Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

It finally happened. Totaled my ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
OH CRAP!
Squid

a71goatboy is on a distinguished road
It finally happened. Totaled my ride

So it finally happened after 2 and a half years of commuting. Coming up the 5 north near the 710 on Thanksgiving eve. Guy changed lanes to move up 20 feet in traffic and wiped me out. Changed lanes is putting mildly. He made a 45 deg turn into my lane with a bike length of warning. He said he didn't see me, which I can understand. I've been there, but there's no way he didn't hear me. So we hit and I lay it down at about 35-40 mph. I slide on my belly for a bit till the bike hits me and puts me into the center divider. That's when I break my ankle and flip onto my butt. I came to rest on my side cause of my backpack. The bike did a fish flop and bashed up both sides. Crank case is cracked. Radiators, mufflers, pegs and pretty much anything hanging of the sides off the bike are vaporized. The crap part of it is I just put a new chain on the night before. Chain is still in great condition lol. So people stop and help me sit up and the paramedics and CHP get there pretty quick and are surprised that I'm in as good of condition that I'm in.

Scorpion hat trick jacket - $235, Cortech Scarab gloves - $80, Shoei RF-1000 - $450 and Alpine star cold weather boots (next time boots w/shanks) - $100.
Being alive when the emergency crew gets there - Priceless

So they check me out and tell me "Wow, other than the possible broken ankle, you're doin' alright. Your gear saved your ***". So CHP calls for a tow and I call my wife and best friend to come rescue me and my baby. I get to the ER and I'm told I do have a broken ankle, but need surgery. The break is through the joint and has allowed my foot to dis-joint. So after 4 days in the hospital, 7 hours of surgery, 2 plates, a lot of screws and a lot of pain killers, I'm put back together. They say I'm healing well, but won't be able to walk till the 3 month mark and won't be 95% till 6 months. I'll tell you, all the crap I used to get about wearing my gear regardless of the temp and weather was so worth taking. It saved my skin if not my life! I will never ride without gear, EVER! Now, I just have to convince my wife to let me ride again. That will be the hardest part of my recovery.

I'll get pics up of the bike and the ankle as soon as I can. This forum has been a treasure to have when I've needed help with my bike. I hope I can get another hawk so I can keep coming here to share and learn. Ride safe guys and keep the rubber side down.

Last edited by a71goatboy; 01-08-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Text size edit
Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Thats sucks man, recover quickly. The gear is a must, now you have a few months to hunt down a suitable replacement bike.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Man I'm really glad you're alright! This forum has been awesome to me too and I've only been here for several weeks and hardly know anyone. Lots of really cool, helpful people it seems though! I really think it should be a US law that you spend 6 months riding a motorcycle to work b4 you can get your drivers license. Can you even imagine how much differently people would drive with even a little perspective from a bike? Again, really glad you're alright!
Mike G
Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Glad you survived.. ATGATT! My gear helped me back in May of last year when I was hit by an old lady who didn't see me.

Heal up quick!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you're alive and will recover. Man, you are brave riding anywhere near the 710. But then, it could have happened anywhere.

Hopefully your wife will understand what it means to some of us to ride. I talked of selling my bike about 6 years ago ('83 BMW R100RS) since I was only riding about 1,000 miles a year by then, and my wife said no way. In fact she then took the MSF course a couple months later. She got her first bike in May '05, and I bought my '05 SuperHawk 3 months later (it quickly renewed my interest). She now has over 30,000 miles ridden, and is on her 2nd bike (SV650S).

Hope you heal quickly.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Sucks that the bike sounds mangled - hope that your ankle heals up well. Once your out of the cast don't skimp on the PT yould need it to get the motion back. Right or left? if right, you don't need the rear brake anyway!
Good luck

Last edited by Stevebis1; 01-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Glad you're ok! I did my left ankle (talus) in a construction accident when I was 29 yo. I was in a cast for a year and in PT for 30 months after that. As cheap a VTR's are getting you should be able to find a nice one when you're ready.

I'm not sure he heard you. I know some drivers who wear ear buds and they can't hear **** when they have the R&R blasting. Even D&D's won't help you then.

