Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Bruise of the day

Old 04-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Bruise of the day

Well this showed up today.......

I guess it is pretty oblivious where the heel cup on a pair of A*s stops......
I will say once again that the only reason I have no ankle injury is exoskeleton boots.
It really doesn't matter which brand (A*, Sidi, Daytona, etc) as long as they have the bracing. This bruise is from where I took out the heel guard. I'll post the bike pics either later today or tomorrow (still kind of depressing to go out to the garage...) IMHO, if I had been wearing a standard pair of boots I would have broken my ankle or worse.

Bruise of the day-003.jpg

Bruise of the day-004.jpg

As it is I have a bruise but no ankle pain what so ever.

And while I'm posting bruise pics check these out.....

Bruise of the day-009.jpg

Bruise of the day-010.jpg
Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
glad you're okay. Sounds like a lowside?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well yes it was a low side.... here is the story so far.....

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22171

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22217
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I read an article in 'Motorcycle Consumer News' written by a physician who rides a bike about injuries like yours...
he said that there is a real danger of "deep compression tissue damage" resulting from an impact like your experience.

Are you under the care of a doctor with experience in such bruising? The bad result could be atrophy of the marrow and loss of the foot. Hard to shift with a prothesis. If you haven't had it checked out (x-rayed etc.) probably should. Osteopath perhaps?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I wonder how your typical helmetless, shorts, tank top and sandal wearing Hog rider would have fared....
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
I read an article in 'Motorcycle Consumer News' written by a physician who rides a bike about injuries like yours...
he said that there is a real danger of "deep compression tissue damage" resulting from an impact like your experience.

Are you under the care of a doctor with experience in such bruising? The bad result could be atrophy of the marrow and loss of the foot. Hard to shift with a prothesis. If you haven't had it checked out (x-rayed etc.) probably should. Osteopath perhaps?

Well I needed 7 stitches to close up the wound above my knee, so I had all that neat stuff done (x-ray & a CT scan plus something else....really wasn't paying that much attention by that time) while I was in the ER.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
I wonder how your typical helmetless, shorts, tank top and sandal wearing Hog rider would have fared....
That's easy.....dead.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 PM
MotoGP

Question/observation: just wondering why you were on that part of the road when the right side, the side you'd be riding normally, appears smooth? By the looks of that deep crevice, it seems like if it bounced your stiff front airborn as in wheelie, then your rear tire would have hit the crevice with much more force than had the front been level. This would have catapulted your ***-end upward abruptly. Bites the big one!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
What ankle? Man, that's some swelling there Mike...Ouch!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
Question/observation: just wondering why you were on that part of the road when the right side, the side you'd be riding normally, appears smooth? By the looks of that deep crevice, it seems like if it bounced your stiff front airborn as in wheelie, then your rear tire would have hit the crevice with much more force than had the front been level. This would have catapulted your ***-end upward abruptly. Bites the big one!
Well you might not be able to see it in the pic but that part was covered in gravel, so I was more to the left..... that's also why the front tucked so hard....
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
What ankle? Man, that's some swelling there Mike...Ouch!
Actually just a bad camera angle.... or I just have fat ankles......lol

No swelling at all and it didn't even hurt, that is why the bruise was such a surprise....
Old 04-17-2010, 04:51 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
IMHO, if I had been wearing a standard pair of boots I would have broken my ankle or worse.
Yeah, I lowsided my Beemer with High Leather A-stars. One of the horizontal cylinders caught my foot before I started my rolling in the gravel. Dislocated ankle and twisted my knee pretty good. Limped for eight months till I started working out the ankle and taking a couple of supplements for joint rebuilding. Not sure how different boots would have helped but my foot pointed 90 degrees to the side until the Doc spun it back into place. The pain was very intermittent and unpredictable but every once in awhile I'd hit that real bad position and almost black out. Five years later the damp weather makes itself known and I have to warm it up a bit if I sit too long, but I'm an old **** so that was gonna happen anyway. Heal quick. The bikes usually look less and less seriously damaged as time passes. Thought Baby was a write off at first, but only needed a tank and bars.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
BTW, knee was a PCL, which they don't repair unless you're a pro ballplayer or something. Had an inch of movement at its worst and it gradually tightened up some as it healed. Still more movement than normal. No pain at the time, might have been shock or the interest in seeing your body parts in positions that god never intended! Worst pain was the x-ray tech holding my foot flat on the table for pics.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

Well you might not be able to see it in the pic but that part was covered in gravel, so I was more to the left..... that's also why the front tucked so hard....
that explains it. Right side looks good in the pic, but not that good, huh. Hope you heal fast and get that Hawk copasetic so you can enjoy what those of us on here love to do.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
First of all, I lived in SF back in the day of drum brakes and Dunlop k81's.

My worst crash on my lil' BSA 350 single was on a San Bruno mountain road (off 11 or 9 but I can't remember) road like in your photo but even narrower and leading to a blind 90 degree left over a single-lane bridge! Needless to say my BS’r and me flew low after touching the mud near the edge of the tarmac and parted company at maybe 45+ mph. My first edition in US Shoei full face saved my life but I still got a bad concussion. I was alone and lucky but so head-bounced I got lost and ended up on a Indian (native people) trial in Big Basin State Park. I then stupidly rode back the 90 some miles into the City, parked my BSA, went upstairs and tried to wash the gray grime off my face, went to bed Saturday afternoon, and woke up Monday morning for work. Never got any medical attention. Years later when I had an X-ray when I broke my nose big-time playing pick-up, gear-less, tackle football in Balboa Park (I'd moved down to Dan Diego), the doctor said he saw evidence of at least one good concussion on the x-ray. I knew what concussions were but never realized until the doc explained the symptoms that my disorientation and the gray grime was not dirt at all but my skin color, and meant I was in shock and never should have laid down let alone gone to sleep.

Bottom line, I will not ride on roads like that out of choice and if I do have to, only at a very cautious pace.

Heal up. I hope to be on 2 wheels by June if my shoulder surgery and PT so permit.

This injury, which also included tearing up my left elbow, both wrists, 2 ruptured disks and a cracked rig was due to an 18 mph face-plant (front wheel collapsed) on my bicycle. And I was gearing up too. My Bell saved my like and my Joe Rocket MC jacket (I wear it during the winter) was shredded!

Gear is a lot cheaper than medical bills. Spend money on yourself first, and then the machine!

And practice, practice, train, train and practice. You are never too old to improve.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I agree. I rode DeLuz Road, out of Temecula to Fallbrook, about 26 years ago with some friends, and I didn't like it. No centerline and blind corners, beautiful road though. But I don't ride roads with no centerline. I don't trust the cagers.