Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Anybody Up To Speed On On-Bike Camera Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Anybody Up To Speed On On-Bike Camera Options?

I'm looking for a camera to mount on my Superhawk for taking videos. My number one priority is for it to use SD cards. Anybody got opinions and information on what's available?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Most digital cameras cameras have a video option. My Fuji works pretty well for shooting vids. I use a Ram Mount (http://www.ram-mount.com) attached using the 2 tank mounting bolts, but mounting to the steering stem is probably better.

I also use an Oregon Scientific ATC2K to do rear facing vids. Not so great quality, but it works.

Friends like the GoPro Wide.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Motorcycle Consumer news (think it was them) did a multi-page article/comparo on the various options.
If I remember right they liked the Go-Pro HERO-wide camera as the best bang/buck.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
agreed, go pro hero wides are the best in the couple hundred $ range imo. ive been trying to pick one for a while, and i definitely like the quality of the go pro.

theres also the vholdr and vholdr hd. great quality images but they tend to shake a little and the mic is utter CRAP. distort way too easily. they are pretty small compared to the go pro though. theyre more bullet shaped than the go pros point and shoot camera shape.

picture qual and sound qual the go pro wins pretty handily. look up the camera models on you tube to get an idea of how the quality is.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
YAMAHA HAS A REALLY NICE SET UP: MOTORSPORTS HERO WIDE ANGLE, 170 DEGREES WIDE ANGLE LENS, 5MP SENSOR, PART NUMBERGCR-09NCA-WD-AG RETAIL BOUT $200, WE HAVE ONE AND WE USE IT ALOT, WORKS REALLY WELL
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
There is only ONE choice; the go pro hero (chose wide or reg) B&H photo has em for $147. I use them for LRRS/CCS racing and as an instructor at the race school. Go to VIMEO.COM & type in SmokinJoe & I have posted some of my races on there. Nothing could be easier than this cam. I have mouniting plates on the front & back of 3 bikes & the cam pops from one to the other in a minute. Its waterproof and has a feature that direct sunlight wont even wash out the picture. It downloads onto 2gb cards & you can get more for $10 each. No external hookup either is req