Even if you don't get another Superhawk or even while you're shopping check in and let us know how the ankle is coming along. Good Luck!!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Really sucks. Sounds like you are on the recovery path. Thinking ahead to getting back on.
I dislocated my ankle and tore my PCL when Baby tried to rip my right leg off with that horizontal cylinder. Course I'm the *** who drifted into gravel on the shoulder of a curve. Took me nine months to walk without a limp and a year more for my knee to stabilize decent. I was mobile enough to go back to work in less than a month though. I know I would have made faster progress if I had done exercises sooner. Used my sons bowflex to do leg and ankle work and the difference in one week was amazing. Don't skimp on the rehab! (my kids still tell me this often, and I walk fine?).
All the best to you, and customizing and modifying is great therapy!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Since we're sharing...

Yours sounds a bit worse than mine.

First off, if you have a weak stomach don't use the links below... you've been warned. Now, for the rest of you sickos...

10/25/09 - My first helicopter ride. Not as much fun as I'd hoped. They did let me go home from UVA Med. Ctr. after relocating the ankle & resetting the tibia & fibula 2 or 3 times. Surgery 2 days later. Outpatient Good - hospital food sucks. Dang, I had always hoped my first titanium would be a nice exhaust.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqnAu6J

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV5vd9J

It looks MUCH better now. I can walk without crutches finally.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 01-07-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that, but also glad to hear you're going to be ok. I had a bad wreck about 10 years ago when someone went to change lanes on the highway, didn't see the bike next to them, panicked, swerved back into the lane they were in and completely lost control of their car. Spun around several times and collected me-I was directly behind them. I get mad at myself for not being able to avoid it, but it happened so fast...it was just one of those freak things. Anyway tib/fib in two places, tore up my knee (PCL still gone) and ankle, and smashed my foot pretty good, breaking all the toes. Was bleeding for months. Couldn't walk for several months, and it took me a year before I could run again, and only because I worked out like madman. Still I consider myself lucky considering I went over his hood like superman at about 80-90, and the frame on my superhawk ripped in half. Best of luck with your recovery brother...

I always preach about wearing gear. I think most really fall short below the waist. Lot of folks are smart enough to wear helmet, jacket and gloves, but stop there. If you're not wearing full racing leathers (who does on the street) a cheap and very effective solution for the lower legs are dirtbike or mountainbike knee/shinguards. I've bought several different pairs used off ebay and have "field tested" them as well during a lowside. They fit perfect under pants and also work wonders to block the wind & keep you warm when the temp drops. Also everyone needs a pair of good motorcycle specific boots. Good used stuff is cheap on ebay. No reason to ride without gear! Ride safe everyone!

Last edited by captainchaos; 01-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Thank god your ok! hope the guy has insurance!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:10 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Still I consider myself lucky considering I went over his hood like superman at about 80-90, and the frame on my superhawk ripped in half.
Damn!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I think I am going to put calf high motorcycle boots first on my list for gear next season.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Damn, sorry to hear about your luck there bro. Here's to getting on the "good foot" soon.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Ouch. Those types of situations are the worst, because the driver is just focusing on saving 10 seconds of time and not signalling or checking the mirror.

I really get worried when I'm in freeway traffic and one lane is moving much faster than another, because that's when people dodge over, and its 10x worse when splitting lanes because you have no margin and maybe no escape route. I'll split lanes all day long if both lanes are moving at the same pace though.

Good luck on the recovery and hope insurance treats you well.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I think I am going to put calf high motorcycle boots first on my list for gear next season.
I should look at those too. My steel toe boots don't have much ankle protection at all. I like being able to wear a boot though that is comfortable for walking around.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
just tell the wife you'll make a deal wtih her. you give up the bike if she gives up breathing. she can start holding her breath now since you aren't riding for a while.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Sooooo.......

What did it take for all you crash warriors to ride again? How come you didn't move on to a less perilous hobby? Just how did you go about damping down the SO's anxiety when you did remount?

The crash stories are cool, but there are further chapters, I know there are.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM
OH CRAP!
Squid

a71goatboy is on a distinguished road
Big thanks to all

You guys rock! Some of you did fair much worse than I in your accidents. It puts things in perspective and actually boosts my confidence for the day I do get back on the horse. I love the idea of telling my wife to hold her breath. That solves more than one problem Thanks for the support. I will definitely keep you guys posted on the recovery. It has to happen fast for me because I'm starting a linemen’s class in Feb and I have to be able to climb power poles by the third month. So I'll take the advice on the PT and working out. Thanks again. Be safe, keep the rubber side down
Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Sorry about the accident, and I hope you mend quickly!!!
If you're looking for a replacement SH, Mine's still for sale, and I'm in the LA area! :-)
Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Sooooo.......

