Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

American flag burned outside US embassy on 9/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
this so called democratic republic is a joke. Voting for any candidate is an insult to your intelligence. Campaign financing assures that elected officials are soley responsible to corporations and wealthy lobbying groups like aipac, so the majority of americans are left holding their *****. Alexis DeTocqueville was right when he said, as long as america is good, america will be great; when america ceases to be good, it will cease to be great.

Unfortunately, we are now experiencing the decline of america, and a lot more rapidly that I would have predicted.

yeah, there are still a lot of people doing well here, mostly dual income households, but when divorce hits or one person loses a job, the party is over.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
that's kinda why I wrap back around to term limits as being a key. My thought is that it will keep politicians from making a career of it, stopping the long term relationships that "others" have with them that really have no place being part of the process.

Nate, I think your comment about "doing well" is a subjective thing. I don't measure "doing well" as a function of how much I make or how many things I have. Overall, our quality of life, even at lower levels is far above what most of the world experiences. I'm not saying we don't have gaps, but there's not famine and starvation as is the case in other places.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Not trying to tell you guys how to run your country, but an idea would be to freeze the taxes and bind the salary of the politicians to the financial result of the country... Ie, if the national debt increases, they get less paid, and if they instead start thinking before spending, they get more... Somehow I imagine most of the blatant stupid spending would be voted down then... But it's not going to happen, since they would fight to the death to save their privileges...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Nate, I think your comment about "doing well" is a subjective thing. I don't measure "doing well" as a function of how much I make or how many things I have. Overall, our quality of life, even at lower levels is far above what most of the world experiences. I'm not saying we don't have gaps, but there's not famine and starvation as is the case in other places.
true.....Everything is subjective. A person who loses his job, his family and house can look at a blind person and feel he's lucky by comparison. Speaking of the blind, we have problems in this country that most can't or don't want to see now, but a look at the prison system which is the largest and still growing by leaps and bounds, the legal and illegal drug cultures that are sucking money via crime, phony disabilities, and welfare, and you start to see where we're heading. Talk to medical, mental health, social, and prison workers and you'll discover how many more dysfunctional people there are here today, and the drug companies and doctors, many of whom are fueled by unbridled greed, are throwing gasoline on the fire, and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted by Tweety
Not trying to tell you guys how to run your country, but an idea would be to freeze the taxes and bind the salary of the politicians to the financial result of the country... Ie, if the national debt increases, they get less paid, and if they instead start thinking before spending, they get more... Somehow I imagine most of the blatant stupid spending would be voted down then... But it's not going to happen, since they would fight to the death to save their privileges...
true.....that said, there's no shortage of ideas here, just that those who have the kind of ideas you're talking about have been stripped of their power to influence what corporate and special interest money have usurped. Not only do these entities have the power, but their obsessive emphasis on what that got them there will dictate that they will follow the money and eventually sell out to emerging economies like china and further spawn economic disaster for this country.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Let's say we have a system where everyone one of you has to give me a doll hair each day. I run the system, I make the rules, I benefit from it. You want me to change those rules? Yeah, not happening. If anything, I will change it to more doll hairs each day. Our system is not one that is governed by the people, and it cant be changed by the people. It is in the control of a few with the majority of benefits falling into their laps. I mean, who wouldnt want this system? What, the one paying all the doll hairs? So, you vote in a new guy. He meets all the old guys. They tell him about the vast amount of doll hairs they could have. He doesn't change the system or even try. He just tells you that it is far more complicated then he thought (Ron Johnson). Who would have thought.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Let's say we have a system where everyone one of you has to give me a doll hair each day. I run the system, I make the rules, I benefit from it. You want me to change those rules? Yeah, not happening. If anything, I will change it to more doll hairs each day. Our system is not one that is governed by the people, and it cant be changed by the people. It is in the control of a few with the majority of benefits falling into their laps. I mean, who wouldnt want this system? What, the one paying all the doll hairs? So, you vote in a new guy. He meets all the old guys. They tell him about the vast amount of doll hairs they could have. He doesn't change the system or even try. He just tells you that it is far more complicated then he thought (Ron Johnson). Who would have thought.
That's the thing... Disregarding any difference of opinion, you, I, nath and the rest on the forum are ordinary guys, so we have use of our common sense... To become a career politician it's obvious you have to hand yours in at the door...

