Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

yet another CCT question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Squid

Eddie is on a distinguished road
yet another CCT question

My cct on the front cylinder decided to call it quits .. and I took the valve covers off here is what i found- the chain came off the exhaust cam stayed on the intake cam .. the exhaust valve was not in the open position and i was wondering about the posibilities of having a bent valve?

Also ... Is it easier to pull the whole motor to check and R/R the CTTs and pull the valve and piston top to check make sure they are not pooched

Can I order the APE CCTs online somewhere.. or should i go to my honda dealer and special order them

Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eddie
My cct on the front cylinder decided to call it quits .. and I took the valve covers off here is what i found- the chain came off the exhaust cam stayed on the intake cam .. the exhaust valve was not in the open position and i was wondering about the posibilities of having a bent valve?

Also ... Is it easier to pull the whole motor to check and R/R the CTTs and pull the valve and piston top to check make sure they are not pooched

Can I order the APE CCTs online somewhere.. or should i go to my honda dealer and special order them

Thanks in advance
Check the valve clearances, if they're well out of whack, it's bent.

Depending on how quickly you shut off the motor, and how many miles it's done, you're better off replacing the cam chain. Get one for a Varadero, as they're usually half price.

No need to pull the whole motor, you have to drop the oil cooler down (no need to disconnect flexi pipes) and it's easier if you remove the rads, though it's possible to do it with them in situ (I didn't, I removed them, as you have to drain the coolant to get the head off anyway)

You won't be able to get APE's from a Honda dealer I don't think. There's a few online sources been posted, and one lister who fabricates them himself ..

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Squid

Eddie is on a distinguished road
Update.... Valves are not bent... pulled the head off . checked chain ,valves, piston top ,guides all is good... the only thing that is broken is the damn spring in the cct .....lucky I think!! Now just to put it all back together and order new ccts

Thanks for the advise paul
Old 08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Go buy a lottery ticket. You are very fortunate!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eddie
Update.... Valves are not bent... pulled the head off . checked chain ,valves, piston top ,guides all is good... the only thing that is broken is the damn spring in the cct .....lucky I think!! Now just to put it all back together and order new ccts

Thanks for the advise paul
Wow, nice one, every time i've heard that a CCT let go, it's done the valves. 2 if you're lucky, 4 if not. The valve clearance check trick is good, it would have meant you didn't need to pull the head, but better to be safe and tear the whole thing down to check it out.

Putting it back together is interesting. Check and double check the timing, as it's tricky getting your head around the revolutions betwen firing stokes between the front and back pot. I've posted a lot on this in the past, so check my past posts.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
What's the deal with failed cam chain tensioners?? I've heard about this problem but 10 years and 54,000 miles later still no problem.

Should I expect these to fail any time soon?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
You cannot really know when it will fail. All you know is that it WILL fail at some point, and it will be very damn expensive to fix. My suggestion is to either two new factory ones, or buy some APE manual ones ASAP.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I'll take your advice. With as many miles as I have on this bike it's a good idea. A catastrophic failure is something I wouldn't want to happen of course (although it would provide the excuse to upgrade the top end with h.c. pistons).

I love this bike!
Name:  VTR98.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  47.1 KB
My '98 FireStorm: Yoshimura full system exhaust, Yoshimura Stage 1 cams,
Stage 1 Dyno-Jet kit, K&N air filter, EBC Street Racer clutch, Corbin seat.

Last edited by storm_rider; 08-22-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by storm_rider
What's the deal with failed cam chain tensioners?? I've heard about this problem but 10 years and 54,000 miles later still no problem.

Should I expect these to fail any time soon?
I would guess that your luck is running out. Mine failed at 14K. Put in APEs just to save your self some time and money. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
As I've stated in the past, I searched the archives until my eyes were bloody and at 16K miles I parked her. I couldn't sleep at night without waking up to a broken motorcycle with no funds to recover from a major failure.

I had the APE's in the crate but no time to do the install myself. Finally had a local wrench put them in for me. Lucky for me he was having one of his "on" days and the install went very well.

The engine is smoother and quicker to the throttle. Might just be my imagination but minimizing the lash in the chains makes it quicker to come on out of the turns.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk
As I've stated in the past, I searched the archives until my eyes were bloody and at 16K miles I parked her. I couldn't sleep at night without waking up to a broken motorcycle with no funds to recover from a major failure.

I had the APE's in the crate but no time to do the install myself. Finally had a local wrench put them in for me. Lucky for me he was having one of his "on" days and the install went very well.

The engine is smoother and quicker to the throttle. Might just be my imagination but minimizing the lash in the chains makes it quicker to come on out of the turns.
It's probably true. Nuhawk, do you have any experience setting up a Factory Pro carb kit?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The FP jet kit is the preferred setup for the Superhawk. Refer to the archives and search jets, or factory pro, I have the settings printed down back in the shop. If you can't find them in the archives I will post tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

What is this "Archives" you speak of? And if you could post the settings tomorrow, that'd be great.