What did it take for all you crash warriors to ride again? How come you didn't move on to a less perilous hobby? Just how did you go about damping down the SO's anxiety when you did remount?

The crash stories are cool, but there are further chapters, I know there are.
Not much...getting back on my bike was all I could think about. Not going to stop doing something I love because of an accident...I saw a friend months later and without saying a word to me he walked me down the street to his garage, opened the door, I handed him my crutches, he handed me the keys to his TL1000, and he walked away. Couldn't walk but I could ride. What a feeling! When I got back he had a huge smile on and said "I knew you needed your fix." Then after two years restoring a GSXR racebike I got to ride past where I had my accident and yelled out loud inside my helmet. It was part of the recovery, at least for me.

Last edited by captainchaos; 01-08-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Indeed.. gotta ride. Took more seat time than I expected to get fully comfortable on the bike again. But not long at all to get riding.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Dualsport
Squid

98SKS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I have been riding with Sidi boots since 1995.
They are Combat Touring Boots ,got them from Aerostich catalog.
Takes some getting used to wearing the big boots all the time,but
they are well worth it.Along with all the other gear of course.
Since 95 I have been hit by a truck ,a Maxima(nice 40 foot slide), and
had a lowside all by myself. Never broke anything,just really sore for awhile each time. I have Arai , VansonLeathers , and Sidi to thank for still being here.
And almost forgot the Dragon Jeans.

Last edited by 98SKS; 01-09-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Dualsport
Squid

98SKS is on a distinguished road
Good luck in your recovery a71goatboy.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by a71goatboy
It has to happen fast for me because I'm starting a linemen’s class in Feb and I have to be able to climb power poles by the third month. So I'll take the advice on the PT and working out. Thanks again. Be safe, keep the rubber side down
Every moment of every waking hour - wiggle your toes. Every chance you get at the office to give the girls a crotch shot - it's called elevating the injury. Do NOT start PT before they give you the OK or close to it. Hehe!

Buy a hot tub and invite the nurses.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I borrowed an automatic trans car (couldn't push the clutch in in the old vette) so I could get to the gym asap & started doing leg press & squatting before I could walk...still had a big gap in the bone in my leg on the xray but I figured what the hell...there's a rod in there holding it together But then again I've been playing sports and lifting weights a long time so I know when to push and when not to. I was fortunate enough that pushing hard and blacking out every day in the gym was a good thing for me. First they told me not to be an *** lol, shortly after they told me they normally don't have people do their own physical therapy and told me they had nothing left to offer me...Recovery from this stuff isn't easy but work hard and you'll get there. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Squid

cosean is on a distinguished road
I'm happy to hear it was only the ankle, like it's been said, it could have been a lot worse. It's been said that everyone who rides will have their one bad crash, hopefully this is your one and only.
I got mine out of the way (hopefully) riding my first bike, Honda nighthawk 550. Hit some gravel on a corner, bike hit an enbankment and flipped me into the woods as someone else stated, "superman" style. My luck was high this night because I missed every single tree and completed about three or four summersaults before coming to rest against a large pine tree. My buddy who was with me got off his bike and was running for the nearest house to call 911 and thought I was dead. He couldn't believe it when I came stumbling out of the woods with just some bruises and scratches. The bike however was a different story. I sold it to a friend for $50 so my parents wouldn't see it. Bought a brand new Yamaha YZF600 the following spring. Live to ride, ride to live.

I'm new here, haven't had a bike for 10 years, wife and kids tend to do that I guess. Against my wife's best wishes I bought a Hawk this past October, always loved the twins. Thank you all for the useful information on this forum, my little winter projects for the bike are coming along quite nicely.

Bill
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Squid

NVDutchie is on a distinguished road
the fact that your alive and able to wake up and see your wife & baby everyday, far outweighs anything !!
your bike can be replaced ...
you will be walking again ... just a little patience my good man !!
Goodluck on a speedy recovery !!!
proper gear is a must !!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Squid

enjoype09 is on a distinguished road
It finally happened Totaled my ride

Didnt realize that section was for ride reviews too, someone want to go grab my 675 vs CBR thread and move that too?