Unfortunately, the only viable option to actually change the rules, are a revolution, and that creates about as many problems as it solves...

Our current Swedish governement have actually done a couple of things right, so the balance is about 50-50 at the moment, but wikings have never been the most democratic people if their leaders angered them, I think at last count the tally was 3 to 2 for dethroned kings in Sweden for the peasants vs the other kings and lords bickering and replacing each other... I see no reason politicians should be anymore above the people than kings...

In fact Sweden would probably not be Sweden as today unless one of the three original kingdoms hadn't been left without any nobility at all, after an angry mob of peasants eradicated two whole lineages before their anger abated, leaving that kingdom ripe for an overtake...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 AM
MotoGP

That's the thing... Disregarding any difference of opinion, you, I, nath and the rest on the forum are ordinary guys, so we have use of our common sense... To become a career politician it's obvious you have to hand yours in at the door...

Unfortunately, the only viable option to actually change the rules, are a revolution
texter twitter tweeters revolting. haha..... only if you took their I-Pads, SUVs, air conditioners, fast food restaurants and mirrors away.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Can I get one of their IPads? I've been wanting one. Seems like that's something the government should do for me.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Re: The flag burning

Is burning stuff on a city street without permission illegal in the UK? I wonder why the fire dept. wouldn't just get a couple of high pressure hoses hooked up to a fire hydrant and put the fire out?

Regarding the size of govt. and spending. Bear in mind, the US population has increased by over 100 million since 1970. That is an increase greater than the population of most developed countries. Maybe it's been mismanaged a bit but the only countries that are larger and growing faster that I can think of are India and China. I'd rather live here.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
I don't believe they can keep this up without collapsing the economy and ruining the country.
I do believe that it's too late on both counts. Any democracy that disenfranchises the "of, by and for the people" is already ruined IMO. Now it's of, by and for those who finance my campaigns and screw the average joe.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
It is a slow day in the small Dakota town of Pumphandle and streets are
deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt and living on credit. A
tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and
lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms
upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs
next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt
to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his
supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the
local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to
offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel
owner. The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so
the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms
are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves. No one produced
anything. No one earned anything... However, the whole town is now out of
debt and looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

This is how Obamanomics works.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 AM
MotoGP

i don't know about the economic optimism part, but Obama had the opportunity of the century, of a lifetime at least, to turn this country around, if indeed this is even possible considering the deficient caliber of our citizenry. 20 years of another phony war, stupid Reganomics that flipped the scales on the unions with the air controllers instead of evolving to another level, a tankerload of the two Bushes bullshit coupled with an explosion of arrogant american imperialism, and now we have the ball-less, patronizing Obummer closing the lid of the dumpster so we can stew in our own waste. Maybe this is the ultimate justice.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

motokraft is on a distinguished road
religious wars : people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by motokraft
religious wars : people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend
My religion is better than your religion. Lol spoof song, it's funny as hell!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
I agree with Reagan and FDR on striking and collective bargaining by government workers, but you're right about the other presidents you mentioned.
my thinking on reagan setting a precedent with the air controllers was another missed opportunity to advance the economic system to a new level. History tells us that not having unions allows employers to abuse their workers, and that too strong unions paralyze employers, so neither is the answer. All reagan did was to flip the scales back to what we already should have learned is not a satisfactory resolve.

a perceptive leader would never just revert back to what was already proven to be wrong. Instead he would have sought other solutions like economic incentives to companies who meaningfully include employees, or employee-owned companies, or other more amiable, less adversarial relationships. If he would have tried to reinforce initiatives that encourage companies and employees to work more as one, we might be in a different place by now. Competition has its place in business, sports, and many other endeavors, don't get me wrong; but it should not be considered the end-all-be-all. Society should be designed to meet the needs of all, not just the greedy and aggressive, or the one that just happens to have power at a particular time in history. Survival of the fittest is for animals who are programmed mostly to act instinctively, not for civilized, intelligent, sensitive, thoughtful people who have the ability to go beyond simplistic solutions that are inherently counter productive for any modern society.