Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Got the time(ing)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Got the time(ing)?

Anyone here ever check the base timing on their bike? Was it out? By how much? What method(s) did you use?

Anyone here ever degree their cams? Were they out? By how much? What method(s) did you use?

Also, since this thread talks of timing ..... what of this FP ignition advancer?!?! Dare I ask ..... why "only" 4 degrees of advance?

Lemme know. PATIA!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
cam timing. yes. but only on stage 1 cams designed to 'drop in' - never checked the stock cams. But on a motor with 14K on it, I found mine were about 3+ degrees off. I used a degree wheel, and dial indicator, calculating lobe centers. I had slotted sprockets so I could correct it.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cliby
cam timing. yes. but only on stage 1 cams designed to 'drop in' - never checked the stock cams. But on a motor with 14K on it, I found mine were about 3+ degrees off. I used a degree wheel, and dial indicator, calculating lobe centers. I had slotted sprockets so I could correct it.
DO tell more about the slotted sprockets? Stockers that were modified or ..... ?

I'm sure the cams were Moriwaki, yes? Come to think of it, are there any other alternatives?!?!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Slim
I'm sure the cams were Moriwaki, yes? Come to think of it, are there any other alternatives?!?!
Yoshimura made some also Hot Cams
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I was told I could just slot my stockers easily - a very reputable builder even said just get a die grinder and do it, or another just use a round tail file - you only need a few degrees movement. I wimped out, thinking I wanted the slot completely perfect on the radius etc, which I'm sure is all unwarranted worry and just got come from Falicon, they still had them in stock.

like mike says, in addition to moriwaki, yoshimura had some and I think there is yet another one out there. Search a post for specs on the cams and somewhere I compred both stage 1 suppliers specs to stock - its minimal difference in lift but the timing is different and they are grind to be a drop in item. I wonder if you might not get most of the same improvements by just adjusting cam timing on the stockers - my guess is you'd get most of the stage 1 benefits by doing that. But I was bored one day and wanted to spend money I guess..................
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cliby
I was told I could just slot my stockers easily - a very reputable builder even said just get a die grinder and do it, or another just use a round tail file - you only need a few degrees movement. I wimped out, thinking I wanted the slot completely perfect on the radius etc, which I'm sure is all unwarranted worry and just got come from Falicon, they still had them in stock.

like mike says, in addition to moriwaki, yoshimura had some and I think there is yet another one out there. Search a post for specs on the cams and somewhere I compred both stage 1 suppliers specs to stock - its minimal difference in lift but the timing is different and they are grind to be a drop in item. I wonder if you might not get most of the same improvements by just adjusting cam timing on the stockers - my guess is you'd get most of the stage 1 benefits by doing that. But I was bored one day and wanted to spend money I guess..................
Pfffft. ONLY the cams?!?!? No high compression pistons?!?!?!?! Wussy!

(yeah, i'm serious ..... unfortunately - LOL!)
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Slim
Pfffft. ONLY the cams?!?!? No high compression pistons?!?!?!?! Wussy!

(yeah, i'm serious ..... unfortunately - LOL!)
Bill does have HC pistons.... did you read the sig line?? which he does need to add to now as I know of a couple of parts he has added.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Bill does have HC pistons.... did you read the sig line?? which he does need to add to now as I know of a couple of parts he has added.
I SAW THAT!

(runs away)