Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

No longer need front end!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Squid

BigRed is on a distinguished road
No longer need front end!

Well, it finally happened. Some jerkoff decided to back into my bike, bend stuff, and drive off.
From what I can tell with the fairings still on, the forks are likely bent as my front fender is tweaked in a way that either means bent stanchions, bent axle, or both. Possibly damaged the lowers. Triple tree appears unharmed at this point. The right clip-on is also bent up. The front wheel and rotors appear ok and I was able to take it around the block.
I've already come across Rick's part out post and contacted him, but I'm really looking for a completely stock front end for around $300 shipped to Seattle, WA 98134.

What I need:
-Stock/un-tuned front end assembly - forks, axle, probably triple tree(black).
-Right clip-on in black.
-A fork brace would be nice and I'll pay extra for it, but not required.

I would prefer it not to require an overhaul but would take it if the price is right.

I understand everything I'm looking for can be found on ebay, but I'd rather put cash into a fellow 'hawk riders' pocket before I buy from an online salvage yard.

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help me get back on the road soon!

Last edited by BigRed; 04-06-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: crisis averted
Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Loosen the triple clamps and top stem nut and see if the forks will realign. Sometimes they can be just tweaked in the clamps and not really bent. There is hope for that since it was backed into and not a crash at speed.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Squid

That was my intention, but the more I think about the damage, the more certain I am that at the very least the stanchions are bent, especially considering the twisting motion applied to them against the steering lock.
But I'll pull the front end apart tomorrow evening and get back to you. In the meantime, still consider that front end sold - I have cash in hand!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Back Marker

UCF Eric is on a distinguished road
I've got an entire front end from triples to brakes and clip ons.

Where are you located?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:40 PM
Squid

I'm located in Seattle, WA 98134.
I currently have a deal worked out with Rick for his upgraded front end, but now you have me curious.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Back Marker

UCF Eric is on a distinguished road
I'm in Florida, farthest away from you as possible.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Squid

Thumbs up

I had the opportunity to take the front end apart today and it looks like everything is okay!
I removed and inspected the forks and axle - all appear straight and I still get smooth movement. No kinks seen. I was able to get things straight by loosening everything except the preload nuts and tweaking the triple tree back and forth until things looked straight again.
I want to give RICK major kudos for offering some advice rather than just taking my money, cuz I was ready to send a fistful of money his way. I guess there really are some damn good people in this world!
Thanks Rick!

Though I gotta admit, I'm still tempted because #upgrades, but I'll focus on more urgent needs for now.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BigRed
I had the opportunity to take the front end apart today and it looks like everything is okay!
I removed and inspected the forks and axle - all appear straight and I still get smooth movement. No kinks seen. I was able to get things straight by loosening everything except the preload nuts and tweaking the triple tree back and forth until things looked straight again.
I want to give RICK major kudos for offering some advice rather than just taking my money, cuz I was ready to send a fistful of money his way. I guess there really are some damn good people in this world!
Thanks Rick!

Though I gotta admit, I'm still tempted because #upgrades, but I'll focus on more urgent needs for now.
I had a feeling it was not bent at all.

If you still want to upgrade, I recommend just buying the correct springs and valves for your weight from racetech and DIY install yourself. Now if you want to buy mine and use that as a motivator to drop some pounds then it may be better option ha ha. That's what my plan is for my SV. cheaper to drop weight to match the 185# shock that re-springing it