Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

In need of longer clutch and brake lines.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

jdavidc85 is on a distinguished road
In need of longer clutch and brake lines.

I installed some apex adjustable handlebars on my SH and now I am looking for longer brake and clutch lines. Probably looking to go ith braided stainless. Anyone have any input or experience with this? Thanks for any info!!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jdavidc85 View Post
I installed some apex adjustable handlebars on my SH and now I am looking for longer brake and clutch lines. Probably looking to go ith braided stainless. Anyone have any input or experience with this? Thanks for any info!!
I have 4" Apex bars at the full extended 4" and am using Galfer line for the brakes and Goodrich for the clutch. Straight off the application chart, nothing custom.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I had a good experience with Galfer. They'll make any lengths you want for only a few bucks more than a stock length set.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 AM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Great info, thx! E.marquez did you have to trim your fairing to achieve your handlebar position?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 AM
MotoGP

Great info, thx! E.marquez did you have to trim your fairing to achieve your handlebar position?
I did.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...compare-28808/

Erik
Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Pashnit.com is running a special on Galfer lines until the end of July. $93.95 delivered for front and rear brake lines. Choice of colors.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Marquez, both your brake and clutch lines fit at stock length at full extension on bars? So i may not need extended lines, correct? Any room to spare or is it tight when turning?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
MotoGP

Marquez, both your brake and clutch lines fit at stock length at full extension on bars? So i may not need extended lines, correct? Any room to spare or is it tight when turning?

Yes both lines fit. STOCK LENGTH? No idea, I never measured them against anything else..

I know I ordered lines for a Super Hawk, and fit them on my OEM brakes + stock bars. Then reused them with my 6 pot GSXR calipers, then again reused with my 1" rise VFR bars... and now using them still with APEX bars. I did change the routing and clamp points.. and it is at full stretch when the front end is extended.. and I WILL order new longer brake lines... two fold, I'll feel better with a little more slack, and what I have is 6 years old... OTOH, I'm comfortable with what I have for now, and rode the bike to work this morning.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Only because I did this mod too, with just the 3" risers, I ordered new braided steel lines from HEL Performance Stainless Steel Motorcycle Brake Lines.
Great people to work with, they did not charge me any extra for custom length and carbon color.
I am sure the guys at Galfer and others are great too, it's your choice.

I ordered 2" and 2&1/2" longer for the front brake, and routed them to work well for me, but you could probably get away with shorter. I ordered a longer clutch line too, I think 3" longer, but have not put it on yet. I re-routed the stock line by removing it from the from hold-down grommet.

Also my throttle cables are routed outside the fork leg instead of inside in order for the stock length to work. You may find a better way to route.