeps the prices down on the 81/82 years.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Well, I am glad it's back up and running fine now.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The server went down. I called Ralph and he had to reset the damned thing 3 times before it came back up.
I thought that your check bounced
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'm the Admin but I don't own the site. Besides, I know how to balance a checkbook.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad we're back! This sh#t makes me nervous, since the Brit VTR site went south last year, losing years of accumulated knowledge. Hate to see that happen to this site, as I think there's even more valuable collective wisdom here.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I know how to balance a checkbook.
You got to coach me then my check are flying like leaves on a superhawk path and bounce like a 16 years old on a R1 !!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Breathe.. breathe.... it's working, everything is ok.... (to self)

.... Okay, I can relax now
Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
I have a 1973 CB 450 Check out this sexy ride....

Old 04-05-2007, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ali_squidz
I have a 1973 CB 450 Check out this sexy ride....
nice. and minnesota plates too. where at?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
SuperBike

that was at BIR. Im in st paul
Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

I'm in southeast MN, rochester
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
SuperBike

Oh that was you on the map eh? We should meet up and ride when it warms up!! You are only an hour away!

Quick Reply: What the heck happened to the site?